Validated Measures with Good Psychometrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tulsa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m in the planning stages of a study where I’ll be measuring adverse MH symptoms in caregivers. I was referred to the ProQol by a colleague, but it looks like 2 of the 3 subscales don’t have very good psychometrics. Wondering if anyone can suggest something that measures similar constructs to the 3 subscales of the ProQol (compassion satisfaction, burnout, and secondary traumatic stress) but has acceptable validity?

Members don't see this ad.

What are other published studies in your area of interest using?

Maybe the psychometrics aren’t good because those are not well defined or agreed upon constructs. Interestingly, you said you were looking at mental health symptoms in caregivers, but those constructs aren’t really what I think of as mental health symptom. Those constructs could interact with symptom, but I guess it really depends on what you are wanting to measure. Anxiety and depression are simpler constructs and to me and measures of these are pretty sensitive to psychological distress. When I get stressed, I might eat a little more or sometimes less, have difficulty sleeping, maybe low energy, irritable, etc. In other words, symptoms of depression or anxiety.