Psychometrics Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuronstudies

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on textbooks or other resources that I can use to learn more about psychometrics? I'm an undergrad student helping with neuropsychology research and my goal is to become a neuropsychologist. I believe greater knowledge of psychometrics will help me contribute to research projects in my lab right now and will be helpful in grad school. In my advanced psych stats class I learned the basics of validity, factor analysis, item response theory, etc. so I have a bit of a foundation to build off of.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on how you’re approaching it.

If you’re administering commercially available tests like the WAIS, then reading the manual and the technical manuals would be extremely helpful. As would straight memorizing the formula for t scores (not t tests). Reading seminal articles like Greens stuff on the effect size of effort, and Rohlings interpretative method, and such would be also very helpful.

if you’re administering commercial tests, it would also be helpful to read about the relevant construct and/or neuro anatomy.

If you’re doing more home brew, test creation, electrophysiology or imaging stuff; then pretty much any R or Matlab textbook would be helpful.

Furr’s book or prices book are decent.

That being said, at this stage you should be asking your PI about this type of reading recs. Asking establishes that you are interested in going the extra mile and are willing to be a student. Knowing too much without such guidance can be interpreted as being a difficult/know it all student that would be unacceptable as a grad student.

Reactions: 1 users
It can be like drinking from a fire hose, so it's best to work with a mentor on specific areas, as mentioned by @PsyDr. I asked about psychometrics a few years ago (in relation to development of a measure), and there was some really help ful info. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Edit: Okay....7+ yrs ago. :laugh:

A great undergrad text is Psychometrics: An Introduction by R. Michael Furr. The classic text that I'm familiar with is Crocker and Algina, which might be out of print now. The former is more theoretically while the latter is more mathematics based. Good luck.