Psychopharmacology/Advanced Practice Psychology

Started by 50960
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ooof. This is just a tough question to answer. So much of the billing codes depends on the population, setting, insurance, and state you are practicing in. That is why you are getting such discrepant answers to coding.

I'll confess, in my area, and again, dependent on the insurance, I can bill something like a 90792 and 99202, just like a psychiatrist. I'll do the add on codes for psychotherapy too.

At this juncture, I would not advise doing it for increased income. If you are genuinely interested and want to explore the option, I recommend the classes, but just know the entire process extends well beyond just the class participation.

Do you know if you get reimbursed at the same rate as an NP, as a psychiatrist, or at a different rate altogether?
 
It's really starting to sound like you have a personal gripe with psychiatry and medicine as a whole.



I didn't know there were psychologists prescribing in the IHS. How many total were practicing medicine in the IHS before 2002? Genuinely asking.



All is forgiven for putting words in my mouth again. I didn't read your articles because I do believe your claim that suicide rates have increased since 1977, which is also largely irrelevant to this discussion about Rxp safety. And it seems that your argument is that it's psychiatry's fault that suicide rates are increasing, which is nonsensical.



Two decades of 200 or 300 prescribing psychologists. There are twice as many psychiatrists in the mid-sized city I live in.
1) Oh no, it's just you. You're approaching things in a dishonest way, and I find that irritating. Notice how everyone here is approaching you in the same way? Notice how most of the posters are not actually supportive of RxP? That group reaction should tell you something about your approach. I like psychiatrists, and was socializing with three psychiatrists this weekend. If you want to internet stalk me, you can also see that I regularly mention hanging out with ortho friends.
2) Yup. There were. And Kaiser ran a program where psychologists wrote the scripts, and a psychiatrists signed them. The numbers are unknown/not published. One of them wrote a book used by psychiatry residencies.
3) I didn't say that suicide rates increased, I said that suicide went from the #10 cause of death in the USA in 1977 to the #11 cause of death in the USA in the last reported CDC metric. That can be described as an increase in total numbers or a relative decrease, depending on how you report it. But either way, you're gonna say that this metric isn't the right one to use, demonstrate an unfamiliarity with how those stats are reported, but that you won't define the right metric, and that your own opinion is better than anything anyone can provide. Which really doesn't matter, because you have zero power to decide if psychologists get to prescribe or not.
4) Yeah, it's not a lot of people. I don't know why you're throwing in non sequiturs, but you are.
 
The real question is, how many patients have you killed? I hear that it's an inevitability with RxP.
LOL. I mean, apparently...all? 😆 /s

All joking aside, I have experienced exactly zero adverse outcomes or board complaints. I am relatively new in this endeavor though... I've also ended up doing more deprescribing than I thought I would. So many kids put on bad drug combos by PCP's, due to misdiagnosis, or just crazy decisions on what to initiate on. Sigh....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have we asked @MateoGM416 how many patients he/she may have killed so far? Just for a point of reference on how many is acceptable.

Well, if you went through a 4-year psychiatry residency, the patient deaths were due to something else entirely. You actually cannot kill a patient after psychiatry residency, because.....reasons.
 
Do you know if you get reimbursed at the same rate as an NP, as a psychiatrist, or at a different rate altogether?
You know, this is a great question... I actually have never looked into it. I should do some further research on the matter. I work at a hospital, so the end number doesn't matter as much to me as if I was in PP.

Again, I feel like my focus tends to be on getting more universal acceptance of prescribing authority. Once we have more of that, there is more leverage to start pursuing better reimbursement rates. It's a slow progression to be sure!
 
You know, this is a great question... I actually have never looked into it. I should do some further research on the matter. I work at a hospital, so the end number doesn't matter as much to me as if I was in PP.

Again, I feel like my focus tends to be on getting more universal acceptance of prescribing authority. Once we have more of that, there is more leverage to start pursuing better reimbursement rates. It's a slow progression to be sure!

If you happen to find out, I would love to know. For psychotherapy, we are generally reimbursed at the same rate as psychiatrists. NPs make 85% of psychiatry and I think RXP folks are the same, but I am genuinely curious how an E&M+psychotherapy is reimbursed. Just at the 85% rate or does the 90833 portion get the same reimbursement as a psychiatrist?
 
If the risk of harm is as great and inevitable as you say, 40 years of practice should provide more than ample evidence of the claim that you are making.

There's no study asserting the safety of psychiatry because there's nothing else to compare it to. The risk of harm is indeed great and inevitable, and happens quite often, the evidence that our profession practices medicine safely is several decades (more than two) of hundreds of thousands of psychiatrists. Or else hospitals and society would not put so much trust us with the care of patients, and more importantly, money (i.e. not getting sued).

Wow, I am becoming more inclined to believe you are not entering this with good faith and definitely have not read any of the literature or even the posts within this forum, for that matter.

I literally told you that the variability in supervised hours is due to the constraints baked into the legislation from physicians who oppose. they build these hurdles to deter. We want more uniformity to the practice! Physicians create these state differences, not us. I've been to the legislative meetings. Trust me.

No need to get defensive. I lurk on this forum occasionally because I respect my psychology colleagues greatly for their expertise. You'll have to forgive me for not knowing everything that has been said on here about Rxp, I am asking you these questions because I do not know and you seem to be the only one who has done the MSCP training.

Yes, I had to find my preceptors. As you have pointed out, RxP is not well supported by psychiatrists (likely due to "turf war" concerns) at present. I wish it was different. We all do! The biggest gripe I have is, if you think we are sooo unsafe, why not be the ones train us?!?! What are you so afraid of? For the record, the psychiatrists I trained under all said the same thing. "Wow, you all know a ton!"

Well, that's not great, but there are a lot of private medical schools without their own teaching hospitals in the US that also make students find their own preceptors for their fourth year electives, and so do a lot of NP schools. I see the issues you've raised MSCP programs would have in finding preceptors for their students. But you would think that they would figure those out before accepting students.

Me personally, I already work with medical students.

A couple of pieces regarding this. 1) We are already skilled enough to heal with psychotherapy or perform a number of other functions (legal, evaluative, academic, etc.) and some have no desire to go down the road of psychiatrists, who no longer emphasize psychotherapy. You said as much, which is weird, because psychiatrists love to bill for those psychotherapy codes...



So no, we don't have a lot of people go this direction, for a variety of reasons. 2) Those of us who decide to include prescribing, recognize, as the Muse 2025 study that you supposedly read



all of the benefits of deprescribing and engaging in collaborative care and adding on our psychotherapy skills to the whole picture. It's literally in the study you "read." same as the evidence in the study that demonstrates prescribing psychologists were also seeing patients with comorbid other health conditions.

I agree with nearly everything you say here. But practicing medicine is not an extension of psychology training. It is almost entirely something else. And evidence that psychologists are prescribing medications for patients with other health conditions is not 'evidence' that they know what they're doing or that they haven't made preventable errors, and I've been clear that this is my chief concern.

3) How does something become acceptable? Oh yeah, you have a body of evidence build over time. Do you know your history? Neurology and Psychiatry used to be the same subspeciality: (Nervenheilkunde in the German tradition). But then pioneers like Wilhelm Griesinger, Jean-Martin Charcot, and Sigmund Freud broke away. Not a ton of people. Evidence built over time....

That's fair. I'm not firm in my opinions. I doubt time will show Rxp being any worse than NP encroachment.

The DOD still has prescribing psychologists. As does IHS. Neither was scrapped. Still going strong. I have colleagues who still work for both...


It was my understanding that the DOD did a study of some ten prescribing psychologists in the 90's and found that it was cheaper to just train NP's. You seem to know much more about Rxp history than me, I could be wrong on this.

[This article was actually listed as evidence for Rxp safety in that Cato review.]


My general point was that the number of psychologists prescribing through both of these programs is a really, really small sample size.

You must be new here. We talk all the time about the harmful effects of bad psychotherapy. Done wrong, by a poorly trained individual who has poor guidelines like "The ACGME does not require a minimum number of hours," can lead to deterioration and harmful outcomes. It's just not studied extensively like drug trials. But don't take our word for it. How does a couple empirical articles strike you:


I'm not saying there aren't harmful effects of bad psychotherapy. I believe that it can wholeheartedly. But incorrectly prescribing medication is far more likely to hurt a patient than bad psychotherapy, just by the nature of what medication does, and you know that. It's why a psychiatrist's liability is way more than a therapist's.
 
Last edited:
I'm not saying there aren't harmful effects of bad psychotherapy. I believe that it can wholeheartedly. But incorrectly prescribing medication is far more likely to hurt a patient than bad psychotherapy, just by the nature of what medication does, and you know that. It's why a psychiatrist's liability is way more than a therapist's.

Is the risk of harm greater or simply easier to prove? It is certainly easier to pin serotonin syndrome as a cause of death on you than proving something I said in session led to someone's suicide. At the end of the day, however, dead is dead.
 
There's no study asserting the safety of psychiatry because there's nothing else to compare it to. The risk of harm is indeed great and inevitable, and happens quite often, the evidence that our profession practices medicine safely is several decades (more than two) of hundreds of thousands of psychiatrists. Or else hospitals and society would not put so much trust us with the care of patients, and more importantly, money (i.e. not getting sued).
LOL. If only there was public data. If you had that, then someone could say that between 1990-2025, MDs had 178,656 adverse action events, while NPs had 7,104 adverse action events. If you wanted to get more specific, you could compare psychologists' and physicians' adverse event actions in the RxP states starting on the date of RxP laws. Then you'd find that physicians had 3159 adverse action events, while psychologists had 101, and NPs had 288.

Or if you wanted to read the literature, you could see that 41% of psychiatrists have been sued for malpractice. The leading cause of malpractice suits was suicide (31%).

Alternatively, someone could just make ill informed statements using their own opinions, say that this data doesn't exist, and embarrass one's self. There is literally the same evidence that I courted someone’s mother and your assertions.
 
Last edited:
A lot of "rules for THEE and not ME", which I've come to expect when talking about RxP. It's funny, I used to be very pro-RxP and over the years I've adjusted my point of view as I gained experience in the field. I still support it, but while also acknowledging areas that could be improved. I see the same old anti-psychology arguments that weren't valid 15+ years ago are still being recycled. You'd think there would be lawsuits, changes to malpractice insurance law, and other responses if patients were actually being harmed.

I think this is where I've landed on this. Ironically, if medical schools participated in RxP training (instead of blocking it), they would likely be in a better position to study RxP and control ADEs. I agree that what safety data that does exist could be improved upon, but it's difficult to build a research program in the face of such staunch opposition. Maybe someone said this already, but this thread is getting very circular and difficult to follow.

It's also not true that there is no study that examines ADEs in psychiatry. One minute of casual googling finds studies examining predictors of ADEs in inpatient psychiatric units with medications prescribed by, yes, psychiatrists. There were also calls for studying outpatient ADEs but to my limited knowledge, this has not really been heeded.
 
Last edited:
I think this is where I've landed on this. Ironically, if medical schools participated in RxP training (instead of blocking it), they would likely be in a better position to study RxP and control ADEs. I agree that what safety data that does exist could be improved upon, but it's difficult to build a research program in the face of such staunch opposition. Maybe someone said this already, but this thread is getting very circular and difficult to follow.

I agree that it's probably difficult to come up with a well-designed and focused study when medical research institutions don't want to give Rxp the time of day. They're already losing a ton of grant money thanks to you know who- why waste time and money on something they don't believe in? I think for this reason these studies have to come from psychology and not psychiatry.

It's also not true that there is no study that examines ADEs in psychiatry. One minute of casual googling finds studies examining predictors of ADEs in inpatient psychiatric units with medications prescribed by, yes, psychiatrists. There were also calls for studying outpatient ADEs but to my limited knowledge, this has not really been heeded.

That's not what these people are asking for though. I've said previously on this page that preventable medical errors (not ADE's which can happen for any reason you can think of) happen a lot by physicians who undergo far more rigorous training in medicine.

What I'm saying is to prove why psychiatry is the standard is impossible because there's no other standard to compare it to. And it's generally understood that psychiatrists practice medicine safely.
 
What I'm saying is to prove why psychiatry is the standard is impossible because there's no other standard to compare it to. And it's generally understood that psychiatrists practice medicine safely.

To clarify, you are saying that it is impossible to prove psychiatry is safe, because there is no standard from which to compare it to, yet you are demanding such a thing from other prescribing providers. But, as there is no metric or standard that satisfies your safety bar, the only thing that will satisfy you is if everyone just go to med school and psychiatry residency? Good faith discussion, indeed.
 
That's not what these people are asking for though. I've said previously on this page that preventable medical errors (not ADE's which can happen for any reason you can think of) happen a lot by physicians who undergo far more rigorous training in medicine.
The studies I'm referencing also examine medical errors made by psychiatrists, which do happen because psychiatrists also suffer from the unfortunate condition of being human. Take a look for yourself.

What I'm saying is to prove why psychiatry is the standard is impossible because there's no other standard to compare it to. And it's generally understood that psychiatrists practice medicine safely.

This is magical thinking and circular reasoning. On the outcome variable of MEs, you could compare psychiatry to other medical specialties that treat psychiatric conditions. Suppose it were found that family medicine doctors or neurologists actually made fewer MEs than psychiatry then would they become the standard? Probably not according to you because psychiatry training is the standard.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The studies I'm referencing also examine medical errors made by psychiatrists, which do happen because psychiatrists also suffer from the unfortunate condition of being human. Take a look for yourself.



This is magical thinking and circular reasoning. On the outcome variable of MEs, you could compare psychiatry to other medical specialties that treat psychiatric conditions. Suppose it were found that family medicine doctors or neurologists actually made fewer MEs than psychiatry then would they become the standard? Probably not according to you because psychiatry training is the standard.

This is the issue with education in America. We could actually study the shortest and most cost effective route to becoming a prescriber of medication and implement that to help ease the shortage of providers and cost of healthcare in America. We won't because of egos and money, but at least a few people will feel good about themselves and get rich.
 
This is magical thinking and circular reasoning. On the outcome variable of MEs, you could compare psychiatry to other medical specialties that treat psychiatric conditions. Suppose it were found that family medicine doctors or neurologists actually made fewer MEs than psychiatry then would they become the standard? Probably not according to you because psychiatry training is the standard.

Not too mention the tautological problem of claiming something is the standard because it is the standard.
 
No need to get defensive. I lurk on this forum occasionally because I respect my psychology colleagues greatly for their expertise. You'll have to forgive me for not knowing everything that has been said on here about Rxp, I am asking you these questions because I do not know and you seem to be the only one who has done the MSCP training.
Not defensive. Just recognizing this is not a discussion in good faith anymore. You have stated your position. "This feels unsafe. The number of prescribing psychologist is too small to draw conclusions about safety. It hasn't been long enough. Therefore, I say it's unsafe." It's hard to have a discussion when we cite you evidence and you hand-wave it away.

I agree with nearly everything you say here. But practicing medicine is not an extension of psychology training. It is almost entirely something else. And evidence that psychologists are prescribing medications for patients with other health conditions is not 'evidence' that they know what they're doing or that they haven't made preventable errors, and I've been clear that this is my chief concern.
This is why we are exasperated! I got you tied up. I cited the Muse study in my response. It's actually the Hughes, Niznik study that shows the data I am talking about. A person who had read either study, would have mentioned that I cited the wrong study. You have not read this study or the Muse study. That's now evident. I did read both! Please. Go. Read. You will get your answers. I'll help. Section on Safety, albeit an estimate prediction based on prescribing patterns, but an interesting point the authors make, don't you think?

But you would think that they would figure those out before accepting students.
My school has contracts with teaching hospitals across the country. Again, the barrier is psychiatrists being willing. Not the MSCP programs. I reside in a state that has not yet established a contract, because, we are adding new states and have to adjust...

It was my understanding that the DOD did a study of some ten prescribing psychologists in the 90's and found that it was cheaper to just train NP's. You seem to know much more about Rxp history than me, I could be wrong on this.
Last APA cited estimate out there is approximately 30 prescribing psychologists in the DOD. That's more than the 10 from the initial pilot... Do dead programs typically triple in size? I also would strongly recommend you read the literature on the cost portion comparison to training NP's of the actual pilot study. Authors cite a number of reasons why it is still the most logical conclusion to continue to the program...which is why it still exists today.

Rest assured, it did not go unnoticed that you conveniently did not comment back to the statement I made about your suggested study regarding MSCP graduates sitting for your APBN boards. Why is that the only thing you did not respond to?
 
Last edited:
I agree that it's probably difficult to come up with a well-designed and focused study when medical research institutions don't want to give Rxp the time of day. They're already losing a ton of grant money thanks to you know who- why waste time and money on something they don't believe in? I think for this reason these studies have to come from psychology and not psychiatry.



That's not what these people are asking for though. I've said previously on this page that preventable medical errors (not ADE's which can happen for any reason you can think of) happen a lot by physicians who undergo far more rigorous training in medicine.

What I'm saying is to prove why psychiatry is the standard is impossible because there's no other standard to compare it to. And it's generally understood that psychiatrists practice medicine safely.
Your position is in diametrically opposition to the ICD codes for mortality. Can you reconcile your position with the ICD codes for inappropriate dosage, inappropriate medications, etc? Because your position is the exact opposite of the ICD, which you have claimed to know despite 5-10 posts showing you haven’t read even the titles of those codes.

It’s like listening to a book report from someone who hasn’t read the book and is making guesses. It’s “Scott’s Tots” level of embarrassing for you.
 
Do you know if you get reimbursed at the same rate as an NP, as a psychiatrist, or at a different rate altogether?
I did some digging, and the answer appears to be "it depends." So for some of the private insurances (Anthem, others, and yes, shockingly, UHC), they classify me the same as a psychiatrist, and I receive 100% the same reimbursement rate as a psychiatrist. Other insurances though, follow the CMS rules and classify me as a non-physician and reimburse me at the 85% rate. And again, some insurances will not allow me to solely bill the E/M codes, at all. This is why there exists the unique add-on bill codes in the CPT coding. From a quick glance, this again does differ amongst states, with some states showing closer to 100% reimbursement rates.

Just another reason why getting more states to pass legislation helps move the needle. My hope is that rising tides raise all ships. Better reimbursement rates on these codes may result in better reimbursement rates for our non-prescribing CPT codes... I hope 🤞
 
Another State, Hawai'i, has an interesting bill set to get enacted (currently sitting on governors desk, awaiting signature, it looks like).


While I appreciate the inherent frustration that it's a 3-year "pilot program" I have to wonder if this can serve as some additional data points for demonstrating safety and efficacy, for the naysayers out there. Either way, I know Hawai'i has been working for years to get something, so I am super happy for them!
 
Good to see something is finally happening in Hawai’i. They’ve been pursuing RxP for 30+ years. These varied state RxP regulations are frustrating and don’t help promote a unified system for psychologist prescribing although that’s how most of the bills get approved (if they do at all).

I recognized this early on when I was deciding between RxP and psych NP training and I’m very happy I chose the NP route. It’s worked out very well for my career; I’d still be waiting (almost 20 years and counting) in my state. But I still support RxP and have been active in promoting legislation even though my state has failed to make much progress.
 
Last edited:
Do you know if you get reimbursed at the same rate as an NP, as a psychiatrist, or at a different rate altogether?
I am licensed in CA and I’m researching reimbursement rates for prescribing Psychologist in Colorado. I am potentially thinking of getting licensed there. Here’s what I found so far from AI.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0330.png
    IMG_0330.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0331.png
    IMG_0331.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0332.png
    IMG_0332.png
    177 KB · Views: 35
I did some digging, and the answer appears to be "it depends." So for some of the private insurances (Anthem, others, and yes, shockingly, UHC), they classify me the same as a psychiatrist, and I receive 100% the same reimbursement rate as a psychiatrist. Other insurances though, follow the CMS rules and classify me as a non-physician and reimburse me at the 85% rate. And again, some insurances will not allow me to solely bill the E/M codes, at all. This is why there exists the unique add-on bill codes in the CPT coding. From a quick glance, this again does differ amongst states, with some states showing closer to 100% reimbursement rates.

Just another reason why getting more states to pass legislation helps move the needle. My hope is that rising tides raise all ships. Better reimbursement rates on these codes may result in better reimbursement rates for our non-prescribing CPT codes... I hope 🤞
What state are you in?
 
Hawaii has become the 9th RxP state (i.e., 18% of the USA allows RxP).
Eh, kinda, sorta....
"The Hawaii law, which goes into effect July 15, creates a limited, three-year pilot program at federally qualified health centers on the islands of Hawaii and Kauai to treat adults ages 18 to 65, under supervision by a psychiatrist or physician. Following the pilot program, the state health planning and development agency will make a recommendation to the Hawaii legislature to determine whether the program should be expanded, made permanent statewide or terminated."

It's notable that this isn't even for all neighbor islands, much less Oahu.
 
Eh, kinda, sorta....
"The Hawaii law, which goes into effect July 15, creates a limited, three-year pilot program at federally qualified health centers on the islands of Hawaii and Kauai to treat adults ages 18 to 65, under supervision by a psychiatrist or physician. Following the pilot program, the state health planning and development agency will make a recommendation to the Hawaii legislature to determine whether the program should be expanded, made permanent statewide or terminated."

It's notable that this isn't even for all neighbor islands, much less Oahu.
Nuance doesn't work when one side acts in bad faith.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure what you mean by that...?
You might want to see my discussion with MattGM above. He/she asked a question. I stated I would interact, although I believed he would argue in bad faith. He did, which is a repeating pattern for RxP discourse. They accuse, we provide nuanced evidence, they say the evidence isn’t enough without identifying the needed evidence, change the goalpost/arguements, etc. The argument style limits a nuanced discussion.
 
You might want to see my discussion with MattGM above. He/she asked a question. I stated I would interact, although I believed he would argue in bad faith. He did, which is a repeating pattern for RxP discourse. They accuse, we provide nuanced evidence, they say the evidence isn’t enough without identifying the needed evidence, change the goalpost/arguements, etc. The argument style limits a nuanced discussion.
I'm not sure what that has to do with my post, though--I was just pointing out that counting Hawaii as a state with RxP comes with a really sizable asterik when it's a three-year pilot exclusive to patients ages 18-65 at FQHCs in limited catchment area that makes up about 20% of the state's population. That's better than nothing, but it's not the same as a state with broad and permanent RxP.