PsyD - 2.3 undergrad GPA - what are the options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No offense, but someone with a 2.3 G.P.A is not really fit to be a doctoral-level provider.

Not gonna lie, this hurt, but just a little.

I have posted here in the past, mainly a few years back when I was applying to grad school. New account though...but I will share my story, if it helps.

I had a disastrous undergrad GPA, I think it was a 2.2. I began college in 1991 and didn't officially have my degree conferred until 1999. To imagine that I was a cautionary tale of wasted potential wouldn't have been too far of a stretch.

From 2003-2008 I worked as an RA at two prestigious "places." Don't ask me how I got the first RA job...I don't know, but it paved the way for the second. I completed my masters (funded) and then was accepted into a fully funded APA accredited PhD program in clinical psych.

To date I have over 30 presentations and 6 pubs. It was a very long road to where I am today. I had to reinvent myself academically, and it took close to a decade to do so.

If I can do it so can you! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not gonna lie, this hurt, but just a little.
!

Congratulations. I didn't intend for my comment to be absolute. I just think that for the most part someone with a 2.2 won't be able to handle the demands of a clinical psychology PhD program. I don't think GPA is everything either, but a 2.2 is quite tough to land. Average GPA nationally across all universities is above a 3.0.

Last edited:
Congratulations. I didn't intend for my comment to be absolute. I just think that for the most part someone with a 2.2 won't be able to handle the demands of a clinical psychology PhD program. I don't think GPA is everything either, but a 2.2 is quite tough to land. Average GPA nationally across all universities is above a 3.0.

Yes, my comment was mainly in jest, but thank you. It was quite ease to land a 2.2 (not something I'm proud of)...but those were also the days before grade inflation was "mainstream."

Members don't see this ad :)
As others have mentioned, the odds are stacked against you right now. Looking at the responses though, clearly a doctorate is not a frivolous pursuit. It just means you will have to work very hard and prove yourself to be considered. I recommend a master's degree, as much research experience as possible, good letters of recommendation, and excellent GRE scores. That might take some time, but if you are committed to this work and cannot imagine doing anything else, you can reach your goal with some persistence and sincere effort. Good luck.

Do you feel like your current career/position would not be possible as an LPC or LCSW?
Some of my colleagues have an LPC or LCSW but they are not permitted to do the work I do requires initial and follow up psychological evaluations. I work in corrections so there are certain inmate status(e.g., suicide watch) that cannot be downgraded unless one has a doctorate. My master's level colleagues are just as capable of making this judgment call but I suppose the institution wants to "C.Y.A" it. I don't have my license yet...almost there. I plan to go into private practice and do consulting work, maybe teach as an adjunct.

Hm. So, classes ran from 4:15 - 10pm ~ does that mean online? It sounds convenient but since my classes are during the day, this sounds different
Nope, in person. I would work until 3:30 then haul butt to school to get there by 4:15. Pretty much everyone that attended the school did the same thing. We would have class until 6:45 then break for dinner. Next class would begin at 7:30 and run to 10. Thinking about it now, it was pretty brutal and exhausting...working nearly a full time job and going to school two nights per week like that. Then again I didn't have children and was a lot younger. So naturally I had the stamina to do it. I don't think I could do it at this point in my life although there were "change of career" people in the program. One guy would travel 2.5 hours twice a week to be at class. He was in his late 50's at the time! Many self actualized people in the program. Needless to say, this was not a traditional program...very unique. It was designed for folks already working the field.

Some of my colleagues have an LPC or LCSW but they are not permitted to do the work I do requires initial and follow up psychological evaluations. I work in corrections so there are certain inmate status(e.g., suicide watch) that cannot be downgraded unless one has a doctorate. My master's level colleagues are just as capable of making this judgment call but I suppose the institution wants to "C.Y.A" it. I don't have my license yet...almost there. I plan to go into private practice and do consulting work, maybe teach as an adjunct.

I thought you graduated in 2007, but are still working on getting licensed? Is the pay structure higher for psychologists than LPC or LCSW in state prison facilities? Just curious. It sounds like you spent over 20 years from start until finish to become a licensed psychologist. This is why I recommend the MA path for many people who don't have the funds, have a family etc.

Your program sounds like pepperdine from what i've heard about it. The classes are twice weekly in the evening.

I thought you graduated in 2007, but are still working on getting licensed? Is the pay structure higher for psychologists than LPC or LCSW in state prison facilities? Just curious. It sounds like you spent over 20 years from start until finish to become a licensed psychologist. This is why I recommend the MA path for many people who don't have the funds, have a family etc.

Your program sounds like pepperdine from what i've heard about it. The classes are twice weekly in the evening.
Yes, I think my program was similar to Pepperdine. Yes, I've been a "perpetual student" for the majority of my life. I was never a strong test taker so passing the EPPP has been the monkey on my back. With regard to LPC and LCSW pay, it all depends on when you entered the system. There are actually some master's level people that are paid slightly higher than psychologists because they entered into the State system years earlier. Also, if you are licensed that is factored in when determining pay level. Once I am fully licensed, I will put in for a job title change which will then bump up my pay. Also, I am in NJ. If you know anything about our state, it takes a long time to get licensed due to all the hoops the Board makes you jump through.

. Yes, I've been a "perpetual student" for the majority of my life. I was never a strong test taker so passing the EPPP has been the monkey on my back. With regard to LPC and LCSW pay, it all depends on when you entered the system. There are actually some master's level people that are paid slightly higher than psychologists because they entered into the State system years earlier. Also, if you are licensed that is factored in when determining pay level. Once I am fully licensed, I will put in for a job title change which will then bump up my pay. Also, I am in NJ. If you know anything about our state, it takes a long time to get licensed due to all the hoops the Board makes you jump through.

Good luck. I have heard horror stories about NJ licensure. Even people who pass the EPPP on the first try took years to get licensed there! They have some crazy face to face and supervision requirements!

Good luck. I have heard horror stories about NJ licensure. Even people who pass the EPPP on the first try took years to get licensed there! They have some crazy face to face and supervision requirements!
Yup. 1750 pre-doc and another 1750 post-doc hours required! I've got that down pat. Just need to pass the EPPP (waiting for results as I type). If passed still have the State oral exam or to be newly instituted Jurisprudence exam in the Fall. Surprisingly, NJ does not, at this time, require C.E. credits! Now that I wouldn't mind but I suppose after all they put us through, they give us a reprieve :)