Psychiatry Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderwoman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the general criteria for getting the interview and being matched for psychiatry residency? How competitive is it? Does this specialty need a certain characteristics in a physician in order to be successfull later? Thanks for inputs.;)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for all the help:confused:

It's the weekend and these are pretty general questions that can be answered other places on this site. Check out the psychiatry FAQs sticky at the top of this page to start. If you have more specific questions after reading around for a bit, then try to post, might have better luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I already read the FAQ. Thanks anyway.

You'll find that psychiatry is the least stereotypical of all fields. I.E. you'll find all sort of personalities in the field unlike other specialties that generally go for personalities of one stereotype. As a result your question is difficult to answer and varies so much from one program to another.

Likewise for competitiveness... there is a huge difference between upper and lower programs in this regard.

Thanks. I already read the FAQ. Thanks anyway.

In regards to your question about competitiveness, you may have missed several informative threads in your search of the SDN archives: for example here, here, here, and here.

Cheers
-AT.

This site: http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html has a lot of info about the number of people who apply, what board scores they have, whether or not they did research, AOA, etc. for all the specialties.

My sincere thanks to all. Sorry if you thought I'm petulant, Doc Samson. I am not a superhero, just a hard working person who wants to contribute and gain some satisfaction in return. This is a time to apply and I want to be sure.:oops:

Possibly, but it raises questions about your qualifications on the OPD Pedantic Vocabulary Scale. :laugh:

Yes, "petulance" is a particularly prescient predictor of prosperity which one might parlay into a panacea of perfectly possible products of predictable pleasure.

I was not irritated that I needed to look up 'petulance' on dictionary.com. Does that qualify me per DS criteria? ;)

Sure, though telling me that you did might make you seem a little overly obsequious. Ah - the words I've known and loved from having to fill out student and resident evaluations.