PSYCHOLOGY INTERNSHIP APPIC PHASE 11(2015)

Started by gigigirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The waiting is brutal, and the getting through the weekend is tough knowing that hearing things is less likely to occur. Also, I wish rejections were mandatory so that I at least know where I stand.
What do you mean by "hearing things is less likely to occur?" Hang in there! It's definitely not fun to wait through the weekend but hopefully most sites will start contacting us on Monday.
 
What do you mean by "hearing things is less likely to occur?" Hang in there! It's definitely not fun to wait through the weekend but hopefully most sites will start contacting us on Monday.

I just mean we are less likely to be contacted on the weekend. Although It Looks As Though Some Folks Have been. I'm just ready to know one way or the other. Meh.....i wanna do something but I can't do anything. I just got to wait....
 
I hear you...it's very hard for me to do anything (aka binge-watch on House of Cards) when my heart is racing out of my chest 24/7.

On a side note, when you look up sites via the APA website, you can see the stats for how many applied to the internship/got interviews. Does this include Phase II applicants? Or are those statistics based on Phase 1?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hear you...it's very hard for me to do anything (aka binge-watch on House of Cards) when my heart is racing out of my chest 24/7.

On a side note, when you look up sites via the APA website, you can see the stats for how many applied to the internship/got interviews. Does this include Phase II applicants? Or are those statistics based on Phase 1?

Until you asked that, I always assumed Phase I and never thought of Phase II. I know that sites are responsible for filling it out, and so I suppose it would be up to them as there is no check for accuracy.

However, after not being able to find an answer to your question, I looked up a site that I knew was in Phase II last year, and the year they were in Phase II had twice as many interviews than the year before. I am guessing it was because they had to do interviews twice in order to fill all spots. So perhaps?
 
I was contacted by VA Virginia and notified that I was on their waiting list and if a spot opened, they would offer me an interview. But, I got an interview offer from Community Reach Center 🙂. Guess they are notifying us bit by bit.
 
I was contacted by VA Virginia and notified that I was on their waiting list and if a spot opened, they would offer me an interview. But, I got an interview offer from Community Reach Center 🙂. Guess they are notifying us bit by bit.
Congrats! How did Community Reach contact you?
 
Interview invite from Wellspan today, personalized via email.

@Childdoconeday did you mean that you have been binge-watching House of Cards? Because that is what I have been doing whenever I'm at home!

Congrats on the invite! Yes! I've been trying to! I absolutely love that show but to be honest my mind is all over place...I can't give 100% to Frank Underwood right now. I have definitely been drooling over Claire's outfits though🙂
 
Interview invite from Wellspan today, via personalized email.

@Childdoconeday did you mean that you have been binge-watching House of Cards? Because that is what I have been doing whenever I'm at home!

Congrats

I applied there as well. Hope to see an invite soon. I'd imagine its a lot less mass emailings this go around.
 
Does anyone know how long does it normally take for sites to offer interviews on Phase 2? I'm trying to remain hopeful, but this process is testing my anxiety limits to the max.
I participated in Phase II last year. Time has not dimmed my memory of how horrible this all is - I am hoping you all have great news March 23! I applied to 8 sites in Phase II, and by March 6 had received all the interview invites I received (4). I hope that helps! If memory serves me correctly, most of the interview invites were out by Wednesday-Thursday of the first week in March (next Wednesday), but there were the last minute invites extended right up to the day before Rank Order Lists were due. Good luck to everyone!!!!
 
I participated in Phase II last year. Time has not dimmed my memory of how horrible this all is - I am hoping you all have great news March 23! I applied to 8 sites in Phase II, and by March 6 had received all the interview invites I received (4). I hope that helps! If memory serves me correctly, most of the interview invites were out by Wednesday-Thursday of the first week in March (next Wednesday), but there were the last minute invites extended right up to the day before Rank Order Lists were due. Good luck to everyone!!!!
Thanks for sharing your story, I always like to hear from ex-Phase IIers. So your invite rate was 50% for Phase II. Do you remember if that was better than your interview rate for Phase I? My big issue in Phase I was that i got very,very few interviews. I tried to change one of my essays and cover letters so i'm hoping for a greater number of invites. I'm curious if people typically get more interviews the second time around...
 
I'm curious if people typically get more interviews the second time around...

Might depend on varies factors, e.g., how many applied to each site, are you considered a good initial fit, based on your written materials, and, of course, on the number of apps you sent. I read that the mean no. of apps for Phase II is similar to Phase I; 12 point something or so as the mean or mode. More than 13 apps, let's say, would therefore not really increase your chance to get more intrevie2s the sec time around. At least, that's my take.
 
Thanks for sharing your story, I always like to hear from ex-Phase IIers. So your invite rate was 50% for Phase II. Do you remember if that was better than your interview rate for Phase I? My big issue in Phase I was that i got very,very few interviews. I tried to change one of my essays and cover letters so i'm hoping for a greater number of invites. I'm curious if people typically get more interviews the second time around...

Phase I, I had applied to 17 sites and received 4 interviews. I hope that helps and good luck to everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an interview invite.

However it's in person and very far away.

I'll ask for a Skype/phone interview but I wonder why they didn't offer that in the first place.
 
Got an interview invite.

However it's in person and very far away.

I'll ask for a Skype/phone interview but I wonder why they didn't offer that in the first place.

Congrats! id' prefer in-person over phone/skype. To me that would be a good sign that a sit finds in-person importnat. I read on the APPIC site that not many but some sites choose to do so and it is one option they have...it is rare but, hey, you got an interview!!!
 
Got an interview invite.

However it's in person and very far away.

I'll ask for a Skype/phone interview but I wonder why they didn't offer that in the first place.

Congratulations on your invite! Do you mind sharing where? I am just trying to get an idea if the places I have applied have sent things out yet. I hate hate the no mandatory rejections!
 
Congrats! id' prefer in-person over phone/skype. To me that would be a good sign that a sit finds in-person importnat. I read on the APPIC site that not many but some sites choose to do so and it is one option they have...it is rare but, hey, you got an interview!!!

I just can't justify taking the time off, traveling another 10-12 hours east, and dropping 1000+ for a few hours. More importantly, I just can't do that again lol. I understand that the site may prefer in-person interviews, but its my situation.

Congratulations on your invite! Do you mind sharing where? I am just trying to get an idea if the places I have applied have sent things out yet. I hate hate the no mandatory rejections!

Wellspan. However, I believe the invites are a bit more staggered this go around. So fingers crossed for you
 
I just can't justify taking the time off, traveling another 10-12 hours east, and dropping 1000+ for a few hours. More importantly, I just can't do that again lol. I understand that the site may prefer in-person interviews, but its my situation.



Wellspan. However, I believe the invites are a bit more staggered this go around. So fingers crossed for you

Cool. WellSpan is a great hospital for training purposes. I worked there for a couple of years. The Clinical Director, Alan Miller, wrote "CBT for DUMMIES!!" They are hardcore behavioral. They have a neat GeriPsych unit and back, when I worked there, they also did ECT for adult inpatients...
 
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your story, I always like to hear from ex-Phase IIers. So your invite rate was 50% for Phase II. Do you remember if that was better than your interview rate for Phase I? My big issue in Phase I was that i got very,very few interviews. I tried to change one of my essays and cover letters so i'm hoping for a greater number of invites. I'm curious if people typically get more interviews the second time around...

I matched in Phase II last year and I'm dropping in to add my support, and also answer any questions I can.

My interview rate in Phase II (40%) was much better than in Phase I (15%), actually. I think it's because I was not restricting myself geographically. In Phase I, it was pretty much East Coast only, whereas in Phase II I interviewed (by phone, thankfully) all over the country. Luckily, I ended up matching on the East Coast after all, but I definitely approached Phase II with as open of a mind as I could bear.
 
Last edited:
Cool. WellSpan is a great hospital for training purposes. I worked there for a couple of years. The Clinical Director, Alan Miller, wrote "CBT for DUMMIES!!" They are hardcore behavioral. They have a neat GeriPsych unit and back, when I worked there, they also did ECT for adult inpatients...

Heard back from the TD.

Nicely worded email about not being able to skype or do telephon interview, so no go for me. Is what it is. 🙂
 
Heard back from the TD.

Nicely worded email about not being able to skype or do telephon interview, so no go for me. Is what it is. 🙂
Wow, that is tough to hear and outrageous. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that APPIC encourages phone interviews unless the applicant is local due to the expense and general inconvenience on such a short notice. That just seems unfair and inconsiderate in my opinion from the site, and is part of what frustrates me about this process. We are entitled to get quality training, work really hard to get to this point and it seems like we are at the mercy of the training sites and that the effort we have expended is meaningless. Ugghhh…. Hang in there and I hope that a better site opens up for you!
 
I also matched last year in Phase II. In fact, that was my second time applying for the match, as I didn't match at all my first time 🙁 But anyway, I still remember how crushing, anxiety-producing, and overall terrible the process was. I also remember feeling pretty alone, with the only support coming from people on this forum. There really wasn't a lot anyone could say to alleviate any of those emotions for me, so I doubt there is much I can say to alleviate yours.

That said, there was one thing one of my reference writers told me that really helped. She said "internship is just a bleep in the radar of your career." And you know what? I'm kind of noticing that already, even though I'm not even finished with internship. I just went on postdoc interviews. The process is a lot easier and the internship application process never came up, and I do not believe it has affected me at all. I got several offers and ended up accepting an offer at a great training site. So they clearly didn't think I was of lesser value, or a lesser clinician, because of the internship process. I actually got an offer from a site that I applied to for internship last year! Same director interviewed me and everything. Kind of surreal really.

In regards to in-person interviews, I had the same thing happen to me. One site, which was my number one at the time, offered me an interview, which was awesome. Yet, they asked me to come in-person the following week. I could not afford to travel to California at such short notice, so I had to decline. It just added more stress to an already stressful situation. And, technically, sites are not allowed to do that. I ended up informing APPIC of this during one of their post-match surveys. Doubt it did anything though.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!
 
It certainly is stressful. I thought about it a bit and a range of emotions came up.

But I can't really do anything about it, just didn't anticipate having to fly out for an interview. I operated under the assumption that sites would mostly do phone or Skype interviews. May have applied to another site if I had known. It's all good 🙂
 
It certainly is stressful. I thought about it a bit and a range of emotions came up.

But I can't really do anything about it, just didn't anticipate having to fly out for an interview. I operated under the assumption that sites would mostly do phone or Skype interviews. May have applied to another site if I had known. It's all good 🙂
It is seriously way too short of deadline to ask people to come out, especially when we're talking about major interstate travel. You can look at it regretfully, possibly having "decreased" your chances. But at the same time, what a total bummer if you went out there and hated the site. Or attempted to get there and missed it anyway because of weather issues.

During Phase I, I flew across coasts to my last interview to a site I already had lukewarm feelings about and a location I had lukewarm feelings about. The morning of the interview I got a migraine and debated about whether or not to push through and do the interview, out of fear that I'd ruin my chances for matching. I decided not to go to the interview because it really was going to be a low level ranking for me (even if I loved the site, there were still many things going against it for me). Plus, I feared I would be at half-functional capacity from the headache and probably wouldn't have done great anyway. I kicked myself repeatedly for wasting all the time to fly out there, drive a couple hours from the airport, and spend the night in a hotel. It was also awkward having the conversations with the TD where I had to decline so last minute. I ultimately made peace with the decision, but it did always sting a little when I told people I didn't make it to an interview or thinking about how it affected my chances. I do understand where you're coming from, but I believe you made the right decision. You're already maxed out (financially and emotionally) having to go through this process after going through Phase I. You'd likely not be your "best self" at the in-person interview if you went anyway. I found that cognitive reframes really helped me!
 
That said, there was one thing one of my reference writers told me that really helped. She said "internship is just a bleep in the radar of your career." And you know what? I'm kind of noticing that already, even though I'm not even finished with internship. I just went on postdoc interviews. The process is a lot easier and the internship application process never came up, and I do not believe it has affected me at all. I got several offers and ended up accepting an offer at a great training site. So they clearly didn't think I was of lesser value, or a lesser clinician, because of the internship process. I actually got an offer from a site that I applied to for internship last year! Same director interviewed me and everything. Kind of surreal really.

Thank you so much for saying this. There was a sinking moment on match day when I thought will this be my entire career? Fighting to prove that I'm competent or worthy? It sucked. But hearing from others on this board and in-real-life about not matching and then going on to have just as wonderful careers as those who matched really helped to get me out of that mind-set. I think there's so much pressure and time poured into this process, that internship kind of takes on a larger than life quality, so it is definitely helpful to put it in perspective.
 
Last edited:
Anyone hear from any of the apa sites in CA?

Even though I thought I wouldn't be anxious, I keep obsessively checking my email hoping for a response lol
 
Anyone hear from any of the apa sites in CA?

Even though I thought I wouldn't be anxious, I keep obsessively checking my email hoping for a response lol

I'm in the same boat, and I haven't heard a thing for any sites in CA! I was really hoping to hear something today, and I feel like I get progressively more anxious as each hour goes by... I'm on the East Coast, so I keep telling myself, "it's 3 hours earlier in California, just be patient," but the uncertainly is hard to sit with!

I get so excited when I see a new post here, it almost feels like hearing back from a site. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is probably that APA sites get more apps and so it takes longer to sort through them. Hang in there...
 
I was just called by The Village for an interview (via phone) and emailed (personalized) by Primary Care Associates in Chicago for a Skype interview. PCA is also holding in person interviews if people are able to travel there.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but last Friday I also got an email (also personalized) from Metrohealth to interview via Skype.

I've already surpassed the number of interviews I had during phase I and I have yet to hear back from 17 of the sites I applied to. I honestly think this is for two reasons: 1. I got a new recommendation letter from my current supervisor which I think is much better than one of the ones I had during phase I (that was still positive, but not as glowing as the others and I think it stuck out) and 2. I received very little support from my school in preparing my materials and what I did get was a lot of "don't say this" "don't apply there" etc. I think once I decided to do my own thing DCTs have responded to that better.
 
I have gotten more interviews as well (3 versus my 1 from Phase I). I know now what my colleagues who received invites felt like! It feels exciting, kind of feels nice to have some hope. I wish i had this experience in phase I because i would prefer to meet people in person versus phone..i'm definitely not a phone person!
 
Today and yesterday, I received a personalized email and phone call for Skype interviews with Northwestern University (LGBT Heath track). I have not heard from any other site yet and am also waiting to hear from several VAs.
 
I heard from the Wilmington VA via email this morning. Phone interview with 3 different staff members.
 
Hi everyone, I'm yet another applicant who is "hanging in there". I was wondering if anyone has heard back from Vancouver Coastal Health, CAMH, Halifax QEII, or Kingston Consortium?

So far I have heard back from Baycrest, Eastern Health and Fredericton River Valley Health for phone or Skype interviews.
 
For those of you interviewing at WellSpan: Anyone interested in going in on a car/hotel? I'm booked for my flight but it would be wonderful to lower the unexpected costs of Phase II. PM me if interested.
 
Hi everyone, I'm yet another applicant who is "hanging in there". I was wondering if anyone has heard back from Vancouver Coastal Health, CAMH, Halifax QEII, or Kingston Consortium?

So far I have heard back from Baycrest, Eastern Health and Fredericton River Valley Health for phone or Skype interviews.

I applied to Vancouver Coastal and QEII and haven't heard anything from either site.
 
Have not heard back from Denver Consortium...*crossing fingers*
Has anyone heard from
-Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health
- Childrens Assessment Center
-Southwest Behavioral Health Services
 
Rejection: Mass Email- Trauma-Adolescent Mental Illness tract at the UC Davis Children's Hospital

I got the same email from UC Davis. The fit was a stretch for my experience and training goals, so I'm not surprised.

I also got mass email rejections from Anka Behavioral Health and CSPP Oakland Psych Services Center (both unaccredited). Has anyone heard back from any of the other APA accredited sites in CA, besides UC Davis CAARE Center?

Congrats to everyone who has received more interview invites this time around! I am still anxiously waiting to hear back from 9 sites... I'm trying to stay optimistic and practice some much-needed self-care after the ordeal last week!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think anyone mentioned these:
Invites for phone interviews from Ohio University, SUNY-Albany, and Talbert house in Cincinnati
 
Congrats to everyone on all the invites so far! Just wanted to add some places I have heard from as it has been helpful for me to read the others!
Scott & White; Family Psychological Associates, P.A. (Heart of America Consortium); Community Counseling Center; Mental Health Center of Denver (UofDGSPP Consortium). I also received an invite from Park Place last night and someone posted an invite from them Monday morning, so I guess there are some rolling invites this time around as well!