psychiatry personal statements

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by icebreakers, Jul 25, 2006.

1. icebreakers

icebreakers Member

Any RULES to keep in mind before i begin my personal statement for residency?

Is it alright to be a little artistic when designing my theme/thesis. that is what i did for my med school personal statement.

any suggestions? tips on getting started. once i get inspired...i usually have no problem writing...but i'm having difficulty getting started though. not sure if i'm getting to lazy or something else.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hurricane

Hurricane Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I asked the PD of the psych program at my med school when I was writing mine last year. He said "write about what makes you you." Which sounds very cliche, so I asked him to clarify. He said that when he was reading these statements, he wanted to know how the person got to the point they are now, what their motivations were and how they developed. He did NOT want to read a list of reasons why psychiatry was the greatest field on earth, and he had a particular pet peeve about personal statements that start off with a story about a difficult patient and how you the medical student were the only person on the whole treatment team who was able to sniff out their subtle psychiatric issues.

Anyway, I thought it was good advice. I started to think about my parents and how my attitude towards learning developed from them, and after that it just flowed.

Good luck!

4. Doc Samson

Doc Samson gamma irradiated
    Physician

Attending Physician

There are folks out there who will count the number of "I" statements made as an assessment of possible narcissism. Not saying it's meaningful, but people do it.

In terms of getting started, recalling the moment you started to think about psychiatry as a career option cen be helpful... try to capture that "Aha!" moment.

5. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps Walker, Texas Ranger

Medical Student
    So how many "I's" are too many? In the interests of good writing, I try to limit the number of times I use that term. However, it is a personal statement, so a certain number of "I's" are necessary...I'm not sure if we are talking about people who start every sentence with "I" or if it is something more subtle than that. :confused:

6. psychmom1

psychmom1 Junior Member

Pre-Medical

So what if you are like me and have always known psychiatry was your passion and interest (I'm still an undergrad)? Do you say that after all those years of undergrad and med school? What about med school interviews? Do you say that you have a relentless passion for a specific field b/c you honestly do, or do you play it up and make it sound like you don't really know and you could go in any direction (considering I do love medicine in general and look forward to all of the different experiences I will encounter)? It all seems so contradicting in a way.

7. Doc Samson

Physician

Attending Physician
    Always? You must've wanted to be a vet or a police officer or a ballerina or something first. Writing about making the decision as a 10 year old (and why you made it) would be a pretty cool start.

8. Doc Samson

Physician

Attending Physician
    I'd shoot for 8 or less, definitely avoid double digits.

9. tatabox80

tatabox80 Super-Duper Member

Attending Physician
    Hi Guys,
    Just wondering I plan on pursuing a psych residency with plans of going into child psych. Should I address that in my personal statement? Or should I be more general in my reasons for pursuing psychiatry?

10. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Don't say that you love the field of medicine so much, that you read the NEJM while on the can.

No joke. Saw it with my own eyes.

11. littlepurplepil

Resident [Any Field]

You saw them on the can? :smuggrin: