Psychoanalysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shallot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed there have been several threads on the psychiatry board about the merits of psychoanalysis and psychodynamic therapies but nearly none on this board. What are your opinions about these modalities: outdated and archaic, or still critically important?

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed there have been several threads on the psychiatry board about the merits of psychoanalysis and psychodynamic therapies but nearly none on this board. What are your opinions about these modalities: outdated and archaic, or still critically important?

While some may debate the usefulness of psychoanalysis or psychodynamic modalities, I believe that these modalities have a place in psychology. It's a tool box, you use the right tool for the job.

Analogy time... many times you can get by with a screwdriver, a wrench and a hammer (DBT/Motivational Interviewing/CBT), but sometimes you need to do something a little more esoteric, where you might need a milling machine or a lathe (Psychodynamic/Psychoanalysis). It is not the tool that is really at the crux of the arguement as much can be done with a hammer... but how you use the tools that you have. The fact is that when you have other tools in your toolbox they give you the opportunity to conceptualize problems from more than one perspective, this can be useful with challenging clients.

Mark

PS - Now you can proceed to tell me I am full of it. :)

nope not full of it. Intellectually facinating, but has limits, more limits than most other therapies, and still limited validity despite attemts to study it for almost 100 years now.