psychology forum updates

Started by 50960
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

5

50960

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if any psych-forum visitors have any good ideas about how to make this forum better??

Mod in training 😉
 
psisci said:
I was wondering if any psych-forum visitors have any good ideas about how to make this forum better??

Mod in training 😉

I think something like a FAQ and Links of Interest sticky (similar to on the Dental forum, say) would be great. A lot of the same questions come up again and again (and often quickly degenerate into sniping). A fairly objective FAQ -- dealing with questions like What's going on with prescription rights? What the diff between a PhD and a PsyD? What are the "best" PsyD programs? What's the average salary of a clinical psychologist? What training is required to become a neuropsychologist? -- would be really helpful for students.
 
I think an interview area for clinical psych would be good. I liked the one they have for MDs, and would have been helpful for my clinical interviews.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Perhaps we can dedicate a master’s level section that would include MA, M.ED, Mental Health Counselors, Social Workers, etc.
 
I like the breaking news idea with updates on RxP, et cetera.
Links to APA division sites would be nice, too
Who would maintain this? I think persons from the APA (e.g., DIvision 55, etc.) may be amenable to maintenance because it publicizes their agenda to grad students. What do all of you think?
 
I also stumbled on this site originally applying to clinical, but ended up going another route....I think it would be nice if other areas of psychology would feel welcome here. I will always keep coming back because information here is still relevant to my area of psychology (since I'll be studying developmental psychopathology).

I also think info for counseling students would be nice.


I think a good idea for a thread, that somehow always stays on top, would be a group of links to: 1) US News Ranking 2) Social Psychology Org for rankings 3) Links to APA 4) Links divided for different processes of applying to grad school (ie; GRE prep, letters of rec, personal statement) - these are all available on a good website that I can't remember right now...sorry 5) links to the other bulletin boards to use during the stressful interview/application time.

I also think a stats area might be nice (again mayb e a thread with a poll that shows GRE score range, GPA range, # of schools accepted at, # of schools applied to, years of research experience. After going through the grad school process we all know that those sometimes don't matter, but nonetheless some people just love stats.
 
I am finishing my masters work fall 05.
I am trying to investigate PsyD programs but having a hard time finding the schools that offer it. Any good suggestions....