Psychology VS Psychiatry Option

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haggler

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Breifly, I began college as a business major; however, I grew disillusioned with the fact it's mostly about money. Due to some personal experienes and classes I took, I began to drift towards the Psychology/Psychiatry fields. However, I have had a lot of difficulty trying to choose between the two. I seem to be right in the middle of both of them (as far as for what I am looking for in a career), so I am hoping the knowledgable people on this site can help me better determine my route.

Here are my symptoms, what is your diagnosis? (Psych/:idea:/Psychi)
  • I can handle the sciences; however,I tend to slighly enjoy the "arts" side of things more. (Chemistry lab reports don't get me warm and fuzzy, but I could get through them.)
  • I would like to counsel patients and not just solely medicate them.
  • However, I feel the biological approach is also fundamental to recovery.
  • I don't like the idea of being a psychologist and sending my patients to get medicine from someone else (a MD). I want to treat the whole patient and the whole realm of thier problems. I would like to know that I have all the possible tools (couseling, Medication, etc.) to combat the mental ailment.
  • I feel that there are better opportunities as a psychiatrist. Namely, there seems to be more demand for them.
  • Additionaly, psychiatrists command a much better salary; however, this is only a consideration, not my primary goal. (However, if I tended to counsel more than medicate, I understand I would make less. However, does anyone know how much less? Is it significant?)
  • I like to take the road less traveled, and it seems like virtually everyone is going into psychology. This makes me lean towards psychiatry.
  • The idea of assisting in surgery, cutting up cadaviers, and spending many hours in other rotations doesn't make me excited about medical school. (In fact, everyone makes it sound pretty awful/ horrible.)However, psychiatry does excite me. Does that mean I should/ shoudn't pursue a the MD even though I would likely dislike much about the Med-School experience?
I have read books, talked to people, and nothing has helped. I just get deeper entrenched in the middle. Above are the things I am looking for. Can anyone tell me which field would suit me best? I seem to be squarely in the middle.

Thank You Very Much; Any Assistane Is Greatly Appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish Vegas took bets on where this thread is headed:luck:

On a serious note, Please use the SEARCH function for the countless threads on this topic.

Hello Everyone,

Breifly, I began college as a business major; however, I grew disillusioned with the fact it's mostly about money. Due to some personal experienes and classes I took, I began to drift towards the Psychology/Psychiatry fields. .
Score 3 for psychology.
However, I have had a lot of difficulty trying to choose between the two. I seem to be right in the middle of both of them (as far as for what I am looking for in a career), .
+1 -ology
so I am hoping the knowledgable people on this site can help me better determine my route. .
Possibly delusional ;) +1 for psychiatry :D
Here are my symptoms, what is your diagnosis? (Psych/:idea:/Psychi)..
Checklist diagnostics! +1 iatry
  • I can handle the sciences; however,I tend to slighly enjoy the "arts" side of things more. (Chemistry lab reports don't get me warm and fuzzy, but I could get through them.).

• +1 ology
    [*]I would like to counsel patients and not just solely medicate them..
    +1 ology
    [*]However, I feel the biological approach is also fundamental to recovery..
    eh--breaks even...
    [*]I don't like the idea of being a psychologist and sending my patients to get medicine from someone else (a MD). I want to treat the whole patient and the whole realm of thier problems. I would like to know that I have all the possible tools (couseling, Medication, etc.) to combat the mental ailment..
    oops--magic words--+2 iatry
    [*]I feel that there are better opportunities as a psychiatrist. Namely, there seems to be more demand for them..
    +1 iatry
    [*]Additionaly, psychiatrists command a much better salary; however, this is only a consideration, not my primary goal. (However, if I tended to counsel more than medicate, I understand I would make less. However, does anyone know how much less? Is it significant?).
    Back to business school....
    [*]I like to take the road less traveled, and it seems like virtually everyone is going into psychology. This makes me lean towards psychiatry..
    +1 iatry
    [*]The idea of assisting in surgery, cutting up cadaviers, and spending many hours in other rotations doesn't make me excited about medical school. (In fact, everyone makes it sound pretty awful/ horrible.).
    +1 ology
    However, psychiatry does excite me. Does that mean I should/ shoudn't pursue a the MD even though I would likely dislike much about the Med-School experience?
I have read books, talked to people, and nothing has helped. I just get deeper entrenched in the middle. Above are the things I am looking for. Can anyone tell me which field would suit me best? .
+1 ology
I seem to be squarely in the middle.

Final score--Ologies 8, Iatries 6
Your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.