psychiatry program suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

underwood0130

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted people's opinions in terms of what programs I should apply to (and maybe do audition rotations at places where I might be more competitive this summer). Also how many programs should I apply in general? 30? 40?

Currently a third year at a US allopathic school (average state school).
Step 1: 196 (first attempt)
Step 2: don't know yet. Planning to take it in August/September
Clinic rotation grades so far: Medicine B, Family med A-, Neuro B+, Psych A, Child Psych A, Peds A, Surgery: n/a yet

Research: Some. 1 publication from undergrad. A research fellowship on a public health project between 1st and 2nd year
Extracurricular: Involved in leadership for psych interest group. Some volunteering with high school students

I am mainly interested in academic/university programs in the northeast and California (family ties), but also open to some programs in the south and west (arizona, oregon, utah, etc). Interested in going into academic medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

You could probably apply to 20 and interview at 5 to 10 and do just fine.
Also, from my experience nobody seems to care if you are in bottom third. I graduated #5 in my class and nobody cared, if they even knew. Step scores mattered a lot more.

You could probably apply to 20 and interview at 5 to 10 and do just fine.
I know it's probably safe to rank 5 in general, but I think ranking a few more would be better. And just in case some place seems terrible after interviewing there, you should interview at more than 5 to be safe. So I'm aim to the higher end of 5-10, but do agree that applying to 30-40 is probably more than necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any west coast/northeast academic programs that might be a good "match" based on my stats?

Any west coast/northeast academic programs that might be a good "match" based on my stats?
The 196 Step 1 is going to make any west coast academic program a long shot. Not impossible, so apply anyway and if you get an interview invite, you've got a shot, but it's a long one.

According to Charting Outcomes, you need to rank 10-12 programs. So I would apply to about 30 programs esp since you want to try West Coast.

I know someone that did not rank enough and not match in Psy so I would rank enough to make sure you do. And make sure not to do more competitive programs only too. Try and get a good mix.

Reactions: 1 user
Forget a big name Cali program. Try the little guys, like Kern. The further inland you go, the less competitive.

Reactions: 1 user

with your Step 1 score, i think california academic (university) programs will be pretty difficult.

the community-based programs in california (not including San Mateo) are more within your reach if you're really serious about staying in california.

definitely apply to Oregon if you're committed to a west-coast university based program, less competitive than UW or any of the UC's, but still an academic program