psychoanalytical programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bermiedoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay in asking about residencies programs I got that Yale ( for example) has a very psychoanalytical program). what does this mean and why would i care when looking at programs? do schools "specialize" in being psychoanalytical? is this different from psychotherapy and are there schools that "specialize" in pyschotherapy?

Members don't see this ad.

Yale used to have a very psychoanalytically oriented program... A lot of the professors emeriti are psychoanalysts, but, from what I've seen, I really don't think that holds true today. In the Child Study Center, anyway, the vast majority of the work deals with biopsychosocial models. Although some of the faculty have been trained as psychoanalyts, but the research going on now includes genetics, pharmacology, epidemiology & brain imaging.

In some cities there are psychoanalytic training programs (sometimes through a psychoanalytic institute that is separate from residency program/department of psychiatry), that you can take advantage of during the later part of residency. The thorough training needed to become an analyst takes several years and can be fairly expensive so I don't know how many residents take advantage of it. I can remember there being institutes in Dallas and Atlanta.

New York is crawling with psychoanalytic institutes. The program is usually around 5 years, during which you yourself are in psychoanalysis a few times a week, and they take students with master's degrees or some other equivalent higher degree. There's some mention in one of their websites about taking second-year psychiatry residents, as well.

We had a psych interest group meeting last year where psychoanalytic training was the focus. Sounded a little bit like a pyramid scheme to me. Not to knock the basic concepts--most residency programs apparently do teach the roots of psychoanalytic therapy somewhere in the first two years--but the whole training regimen seems a little questionable to me.