Psychiatry question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yosemite419

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently have been accepted to both PCOM and Touro MI, and due to my husband's situation am really thinking about accepting MI. Here is my question though. My husband is going to grad school and will have about 120 k in debt when he graduates. With the cost of my undergrad and med school loans, we are looking at owing about 350-400K when I graduate. For this reason, I am really considering Nurse practitioners, as it is less time (2-3 yrs) and we won't be so indebted. But I was wondering if anyone knows how much psychiatrists make annually. Also, do DO's get paid less than MDs? I'm curious b/c even though I like the DO philosophy, I really dont know if I can afford med school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

no, do's don't get paid less than md's. for psychiatrist salaries, google "psychiatrist salary" and see what you get. i've done it, and they make around $150k.

If you want to make a lot of $ in psych, do child psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
yosemite419 said:
I recently have been accepted to both PCOM and Touro MI, and due to my husband's situation am really thinking about accepting MI. Here is my question though. My husband is going to grad school and will have about 120 k in debt when he graduates. With the cost of my undergrad and med school loans, we are looking at owing about 350-400K when I graduate. For this reason, I am really considering Nurse practitioners, as it is less time (2-3 yrs) and we won't be so indebted. But I was wondering if anyone knows how much psychiatrists make annually. Also, do DO's get paid less than MDs? I'm curious b/c even though I like the DO philosophy, I really dont know if I can afford med school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
my bro is a child psych and is going to make about $250k in a group private practice starting next year.

HoodyHoo said:
my bro is a child psych and is going to make about $250k in a group private practice starting next year.

Where...amid "fields of corn?"

yosemite419 said:

It's one of the lower paid specialties, since there are no procedures. DO's = MD's after med school.

Child psych can be very lucrative if you are willing to work hard. The demand is sky high.

(nicedream) said:
Child psych can be very lucrative if you are willing to work hard. The demand is sky high.

Yup. Subspecialties always get higher pay in any field.

(nicedream) said:

my problem is that i don't like kids. :) i think geriatric psych would be much more interesting, but i guess less lucrative. psych isn't bad at all in terms of pay, though. sure, it's lower paid than most specialties, but you make more money than fp and have a better quality of life.

exlawgrrl said:
my problem is that i don't like kids. :) i think geriatric psych would be much more interesting, but i guess less lucrative. psych isn't bad at all in terms of pay, though. sure, it's lower paid than most specialties, but you make more money than fp and have a better quality of life.
UMDNJ-SOM has a great Geratric psych program and an even better Psych program!