Psychology vs. Human Development/Family Studies

Started by jengle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jengle

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone!
What do you think the major differences are in PhD programs in Psych vs. PhDs in Human Development? I'm most interested in doing early intervention/prevention research with young children and it seems like I could do that in either type of program. Is it possible to get liscensed as a private practitioner with a degree in HDFS?
I've been trying to find this info elsewhere and have not had much luck, so any help you could give would be great!
 
Every state is different, but they are all tightening up alot. Back 10 years ago you could get a psych license with such a degree, but probably not anymore. I would go with the PhD in psych and then focus on your interest area come dissertation time. You will pretty much learn the same stuff as the other degree, and more, plus you will be able to get licensed as a psychologist. my 2 cents...

🙂