Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Psychology prereq?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Deepa100, May 14, 2007.

1. Deepa100

Deepa100 Junior Member

Hi,
    I am wondering how many med schools require psychology as a prereq? U of Minnesota does but how common is this? I don't feel like wasting time and money unless it is also required at other schools.:confused:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus

It's common for osteopathic medical schools, too.

4. Phoenix.

Phoenix. Emdee Jaydee
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    It's not common. But I think UIC does too.

5. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central

Pre-Medical
    Since you only need to finish the pre-reqs by matriculation date (August for most schools), you have some way around it - just wait to take psych until spring and take it only if you had an interview at the schools who require it. That's what I'll be doing with Calc II - I really don't wanna take it, and I bet it's gonna slaughter my GPA, so I'm just gonna wait to take it until after I have an interview at a school that requires it or even get a conditional acceptance.

6. geordon

Pre-Medical
    How much psych are they requiring? Is it more than one semester? If not, you might want to consider checking a basic psych text out of the library, reading through it and taking the CLEP test to get the credits.

That's what I'm doing for Psych, Soc and "human growth and development" aka developmental psych.

7. Deepa100

Deepa100 Junior Member

geordon,
    Great idea! They only require one psych class but one in history, one in behavioral sciences and one in art and culture :rolleyes: I know people that did not choose U of Minn due to these extra prereqs.

8. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    It's very rare.

9. RxnMan

RxnMan Who, me? A doctor?
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    I've never heard of it being required until now. At most I saw it a few times being recommended like biochem, stats, and calc.

10. geordon

Pre-Medical
    One thing to make sure of is the CLEP acceptance policy at U MINN. I didn't realize that the BS program that I'm targeting at GWU didn't accept one of the "English Comp 1" CLEP tests, but rather accepts the other. So, I need to go back and take the accepted one. Yeah, it's a slight hassle, but a whole lot cheaper than taking the class!