Physics Lab Prereq Patchwork

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RocuroniumRedux

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm a non-traditional pre-med applicant hoping to apply for the 2023-24 application cycle. I've made a few career jumps, but I'm currently working in a research lab while finishing prerequisites at a local university in a DIY post-bacc. Because my undergrad degree was in chemical engineering, most of my prerequisites were already completed aside from a year of biology, ochem lab, and stats. However, I'm concerned about my previous physics coursework being inadequate for matriculation to many MD programs since it's a weird amalgam of coursework from two different universities:

1. Tested out of the first of a 3-quarter sequence with a 4 in AP Physics-Mechanics at my first university
  2. Completed the remaining 2 quarters of E&M and Waves/fluids/optics/thermo lecture
  3. Completed only the lab component for E&M/Waves/Optics, never taking the separate lab component for Physics-Mechanics
  4. After transferring to a new school which did not accept a 4 on the AP exam for Physics 1 credit, I was required to retake Physics 1 (lecture only, no lab) as a senior because of ABET accreditation concerns.
Since I'm missing the mechanics component of the physics lab series at the first institution, would I need to take this prior to matriculation? Could any exception be made since I've done well in upper division engineering labs? My local university only offers a combined lab and lecture course for Physics 1, so I can't just take the lab class there. If that isn't an option, would intermediate or advanced upper division physics labs satisfy the physics lab prereq?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would email individual schools about this. Using competency as the sole measure, you shouldn’t have to take the class. But there are probably schools who are strict about the pre reqs and want you to have the experience of this particular course and lab.

Reactions: 2 users
I would email individual schools about this. Using competency as the sole measure, you shouldn’t have to take the class. But there are probably schools who are strict about the pre reqs and want you to have the experience of this particular course and lab.
Thanks Faust, looks like following up with individual schools is my best option. I don't have a full school list compiled yet, but even then it'll be helpful to see if there's a general consensus from admissions.