psychiatry resident evaluations, appropriate or cliche?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chairster

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks!

Just wondering, there seems to be a preponderance among our psych residents (I am one) where we are getting evaluated more on our personalities/flaws rather than our actual work performance. Of course. Of course, OF COURSE this is happening but wondering if there is any relevance to my work performance, wondering if they even care that I do a good job (I do, at least I think I do) or is this just the name of the game!

I would love to hear about the experiences of others, especially psych residents. My "identity crisis", as pointed out by my PD and attendings, has no impact on my job performance; I still put %100 effort into treatment of patients and they have favorable outcomes.

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Examples.... getting analyzed during review regarding issues with whether or not to pursue a specific sub-specialty is seen as an "Identity Crisis". Other examples would be general comments on lack of leadership amongst residents, more analysis on childhood issues affecting current workplace personality, accusations of problems with authority, ad nauseum. None of which is nearly as bad as being made to seem in reviews. As Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

(also, awesome pic of Ted Danson in The Good Place)

What is going on here? Are you saying in your 6-month milestone assessments they are assessing your childhood behaviors instead of milestones? What the hell?

Yes, this is what is going on. One resident was told he "needed therapy" to deal with his "authority issues". This is one of our best residents, very respectful/humble.
Can some readers please share what their reviews are like?

I did a psych residency and fellowship, and I've never seen anything like this. Sounds totally inappropriate.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the validation, guys. I thought I was taking crazy pills! (ala Mugatu in Zoolander)

Inappropriate.

You have got to be kidding me! That is totally inappropriate and not at all what's happening in other psych residencies. Honestly, I think this becomes a GME issue and you should think about talking to your GME about the way you and your colleagues are being evaluated.

Reactions: 1 user