Psychology prereq?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am wondering how many med schools require psychology as a prereq? U of Minnesota does but how common is this? I don't feel like wasting time and money unless it is also required at other schools.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you only need to finish the pre-reqs by matriculation date (August for most schools), you have some way around it - just wait to take psych until spring and take it only if you had an interview at the schools who require it. That's what I'll be doing with Calc II - I really don't wanna take it, and I bet it's gonna slaughter my GPA, so I'm just gonna wait to take it until after I have an interview at a school that requires it or even get a conditional acceptance.

Hi,
I am wondering how many med schools require psychology as a prereq? U of Minnesota does but how common is this? I don't feel like wasting time and money unless it is also required at other schools.:confused:

How much psych are they requiring? Is it more than one semester? If not, you might want to consider checking a basic psych text out of the library, reading through it and taking the CLEP test to get the credits.

That's what I'm doing for Psych, Soc and "human growth and development" aka developmental psych.

geordon,
Great idea! They only require one psych class but one in history, one in behavioral sciences and one in art and culture :rolleyes: I know people that did not choose U of Minn due to these extra prereqs.

Hi,
I've never heard of it being required until now. At most I saw it a few times being recommended like biochem, stats, and calc.

geordon,
Great idea! They only require one psych class but one in history, one in behavioral sciences and one in art and culture :rolleyes: I know people that did not choose U of Minn due to these extra prereqs.

One thing to make sure of is the CLEP acceptance policy at U MINN. I didn't realize that the BS program that I'm targeting at GWU didn't accept one of the "English Comp 1" CLEP tests, but rather accepts the other. So, I need to go back and take the accepted one. Yeah, it's a slight hassle, but a whole lot cheaper than taking the class!