PSYCHOLOGY INTERNSHIP APPIC PHASE 11(2015)

Started by gigigirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, dropping by this thread to not only offer some support but to thank everyone who participated in the previous thread as I found it to be very helpful in navigating this difficult process.

I am so sorry to those who did not match, and I know it's easier said then done, but try not to take it as any form of failure on your part. Whether you matched to your 1st, last, or did not match, this process is somewhat of a crapshoot, for lack of a better word.

I interviewed at the following sites that are in phase 2, PM me if you have any questions about them!
Saint Elizabeths Hospital
Ohio Psychology Internship- Forensic track
Oklahoma Forensic Center

Good luck!
 
Hi all,
i didn't match, i was expecting not to i guess i am not crippled with emotions.
Here are the list of sites available:
https://www.natmatch.com/cgibin/instdisp.pl

i have a question; i have a practicum site willing to take me on but the spots are limited and i have to make decision soon. At the same time i want to exhaust all possibilities by applying to phase 2 and phase 3. Any suggestions on how to handle this situation?

Thanks


Hi all,

I want to just start off by saying this: Keep your head up. You'll make it through the next year, and some of you may yet find yourself on internship in 2015. When I didn't match last year, I had the same dilemma: Apply for practicum or gear up for phase II and post match vacancy. I ended up doing both, and I'm glad I did. I got the practicum that eventually led me to have more success in my applications this year, and ultimately, I found that my practicum supervisors were very supportive of me pursuing internships in Phase II and post match vacancy (and in case nobody has mentioned this yet, there will be many good opportunities in post match vacancy). At first, I felt a little decietful and tiptoed around the subject, but eventually one of my supervisors straight up recommended I apply to a newly available internship in the post match vacancy, at which point we had an open discussion about my desire to start as soon as possible and not wait for practicum to end. I know not all supervisors are the same, but I have found that most people have been extremely supportive and understanding throughout the process.

Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi folks - first post here. I sadly did not match on Friday and am also applying for Phase II.

I was also curious about the Jesse Brown VAMC Crown Point position and just got this response from the TD:

"The Crown Point intern spends the majority of his/her time down at our CBOC in NW Indiana, engaged in clinical activities such as doing general outpatient work, PTSD-focused treatment, and assessments in our intake clinic. It’s a really strong place to get EBP training. We’ve also provide good exposure to treatment through the clinical video telehealth modality. The intern can come up to Chicago 1-2 days per week if desired for additional minor rotations/didactics—the former are a little tougher to enumerate because they would be highly dependent on the day of the week the intern is on site here, but I could see someone engaging in suicide prevention calls, the addictions treatment program, or administrative rotations up here, among others. Of course, the travel is ultimately optional, as most everything you’re expected to do that happens in Chicago can be attended by telephone/videoconferencing. The Crown Point position is fully integrated into the rest of our training program, meaning that you get the same access to me/same didactics as everyone else.

Specifically, the health psychology offerings are somewhat less distinct in the rotation structure. Starting this next year, I expect to incorporate a Primary Care-Mental Health integration component into training there (we hired a new psychologist in that capacity, but he’s needed the opportunity to get adjusted before taking on a trainee. The population is pretty diverse, although I should point out that NW Indiana was home to a lot of National Guard units returning home from deployment over the last few years, so the OEF/OIF/OND population is non-trivial in size."

Not extremely sure if I'll end up applying, since I'm a clinical health psych student and the health component doesn't seem so strong.

If anyone has any feedback on good health psych sites that are available in phase II, I'm extremely appreciative. (I've been told by advisors and peers that Denver Health Medical Center and the Memphis VA all have good health psych training.)
 
Please anyone who has any experience with the Louisiana School Psychology Consortium or the SIU School of Medicine & Springfield Public Schools and the Livingston County Special Services Unit of the Illinois School Psychology Consortuim PM me?
Thanks
 
How many letters of recommendation are you setting with your applications? Are you looking at Phase I info for those directions? That's what i'm doing but i'm not sure if the rules are different for Phase II.
 
How many letters of recommendation are you setting with your applications? Are you looking at Phase I info for those directions? That's what i'm doing but i'm not sure if the rules are different for Phase II.

i am following phase 1 rules and sending 3.
 
How many letters of recommendation are you setting with your applications? Are you looking at Phase I info for those directions? That's what i'm doing but i'm not sure if the rules are different for Phase II.

I'm following the brochure guidelines. For ones that say just say submit 3 or no more than 3, I'm submitting 3. For ones that say a minimum of 3, I'm submitting the 4 that I have.

Also, these cover letters are killing me. Going to practicum, teaching, doing minor stuff for my dissertation (which I have to do, not just trying to be productive) and then these apps are all just burning me out worse than it probably should. I feel like I'm going to need to seriously catch up on sleep and some other self-care activities after these are in.
 
I'm following the brochure guidelines. For ones that say just say submit 3 or no more than 3, I'm submitting 3. For ones that say a minimum of 3, I'm submitting the 4 that I have.

Also, these cover letters are killing me. Going to practicum, teaching, doing minor stuff for my dissertation (which I have to do, not just trying to be productive) and then these apps are all just burning me out worse than it probably should. I feel like I'm going to need to seriously catch up on sleep and some other self-care activities after these are in.

This is my first post since I got the news about not matching. I've been reading the other posts and this forum has really helped me to feel not so alone in this.

I'm totally with you on neglecting my own self-care right now. I've ordered pizza twice the past 3 days and this process has pretty much consumed my life! I had to teach tonight, and I thought it was going to be rough, but once I got there it was actually really nice to think about something else for a while.

This process is BRUTAL and I'm reapplying to a site where I had interviewed (it was my #1 choice), so I'm trying to rewrite everything AND request additional (or updated) letters of recommendation in the hope that the site will give me another chance if I win them over. I have had dozens of emails back-and-forth with my advisor/DCT and I'm starting to feel pretty worn down by the lack of sleep and general feeling of being unsettled until this whole thing is over.

We are so close, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, but it's definitely going to be a big push to get everything finished tomorrow. I can't believe that they tell us the bad news on a Friday and then we have less than a week to sort this all out. I guess it's good in a way because there really wasn't any time for self-loathing!
 
Last edited:
So does it matter when apps are sent in for phase II? I read that the directors all get the applications after thursday, but then this line (specifically the bolded) scares me.

"The "frenzy" of application submission that you may have heard about from previous years is hopefully a thing of the past."

DGCali, I know its brutal. So much work was put off to go to these interviews and I am catching up on everything. Hang in there!!!

Also, pizza twice in 3 days!! Sounds like good self-care to pizza lover like me 😛
 
My understanding is that the applications need to be in by 11am EST on the 26th. I believe the training directors will have access to the submissions after that. Even if we have until Thursday, it still feels like a frenzy! I've easily already spent 30-40 hours since Friday. Home stretch!

I'm quite the pizza lover myself, but I mainly did it out of convenience from being so immersed in this process. Plus, each time I ordered a large pizza and basically ate the leftovers for breakfast, lunch, & dinner. My apartment is an abomination and the dishes are really piling up. I'm looking forward to some serious relaxation this weekend!
 
It's so so brutal!! On a side note it's also amazing how much work can get done under intense pressure.

Phase II
1. Receive crushing news about not matching
2. Have a few hours to cry/stress/catastrophize
3. Push intense feelings aside and look at Phase II sites.
4. Write cover letters and revise essays (do approximately a months amount of work in 4 days) all while battling fears about not matching.

This has been so difficult, everything about it. I'm at my externship now waiting for a testing case to come in and thinking about how much work I have to do. sigh.
 
This is my first post since I got the news about not matching. I've been reading the other posts and this forum has really helped me to feel not so alone in this.

I'm totally with you on neglecting my own self-care right now. I've ordered pizza twice the past 3 days and this process has pretty much consumed my life! I had to teach tonight, and I thought it was going to be rough, but once I got there it was actually really nice to think about something else for a while.

This process is BRUTAL and I'm reapplying to a site where I had interviewed (it was my #1 choice), so I'm trying to rewrite everything AND request additional (or updated) letters of recommendation in the hope that the site will give me another chance if I win them over. I have had dozens of emails back-and-forth with my advisor/DCT and I'm starting to feel pretty worn down by the lack of sleep and general feeling of being unsettled until this whole thing is over.

We are so close, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, but it's definitely going to be a big push to get everything finished tomorrow. I can't believe that they tell us the bad news on a Friday and then we have less than a week to sort this all out. I guess it's good in a way because there really wasn't any time for self-loathing!
What do you mean we hear bad news on Friday? *edit oh you meant phase 1.. You scared me 😉 *
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's so so brutal!! On a side note it's also amazing how much work can get done under intense pressure.

Phase II
1. Receive crushing news about not matching
2. Have a few hours to cry/stress/catastrophize
3. Push intense feelings aside and look at Phase II sites.
4. Write cover letters and revise essays (do approximately a months amount of work in 4 days) all while battling fears about not matching.

This has been so difficult, everything about it. I'm at my externship now waiting for a testing case to come in and thinking about how much work I have to do. sigh.

I couldn't agree more! This has really tested my resilience, and challenged me to think about myself in new ways and be able to present my qualifications/skills so that potential sites have some sense of who I am and what I'd be like as an intern. I feel worn down but optimistic. This forum has been my saving grace!

I'm stuck right now pondering how many sites I will apply to. I really only like 2 that are in the geographic location I desire and have the specific training needs I seek, but I had applied to both sites in Phase II (interviewed at one of them). I've completely revamped my materials and my letter writers have been wonderful to submit updated letters. I know it would dramatically reduce my chances of matching this time around, but I'm considering just going for it and hoping for the best! I didn't rank all of my sites in Phase I for the same reason--I don't want to settle for an internship that is not ideal for my needs, and I guess that means I'm willing to do this again next year, if necessary. I've sure learned a lot from this process and my materials would be stronger the next time around... but it's too bad that it adds an entire year!

Hopefully things will work out for all of us this year!
 
It's so so brutal!! On a side note it's also amazing how much work can get done under intense pressure.

Phase II
1. Receive crushing news about not matching
2. Have a few hours to cry/stress/catastrophize
3. Push intense feelings aside and look at Phase II sites.
4. Write cover letters and revise essays (do approximately a months amount of work in 4 days) all while battling fears about not matching.

This has been so difficult, everything about it. I'm at my externship now waiting for a testing case to come in and thinking about how much work I have to do. sigh.

Would it be possible to take off from things in order to focus on applications instead of stressing out?? I think we sometimes feel like we can do it all and do not practice self-care. Good luck either way.
 
WHEW just finished uploading all my materials. I'm kind of scared to submit with the semi-delirious/very exhausted state I'm in... May get up early to verify everything and just submit then.
That felt like such a sprint. 😕

Hope everyone is doing well and already done/close to done with all their materials!
Good luck all my fellow phase-II'ers :luck::xf::cat:
 
Finally just finished submitting applications! I ended up going with 12 sites, even though I'm really only excited about 2. I figured it can't hurt to increase my chances at this point. Good night and best of luck to everyone!
 
So are folks planning on sharing if they get phase 2 interviews here?
I'm open to it. My colleague said that last year she got an offer within a few hours of submitting her applications. Two weeks later on the Wednesday before match she was offered an interview, she interviewed that day, ranked it on Thursday, and matched on Friday!
 
So are folks planning on sharing if they get phase 2 interviews here?

It could be beneficial since some here received interviews during Phase I and thus, could answer possible questions for Phase II interviewees. I personally did not interview at sites that remain open during Phase II, but I know some did.
 
Yeah, this process definitely makes me doubt myself. At times I question my CV because I received (very) few interviews in Phase I, but then i compare myself to colleagues with very similar experiences as me who matched and had TONS of interviews. It's very confusing. I'm hoping that Phase II is nicer to us all. Good luck!
 
I agree it's been super confusing. Definitely will be looking to elicit feedback from sites after phase II if I don't match again to see if I can gain any insight into a potential issue with my app.

My hopes are not super high for matching given that the stats are just not in favor of it (also only applied to apa accredited places). So I have started planning for next year, should I not match again. I think I will try to work in a different practicum setting, get as far along in dissertation as possible and work on some manuscripts I have been putting on the back burner. Anything else people have found particularly helpful in improving their application if they've had stay an extra year?
 
I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all the support that's been passed around. I have had some disappointments and blows in my life, but not matching first round was one of the most difficult ones especially when you think you interviewed so well, and colleagues around you got matched left and right. After a night of no-sleep and waking up to sorrow, I took a nap, woke up, and said, hey, the world didn't end and there are still great sites out there! So here we are now.

In Phase II, I applied to 20 sites- I know, A LOT! But they were all truly sites I could see myself doing well in. I chose 15 APA sites, as well as 5 non-APA sites in California. As a Californian, I am also planning on applying to some CAPIC sites next week. I've spent entirely too long and waaaay too much money during my graduate career to postpone a year to reapply. It's a personal choice that I had to make to potentially have a non-APA site, but they will be my last choice.

Here's a question: I thought we were supposed to still get MATCH-NEWS from APPIC concerning Phase II sites but I haven't received any since the terrible 20th. Has anyone else gotten emails?

I hope we all update one another on our process, the interviews to come, and be able to gain information on sites and interviews. It's nice to have a community who are in the same boat. My colleagues who matched have been incredibly sweet and empathetic and I'm ABSOLUTELY happy for them. But I'll also admit that I'm sometimes bitter and just want to sulk while they want to celebrate. It's difficult, but as I've been told so many times "these things happen for a reason".

Sidenote: I think the worst thing I've been told to cheer me up is "Trust in the process". Now, as a psychologist, I use to LOVE that phrase. In my practicum, we used to say it all the time during group sup. But when I was told to trust the process of APPIC Matching, I just felt this Hulk-like rage appear. This matching process is totally BS to me. I dislike it soooo much. Ok, rant over.
 
I hear you...I applied to non-APA sites as well and am hoping that i may have a better chance with those sits. I also feel like i've been at school way too long and i need to start earning an income! I'm relieved that you haven't received any emails either 🙂 I was concerned because I have not gotten any confirmation emails saying that my applications were sent in nor have i received news from Greg. I really relate to your post (esp. trust in the process comments). Hopefully today will bring some interviews!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please keep in mind the following highlighted section regarding VA internships and employment:

"To be eligible for employment as a VA Psychologist, a person must be a U.S. citizen and must have completed an APA-accredited graduate program in Clinical or Counseling psychology AND must have completed an APA-accredited internship in Psychology, with the emphasis area of the degree consistent with the assignment for which the applicant is to be employed. The only exception is for those who complete a new VA internship that is not yet accredited."
 
Also does anyone know if we receive phase II interviews by email? I've head from some colleagues that they received phone calls but i haven't heard anything about emails.
 
Also does anyone know if we receive phase II interviews by email? I've head from some colleagues that they received phone calls but i haven't heard anything about emails.

The Phase II process for sites, like for applicants, unfolds much more quickly and may feel less organized because everyone is scrambling a bit but hang in there. It is hard to "trust the process" when you feel wounded by the process; but it does yield placements and is more humane (though still stressful and painful) way than prior systems. Remember that sites want to fill those spots. Some may use the phone and others email and confirmations may not come out in the orderly way they did in the first round. If you are really concerned about a specific site, ask your ATD to contact them and inquire. They may even be willing to do some advocacy for you.

And this IS the time to consider what waiting a year could/would mean. If you are not well along on the dissertation, then taking a year to get that done while working somewhere part-time, can be a stress-reducing option.
 
Welp, this is not off to a very good start.
Just got a pretty ambiguous rejection from River Valley Health- Frederiction stating that "due to a high volume of applications for phase II, we have had to turn away more than half of candidates." Went on to state that they prioritize canadians from canadian programs, generalist adult focus, min of 100 assessment hours. I'm not a Canadian citizen so not extremely surprised.
And with that I'm off to the gym to get some endorphins circulating
 
So sorry NeonNoire. 🙁 hang in there and hopefully you'll get some good news soon. Your post makes me relieved that most sites won't send out rejections to applicants b/c I'd rather get an invite or just not hear from them again. Rejections are painful. Good luck


Welp, this is not off to a very good start.
Just got a pretty ambiguous rejection from River Valley Health- Frederiction stating that "due to a high volume of applications for phase II, we have had to turn away more than half of candidates." Went on to state that they prioritize canadians from canadian programs, generalist adult focus, min of 100 assessment hours. I'm not a Canadian citizen so not extremely surprised.
And with that I'm off to the gym to get some endorphins circulating
 
Welp, this is not off to a very good start.
Just got a pretty ambiguous rejection from River Valley Health- Frederiction stating that "due to a high volume of applications for phase II, we have had to turn away more than half of candidates." Went on to state that they prioritize canadians from canadian programs, generalist adult focus, min of 100 assessment hours. I'm not a Canadian citizen so not extremely surprised.
And with that I'm off to the gym to get some endorphins circulating


Dang

Tbh sounds like they just needed to make cuts and found some criteria just to make it easier for them.
 
The Phase II process for sites, like for applicants, unfolds much more quickly and may feel less organized because everyone is scrambling a bit but hang in there. It is hard to "trust the process" when you feel wounded by the process; but it does yield placements and is more humane (though still stressful and painful) way than prior systems. Remember that sites want to fill those spots. Some may use the phone and others email and confirmations may not come out in the orderly way they did in the first round. If you are really concerned about a specific site, ask your ATD to contact them and inquire. They may even be willing to do some advocacy for you.

And this IS the time to consider what waiting a year could/would mean. If you are not well along on the dissertation, then taking a year to get that done while working somewhere part-time, can be a stress-reducing option.

docma, you said it so well... It is hard to "trust the process" when we feel wounded by the process.

Yesterday I was feeling upbeat, despite getting little sleep from staying up most of the night submitting applications. Today I am not exactly sure what I'm feeling, but I think this process has broken my spirit a little. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but every time my phone rings or I seen an email come in, my heart skips a beat. I am really hoping to get another interview with a site that had not ranked me in Phase 1. Something about that situation in particular reminds me of being rejected by someone you truly love and trying to do everything you can to win them over. In the end, perhaps it comes down to them being "just not that into you" for some reason, and maybe that ultimately works out for the best for everyone involved. But it doesn't really ease the pain much in the moment. I guess it did help to get these feelings out though!

Other than this forum, no one in my life really has any clue what this is like. I can explain the process over and over but it's hard for other people to understand how crushing this can be unless you've been there. Even the people who matched in Phase 1 know how crazy that process is in itself, but Phase 2 is it's own brand of misery. Seeing that crushing email on the 20th was bad enough, but the madness that ensued over the next few days was the worst part. I don't understand why we weren't given a bit more time to get things together. On the plus side, that part is over now 🙂
 
Received mass (but nicely worded) rejection from Andrus. Not a great way to start but am trying to stay optimistic.
docma, you said it so well... It is hard to "trust the process" when we feel wounded by the process.

Yesterday I was feeling upbeat, despite getting little sleep from staying up most of the night submitting applications. Today I am not exactly sure what I'm feeling, but I think this process has broken my spirit a little. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but every time my phone rings or I seen an email come in, my heart skips a beat. I am really hoping to get another interview with a site that had not ranked me in Phase 1. Something about that situation in particular reminds me of being rejected by someone you truly love and trying to do everything you can to win them over. In the end, perhaps it comes down to them being "just not that into you" for some reason, and maybe that ultimately works out for the best for everyone involved. But it doesn't really ease the pain much in the moment. I guess it did help to get these feelings out though!

Other than this forum, no one in my life really has any clue what this is like. I can explain the process over and over but it's hard for other people to understand how crushing this can be unless you've been there. Even the people who matched in Phase 1 know how crazy that process is in itself, but Phase 2 is it's own brand of misery. Seeing that crushing email on the 20th was bad enough, but the madness that ensued over the next few days was the worst part. I don't understand why we weren't given a bit more time to get things together. On the plus side, that part is over now 🙂
 
Does anyone know how long does it normally take for sites to offer interviews on Phase 2? I'm trying to remain hopeful, but this process is testing my anxiety limits to the max.
 
Does anyone know how long does it normally take for sites to offer interviews on Phase 2? I'm trying to remain hopeful, but this process is testing my anxiety limits to the max.

Seems all over the place really which totally sucks for us.

I would assume we would hear by sometime mid next week. I know one site in the late breaking news section listed that date they would notify folks by (March 5th IIRC). The sites do need time to review that apps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seems all over the place really which totally sucks for us.

I would assume we would hear by sometime mid next week. I know one site in the late breaking news section listed that date they would notify folks by (March 5th IIRC). The sites do need time to review that apps!

Thanks! I'm just trying to gauge when I really need to start worrying about not hearing anything. I'm compulsively checking my e-mail, lol… Again, thank you...
 
I received a mass rejection email from Andrus as well :-( also, an email from University of Vermont, letting me know that due to lack of funds, they won't be taking another position. Nothing else, which is making me anxious but I'm trying to remember as well that the APPIC website says notifications of interviews will be done by mid-next week so that's another few days of waiting.
 
Thanks! I'm just trying to gauge when I really need to start worrying about not hearing anything. I'm compulsively checking my e-mail, lol… Again, thank you...

I received an email from the U Denver GSPP internship regarding my application being "marked as complete".

This stood out and helped me relax a little. "We had over 200 applicants so please be patient."
 
The waiting is brutal, and the getting through the weekend is tough knowing that hearing things is less likely to occur. Also, I wish rejections were mandatory so that I at least know where I stand.