PsyD applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyD4me

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all !
Anyone out there applying to Psy.D programs to begin next Fall? If so where?

PsyD4me

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon.

Hello PsyD4me and Psychdoc (and everyone else, don't mean to exclude anyone!)

I am applying to Argosy University/Georgia School of Professional Psychology's PsyD program this fall '04.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of applying to GSPP next year. What do you think of the program ?

I'm not applying to Psy.D. programs, but am applying to Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology. I applied to Yale, Michigan, UCLA, Boston University, UConn, and SUNY-Albany.

Originally posted by PublicHealth
I'm not applying to Psy.D. programs, but am applying to Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology. I applied to Yale, Michigan, UCLA, Boston University, UConn, and SUNY-Albany.

Good for you PublicHealth......at first I thought no one is interested in the good-ol' PhD program anymore.......

Hi PH et al,
PH did you interview at NYCOM???
Are you applying to both PhD (Psychology) and MD/DO (Psychiatry) programs???
I got my PsyD last year and am doing pre-med now in preparation for med school; I'm particularly interested in NYCOM because it's so close to The City.
Any impressions?
Peace.

Originally posted by sasevan
Hi PH et al,
PH did you interview at NYCOM???
Are you applying to both PhD (Psychology) and MD/DO (Psychiatry) programs???
I got my PsyD last year and am doing pre-med now in preparation for med school; I'm particularly interested in NYCOM because it's so close to The City.
Any impressions?
Peace.

I'm interviewing at NYCOM tomorrow! All PhD applications have been submitted. Ah, decisions!

How are your pre-reqs coming along?

Best of luck tomorrow:) :) :)
If you get accepted to both psychology and psychiatry programs which way do you think you'll go?
P.S. My pre-reqs are going fine; only taking one course at a time right now since I'm still completing my post-doc fellowship and studying for licensure:scared: :scared: :scared:

Hi everyone. Sanman, my impressions of GSPP's program are favorable. What attracted me to their program was the concentrations, one of which is Child and Family therapy (which is my area of interest.) I am hoping to get an interview so I can visit, speak with the professors, and talk with current students. We will see....

I was reading some of the previous posts, particularly from CiCi and Public Health. I am applying to both PhD and PsyD programs and am unsure which I will pursue (hence my sign-in name "PsyD/PhD." If I get into both programs, I will have a decision to make. I am interested to hear how others have made the decision to pursue PhD or PsyD programs. Anyone care to share?

I am interested to hear how others have made the decision to pursue PhD or PsyD programs. Anyone care to share?

I LOVE research. PsyD programs tend to be less research and more clinically oriented. Thus, I applied only to PhD programs. Ultimately, I'd like to function primarily as a clinical researcher and secondarily as a clinician.

Hey! Where are you in Maryland? Im applying to Loyola and GW.

Thanks, PublicHealth for responding. Sounds like a PhD is most compatible with your career objectives. Good luck with your application process and responses!

Hi PsyD4me. I looked into both Loyola and GW. I was interested in applying, but I think I may be relocating out of state. Loyola's focus seems to be psych testing, whereas GW's program seems to be from a psychoanalytic perspective. Have you considered any of the American Schools of Professional Psychology (now called Argosy U)? There is a campus in the Washington DC area. PsyD4me, what lead to your decision to pursue a PsyD?

Originally posted by mftPsyD/PhD
Hi everyone. Sanman, my impressions of GSPP's program are favorable. What attracted me to their program was the concentrations, one of which is Child and Family therapy (which is my area of interest.) I am hoping to get an interview so I can visit, speak with the professors, and talk with current students. We will see....

I was reading some of the previous posts, particularly from CiCi and Public Health. I am applying to both PhD and PsyD programs and am unsure which I will pursue (hence my sign-in name "PsyD/PhD." If I get into both programs, I will have a decision to make. I am interested to hear how others have made the decision to pursue PhD or PsyD programs. Anyone care to share?

I live in Canada and we only have PhD programs here. Also, I am a person that craves rigorous scientific and research training, so I feel that a PhD will be better for me. I also feel that a PhD will open more doors career-wise.

Originally posted by cici
I live in Canada and we only have PhD programs here. Also, I am a person that craves rigorous scientific and research training, so I feel that a PhD will be better for me. I also feel that a PhD will open more doors career-wise.

Hi CiCi. When you say that you feel a PhD will open more doors career-wise, are there any particular areas that you mean? Or do you feel that a PhD will prepare you for the things you want to do?

I am throwing this question out to everyone. I am really interested to hear what led to people's decision to pursue the PhD or the PsyD. Maybe we can get an interesting dialogue going...

So have any of the people who applied to PhD programs heard back yet? I'd love to hear from anyone going through or who has gone through the interview process? Good Luck to all!

Originally posted by mftPsyD/PhD
Hi CiCi. When you say that you feel a PhD will open more doors career-wise, are there any particular areas that you mean? Or do you feel that a PhD will prepare you for the things you want to do?

I am throwing this question out to everyone. I am really interested to hear what led to people's decision to pursue the PhD or the PsyD. Maybe we can get an interesting dialogue going...

I just feel that a PhD can provide me with both research and clinical training, which will prepare me well for any job: research, academia, clinical practice......Research skills and experience are particularly important in my opinion. I plan to work in a hospital which usually requires me to both do research and practise. I also feel that having research and scientific training helps me become a better clinician, as I will have the skills to critically examine my work, to understand and critique current research on psychotherapy, and to provide services that have empirical support.

Originally posted by tayhill
So have any of the people who applied to PhD programs heard back yet? I'd love to hear from anyone going through or who has gone through the interview process? Good Luck to all!

Most PhD programs affiliated with universities will not review applications until late January. Interview offers are typically sent out around February, interviews are held in March, and admission offers are sent out shortly thereafter.

Which programs did you apply to? I'm waiting on Harvard (experimental psychopathology program), and clinical PhD programs at UConn, Michigan, Yale, Boston University, Florida, and SUNY-Albany.

Good luck!

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know of any other programs ( besides loyola) that emphasize psych testing?