Psychology or Kinesiology Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princesspeach2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I want to preface this saying that I realize that there is no "best" major for someone who is pre-PT but I have a sort of unusual circumstance that makes the major choice a little tougher.

Quick background: I'm a non-traditional student in my late 20's. I failed out of college my first semester with a 0.0 GPA, and went back in 2016 to a community college. I am on my 4th semester now, currently have had a 4.0 GPA all 3 semesters, working ~25 hours for the first 3 semesters, and ~30 hrs this semester, taking 12-16 credits. I did have a year gap after my first 3 semesters, as I had to move to the city in the middle of the semester, and then took another semester off to find a job and get experience in a different field. I was premed, then prevet, and now happily have landed at Pre-PT (I've done a little shadowing/observation in PT setting, most interested in outpatient/inpatient pediatrics)

I've only completed gen eds/pre-req classes for the prereqs (had to start over since I had a 5 yr gap, have taken stats, trig, precalc, intro bio, intro chem) and have not taken gen chem, human anatomy/physiology, bio, etc as I have been a psychology major due to the extensive sequence of science/math required for science majors, and wanting to take BCPM at a 4 yr.

Also, if I decided at some point I did not want to go to PT school or could not get in after multiple cycles, I would probably want to go into a master's program for MFT, MSW, School Psychology, etc. I would have no interest in being an athletic trainer or similar.

What I need advice on:

Now that I am planning on PT school, I am wondering if it would be more beneficial to be a kinesiology major? I was looking at the classes, and they seem like I would be learning things that would be helpful to get a background in before going to PT school, not too mention, having access to hands on-type and other related opportunities. Not too mention, I *have* to work during school, and the entry level job postings for PT clinics prefer exercise science/kinesiology majors. I also plan to move back to home state after my bachelors, and work FT for a year to establish residency, ideally in a PT setting, to gain more experience.

The issue is though that we will be moving again either at the end of this year or summer next year (we can choose when, but we will be moving), and not sure where in the city we will be living. If I am a psych major, I will meet the requirements for all the 4 year colleges in the area after 1 more semester. For a kinesiology major, I would have to take 2 more semesters at the CC level, and would be taking chem, human anatomy and physiology at the CC level. Not too mention, since I would not be able to take the recommended classes, due to impaction of their programs, I might not be able to get into the major.

The PT schools I am interested in have a note saying they prefer that the prereqs are taken at a 4 yr though, and prefer AP be upper level classes.

What would be a better major given my situation? I keep going back and forth between the two. I also am not a very "sporty" or athletic person, so I do worry about being graded in athletic type classes as well, and some schools require several P.E. sports classes as well (the only class I ever got a B in during HS was P.E.), which is concerning.

Thank you for any feedback, I have to register for classes now so I need to make a decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I say to stay in the major you are in because it seems to fit you better and has the back up options you have stated. I did not major in psychology but that field is super interesting and many of my PT professors have said that they wish psychology had a bigger emphasis in the PT curriculum. I think having the background in psychology is better in my opinion. I didnt major in kinesiology either but many of my classmates did and they said for just an undergraduate degree, its not worth it but they all knew they wanted to go to PT school so thats why the picked it but by no means does that mean you have to. My class has such diverse undergrad degrees and thats what makes it fun. They range from sciences (chem, physics, bio), athletic training, music, engineering, kinesiology. Just because kinesiology does have some movement in it doesn't mean its the only path. Get the undergrad degree you want that has the options you like and then make PT happen, dont pick the undergrad degree for PT. My classmates did that and got lucky because they got into school but if they hadnt, they have said they wouldnt have known what to do.

Last edited:
I say to stay in the major you are in because it seems to fit you better and has the back up options you have stated. I did not major in psychology but that field is super interesting and many of my PT professors have said that they wish psychology had a bigger emphasis in the PT curriculum. I think having the background in psychology is better in my opinion. I didnt major in kinesiology either but many of my classamtes did and they said for just an undergraduate degree, its not worth it but they all knew they wanted to go to PT school so thats why the picked it but by no means does that mean you have to. My class has such diverse undergrad degrees and thats what makes it fun. They range from sciences (chem, physics, bio), athletic training, music, engineering, kinesiology. Just because kinesiology does have some movement in it doesn't mean its the only path. Get the undergrad degree you want that has the options you like and then make PT happen, dont pick the undergrad degree for PT. My classmates did that and got lucky because they got into school but if they hadnt, they have said they wouldnt have known what to do.

Thank you so much for this thorough response! That is the direction I have been leaning, but I have read several personal accounts where people have said how helpful the stuff they learned in their classes as a kinesiology major was, so I was not sure. I thin you are right though, that sticking with psychology would be better in the long run.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Another random question. I have hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) mainly in my hands and feet (but also all over). I also have a weird OCD thing where I mentally will "freak out" if someone touches my feet (only if my feet are hot, or wet) where I can't stand the feeling of it (for example, I can't hold the bottom of my foot in the bath), I'm also very particular about what I touch when my hands are wet. In PT school/practicing, potentially how big of a problem would this be? I know you do hands-on practice with your classmates, but could you choose to keep your socks on and not have someone touch your feet? Is it normal for hands to be cold/clammy/sweaty? I've tried googling this, but only found one reddit article where someone discussed how having hyperhidrosis was a hindrance to being a PT, and made it uncomfortable during school.

Yeah you will definitely palpate and perform skills on all areas of the body. We do partner things where one does it first and then switch and repeat. I know that many of my classmates will get clammy due to nerves and such but I dont believe anyone in my class has that same diagnosis. I know there have been some in my class who have a certain thing that gets to them so they ask to do a test on their own but it is made known that if its due to touch, the job may not be so friendly about it when you are working with a patient and you have to do the skill. Are you fine using a glove and touching when your hands are wet? that may just be an adjustment you have to do if that works but that could impact parts of the feeling certain structures as you probably have guessed. Most classmates will be cool with it and find a different partner for a certain skill if they know someone is uncomfortable with it, but that can vary of course.

Kinesiology was super easy at my school, which helped boost the ole' GPA. I never had any physical fitness performance-based classes either.