Psychology Major, Biology Minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TennesseeSkye

Be nice! I'm new here.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I decided to major in Psychology and when I told my Dad, who is a Physician Assistant, he chewed me out! He said there's no way a Medical School would take me seriously even if I did minor in Biology. He went on to add that no one really cares what your minor is. So, I called up my sister for some sisterly advice, she's a Dental Hygienist, and she said the same things! She even said I should try to get a Liberal Arts degree or a General Studies degree instead! I am very confused about what to do, because I have done plenty of homework and all the medical schools I have looked at said they want diversity in their students. So, psychology or no psychology?
P.S. This is my first thread so hopefully it works right and what not. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am a psych major. I don't have any minor. I did just fine in the admissions process. I don't think it will hold you back at all, I felt it actually gave me some interesting experiences to talk about. It's a bit easier to get into research as well since there aren't as many pre-meds fighting for psych research assistant spots as there might be in bio or chem

Ditto. I have a BS in Psych and did just fine during the application process. Good luck, don't let your parents live your life. Do what you enjoy :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Psych BS right here. IMO, it's a strength in the applications process. Psych majors are pretty common, but we still stand out against the thousands of bio majors out there. Plus, you get to do more interesting research :D

Medical schools will not throw out your application because of your major. This question comes up often, but the general answer is that you should choose a major based on what interests you, and not what you think will look impressive to Adcoms. If you're truly interested in what you're learning, you'll have an easier time studying (ie, harder to burn out) and most likely a higher GPA. It's not worth it to double major in Computational Neuroscience and Biochemistry or some other demanding program unless that's truly what you want to be doing. If you're studying what you want to be studying, it'll make the whole process of undergrad that much more enjoyable.

Ditto. I have a BS in Psych and did just fine during the application process. Good luck, don't let your parents live your life. Do what you enjoy :thumbup:

Thank you! My parents are very... involved. Lol. It's what I get for being the baby of the family. :cool:

Another question: does anyone know if medical schools are biased to any majors? Do they have ones that they prefer even though they say they like diversity?

Also keep in mind that a lot of people major in psychology. In fact, that was my original decision until I was 'converted' to Biology. I would tread carefully, so that in case you do not get into med school, it will not be difficult for you to enter a master's program.

You'll find people saying this here time and time again, but major doesn't matter. You can major in (almost) anything and it won't be a problem (excluding for things that set you up for another profession, like nursing for example).

Some people even say that majoring in something outside of the natural sciences (biology, biochemistry, chemistry, etc.) makes you look more appealing. That being said, you shouldn't major in something you don't like.

Bottom line: if you enjoy psych, major in that. It's perfectly fine. Don't worry if your dad has a problem with it.

You'll find people saying this here time and time again, but major doesn't matter. You can major in (almost) anything and it won't be a problem (excluding for things that set you up for another profession, like nursing for example).

Some people even say that majoring in something outside of the natural sciences (biology, biochemistry, chemistry, etc.) makes you look more appealing. That being said, you shouldn't major in something you don't like.

Bottom line: if you enjoy psych, major in that. It's perfectly fine. Don't worry if your dad has a problem with it.

....unless he's paying for school! I learned this the hard way...

Hello everyone,
I decided to major in Psychology and when I told my Dad, who is a Physician Assistant, he chewed me out! He said there's no way a Medical School would take me seriously even if I did minor in Biology. He went on to add that no one really cares what your minor is. So, I called up my sister for some sisterly advice, she's a Dental Hygienist, and she said the same things! She even said I should try to get a Liberal Arts degree or a General Studies degree instead! I am very confused about what to do, because I have done plenty of homework and all the medical schools I have looked at said they want diversity in their students. So, psychology or no psychology?

i feel ya, my parents especially my dad was the same way...

That was one of my majors and my area of research as an undergrad (social and biological/quantitative). Applied to 17? MD/PhD programs, 12 interview offers, 5 acceptances. It was only an issue for one of my interviewers out of all of the schools at which I interviewed.

If you're interested in psychiatry, it can be a help getting into research/shadowing... early in medical school. Additionally, it can be very useful for clinical courses and psych/neuro units. And it's quite fascinating and involves a lot of critical thinking/movies/other fun things in class :)

Thank you! My parents are very... involved. Lol. It's what I get for being the baby of the family. :cool:

Another question: does anyone know if medical schools are biased to any majors? Do they have ones that they prefer even though they say they like diversity?

just don't major in biology because it's too typical.

Members don't see this ad :)
just don't major in biology because it's too typical.
I'm going to disagree with this since I think it's a huge misconception. If you like biology, you shouldn't avoid majoring in it because it's common among med school applicants. I don't think that any particular major is going to send your app to the top of the pile anyways, and tons of bio majors get accepted each year.

inb4 lowest acceptance rate; correlation =/= causation etc etc.

Not true, at least from my view. I majored in Rehabilitation Science and am doing a Master in Occupational Therapy (obviously a professional degree setting me up for a completely different health care profession) and my application/interview experience was pretty much, "awesome! you've actually treated/dealt with patients and documented and done H&Ps! you really know what health care is like!"

Does your school offer a neuroscience major? You'll be exposed to almost the exact same coursework, and if the psych major is really a point of contention with your parents then switching to neuroscience might make things easier on you. A neuroscience degree might also make you a little bit more marketable to both psychology and biology labs if you choose to take a year off to do research after graduation. Obviously it depends on your concentration within the major.

Also keep in mind that a lot of people major in psychology. In fact, that was my original decision until I was 'converted' to Biology. I would tread carefully, so that in case you do not get into med school, it will not be difficult for you to enter a master's program.

Why would a psychology major make it difficult to enter into a master's program?

Hello everyone,

Your dad doesn't know what he's talking about. Word to the wise. Don't take advice on medical school from family members. Even if they've been through the process, it's been a few decades since that was the case and their experience may not be as valid as it once was.

You're fine with a psychology degree. As long as you take your prereqs and can demonstrate the ability to do well in them, med schools couldn't give two ****s about your major. People just tend to major in the life sciences because there's a lot of overlap between courses required for those majors and medical school prerequisites, so they can kill multiple birds with one stone.

I know exactly how you feel. My mother was and still is upset that i declared a psych major despite my bio minor. She felt that i was shying away from wanting to be a doctor. Despite how she feels about it I am still a Psych major and am happier because it allows me to have the best of both worlds. It shows that i can handle all the science courses but still have other interests. So i suggest you do what is going to make you the most happy because that will help you in the long run.

That was one of my majors and my area of research as an undergrad (social and biological/quantitative). Applied to 17? MD/PhD programs, 12 interview offers, 5 acceptances. It was only an issue for one of my interviewers out of all of the schools at which I interviewed.

If you're interested in psychiatry, it can be a help getting into research/shadowing... early in medical school. Additionally, it can be very useful for clinical courses and psych/neuro units. And it's quite fascinating and involves a lot of critical thinking/movies/other fun things in class :)

You've made me feel a lot better. :) I'm going to try and print these responses off and drop them on my Dad's lap. Haha. If you don't mind my asking where were some of those schools?
I like psychology, but I am not really interested in Psychiatry. :D I am more interested in diagnostic fields, mainly diagnostic radiology. Thank you for the advice though. :)

Your dad doesn't know what he's talking about. Word to the wise. Don't take advice on medical school from family members. Even if they've been through the process, it's been a few decades since that was the case and their experience may not be as valid as it once was.

Very good point. I'm pretty sure he finished his education before I was born. :eek:

Not true, at least from my view. I majored in Rehabilitation Science and am doing a Master in Occupational Therapy (obviously a professional degree setting me up for a completely different health care profession) and my application/interview experience was pretty much, "awesome! you've actually treated/dealt with patients and documented and done H&Ps! you really know what health care is like!"

Sorry, just going by what I've heard on here. I should have said that it can be difficult for students with different professional/pre-professional degrees (but then again, there can be problems with any degree). Glad your interviews went well!

You've made me feel a lot better. :) I'm going to try and print these responses off and drop them on my Dad's lap. Haha. If you don't mind my asking where were some of those schools?
I like psychology, but I am not really interested in Psychiatry. :D I am more interested in diagnostic fields, mainly diagnostic radiology. Thank you for the advice though. :)

Physics might be a good minor for you, as well. Physics and engineering seem to have been beneficial for two of the radiologists/residents I know :)

Some of the schools were certain East Coast programs; others were less well-known. Just do well on your MCAT, keep the gpa up, and do what you love. Interviews will be much easier if you are enthusiastic about your major and your activities, even if they don't fall within the norm of "pre-med" experiences.

Hey, I was a general psych major and eventually drifted into neuropscyh. Then, since it was only a few more classes, I also got a bio minor. I would say that your major doesn't matter as long as you have the bio, chem, o. chem, and phys (and sometimes calc) requirements to be accepted (along with all the other extra curriculars, research, vol, etc.), and then later take the MCAT. BUT, a liberal arts major with the same grades in the core science classes as a bio major would draw more attention because, yes, med schools prefer more rounded applicants. but what you should do is study want you are interested in/passionate about for a major, science or not, and then take the science classes on the side, if not your chosen major. my $.02.

what the heck is the point with minors anyway. so dumb

B.S. Psych major here...cannot say enough good things about it!

The biggest benefits however are reaped in the research, communication, development of critical thinking skills, and social environments you will be exposed to.

-Research in psychology is conducted in a very scientific and empirical manner and you will learn to be both objective and comprehensively detailed in your work. After taking research methods you will be very competent in critiquing scholarly journal articles and this REALLY helps on MCAT verbal type applications. This will be a critical skill as a physician having to keep up with all the latest research that is everchanging.

-Classes encourage discussion, writing, and presentation of current trends in healthcare, psychological disorders, neurobiological anomalies, etc. You will develop more effective social skills through collaborative projects as well as through group discussion and cohesion. In your studies you will consider all populations, races, personalities, etc. and this exposure to diversity along with the heated discussions regarding ethical, moral, and cultural domains will greatly improve your appreciation for the biopsychosocial model of clinical healthcare.

-My bio and chem major friends work very hard and their head is always down. They hardly ever question what they are learning and simply study, regurgitate, and repeat test after test. I ask them about certain concepts later on and they dont remember them because they never thought about them outside the classroom or in a capacity other than in a textbook in order to pass a test. They ask me how I do so well in the science classes I take with them while devoting less overall study time. My answer is I take the time to THINK about what is going on. Not that science majors dont do this, they just dont always do it as well with so much going on. There is an enormous difference in studying smarter vs. harder. A bio or chem degree requires a lot of grunt work/memorization and often results in the death of thought.

-In addition, my psychology major really inspired me to get out and get clinical healthcare experience (direct patient care), as well as volunteer and do things I love and am committed to rather than check things off a premed checklist and red flagging my intentions.

-Do what interests you!

I honestly don't know. Maybe I'll go without one.

Physics might be a good minor for you, as well. Physics and engineering seem to have been beneficial for two of the radiologists/residents I know :)

Some of the schools were certain East Coast programs; others were less well-known. Just do well on your MCAT, keep the gpa up, and do what you love. Interviews will be much easier if you are enthusiastic about your major and your activities, even if they don't fall within the norm of "pre-med" experiences.

Thanks! I'm going to look into physics a bit. I had heard that radiology is a lot of physics.

Thank you all for the great advice! :):):)

Other than self-enrichment, there really isn't one. Don't take a minor because you think you have to, or because you think it will make you more competitive. It won't.

Thanks! I'm going to look into physics a bit. I had heard that radiology is a lot of physics.

Thank you all for the great advice! :):):)[/QUOTE]

A physics minor usually includes Calc I & II, the Engineering Physics sequence, Modern Physics, and two electives. This would be awesome prep for radiology...but please manage your gpa... Physics isn't known for grade inflation.

Reactions: 1 user
I chose to finish what I really enjoy (business) and take upper level bio classes on the side in addition to my business courses. I think so many ppl get bio degrees that really don't care for it. Be different and stand out to adcoms!

I chose to finish what I really enjoy (business) and take upper level bio classes on the side in addition to my business courses. I think so many ppl get bio degrees that really don't care for it. Be different and stand out to adcoms!

would a business or liberal arts major have trouble finding research opportunities?

would a business or liberal arts major have trouble finding research opportunities?

I personally have not tried yet, still just volunteering, but I have friends who found research spots as social studies majors.

It goes to the age old say, "It's not what you know, but who you know". My best advice is know your prereq subject material cold (bio,chem,etc) and be truly interested in the research topic.

I personally have not tried yet, still just volunteering, but I have friends who found research spots as social studies majors.

It goes to the age old say, "It's not what you know, but who you know". My best advice is know your prereq subject material cold (bio,chem,etc) and be truly interested in the research topic.

cool, thanks! :thumbup: