Psychiatry residency on call at night

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My own experience being on-call was that the other docs, typically in the ED but sometimes hospitalists or IM had a certain amount of latitude in how they used our service. Because of that they tended to be more flexible when I was on call than the Psych NP who was always flexing her insecure ego. For example, she would have to come in at 3:00 am for the drunk whereas I’d get the call at 7:00 am so I could see them before my first clinic patient. I also made sure that I was helpful when I was called in to a case even if it was something silly like “sad patient“. How would I like it if i gave my two cents about the blood results in a case to the IM doc and he mocked my ignorance? I find that we all like to learn stuff about other areas of expertise and brag a little about our own so sharing how we helped a ”sad patient” and especially our diagnostic differential and treatment choices while simple to us is often impressive and even useful to the person calling us in. Just make sure that it is a convenient time for me.

Members don't see this ad.