Psychology Statistics- Math or Stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeIdk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My university offers a statistics course offered by the psychology department called "Statistical Methods". Will this course be counted as a 'Math' course and fulfill medical school admission requirements of a math/ statistics course- or will this be counted as a psychology course? Also. does anyone know how this will be counted in the AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, statistics offered by the Psychology department will also count for the mathematics prereq for most schools.

You can check with your academic adviser to make sure, though.

I'm pretty sure that this all depends on what the prefix of the course is. Either look it up on the amcas website or call them up. I also think that med schools only go off of what amcas dictates. Therefore, if they consider it a math course that's all that med schools care about.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Members don't see this ad :)
A similar class counted as math for me despite the psychology prefix.

My friend who applied and got into medical school last year took a class similar to that. It was titled Psych 42, which is titled Statistical methods, it worked. But for me, I took math 101, which is the actually stats method which is harder than hitting a 100 mph train head on. Nonetheless, both works.

At my school the course is called Quantitative Methods, and as long as the credits match up (both worth 3 or 4 semester credits) you should be able to use them interchangeably.

I had to take one of these courses for my bio degree. I'm pretty sure I classified it as a math course on my AMCAS app.

what if you classify it as a non science class? would amcas change it especially if its offered by the psych and not the math department?

the social science statistics courses are still statistics courses so this should be classified as math

Thanks for the replies guys. I have already taken Calculus 1, so i'm guessing no need to take an additional stats course (one that is offered by the math department, not the psychology dept lol)?

There has been a few other threads, it will count as a math class and toward your science gpa.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have already taken Calculus 1, so i'm guessing no need to take an additional stats course (one that is offered by the math department, not the psychology dept lol)?
Typically the med schools that require calculus 1 also require stats or calculus 2 as well. Look at the requirements for the schools you want to apply to to see if you need to take stats or not.

Regardless, I would highly recommend statistics. You're going to be clueless reading primary literature without it.

the social science statistics courses are still statistics courses so this should be classified as math

Is business a social science? Prob not. :confused:

What do you think about Business Statistics? It's classified as a business credit on my transcript and I hope to keep it that way on my AMCAS app.

Do you think that they will change it to a math credit? :(

I called the admissions office of one of the medical schools I applied to, and they told me to list it as math

what if you classify it as a non science class? would amcas change it especially if its offered by the psych and not the math department?

I would list it as a math because it's a nice little booster to your sGPA. AMCAS would change it if it really wasn't a math class during the verification process.

If you did badly in it, you probably could classify it as non-science and get away with it.

My university offers a statistics course offered by the psychology department called "Statistical Methods". Will this course be counted as a 'Math' course and fulfill medical school admission requirements of a math/ statistics course- or will this be counted as a psychology course? Also. does anyone know how this will be counted in the AMCAS?

take statistics from the math department. My school has one offered by the psychology department, but the best bet is the one from the math department that will fulfill a requirement from whichever med school and maybe your degree. My degree was had listed both, but I opted for the math department one.

My tip for entering borderline classes for BCPM on your AMCAS application:

Did you get an "A"?
  • BCPM
Did you get a "B" or lower?
  • AO

I had the same issue. Had to take psychology stats for my psych degree and it was listed as a psych course. My advisor told me to list it as Psych.

On AMCAS I listed it as social sciences instead of math because I didn't want to take the risk of getting it rejected and going to the back of the verification line.

I did hear of people listing courses like it as sciences and they got through but I wasn't going to take the chance.

Yeah, I had to take 2 courses in sequence for my degree in psych. From what I've read, these courses count as they are more math/statistics based than psychology based, if that makes any sense.