PsyD for Neuropsych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slpphd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have a doctorate in speech path (my dissertation was in psycho-linguistics, and my advisor was a psychologist). I realize now that I did not make the right decision (do not want to be in academia), and I have always been very drawn to neuropsych. Had several courses in it, worked with that population, etc.

I'm now eriously thinking about applying to the Mass School for Prof Psych (PsyD degree). I live in Mass, have a baby and a mortgage, my dissertation was extremely rigorous (hence will never consider doing another one), hence the PsyD consideration in Mass, where we live.

The mass school of professional psychology does not have a neuropsych concentration. How do I become a neuropsychologist after completing a clinical psych with no concentration? Getting a prestigious internship is not important to me. Working in an academic hospital is not important to me either. Been there done that. So could I get the clinical psych and do an internship in a neuropsych private practice? WIll I need further coursework?

Thanks for your answers! I don't want to make another mistake...

-- SLPPHD

Members don't see this ad.

Good questions!

Does MSPP really not require a dissertation? Most PsyDs do (though they vary in how extensive they have to be), that's why I'm asking. I thought MSPP was one of them, but I could be wrong.

There are definitely some required courses that you may or may not have access to at MSPP - some schools have it available but just don't bother putting together a formal concentration. I don't know them offhand, but we have some neuro folks here who should be able to answer. I'm just a neuropsych at heart (love assessment and neurobio) Its REALLY unlikely you can do an internship in a private practice...I don't think I've seen any accredited ones? I could be wrong there. Chances are you're looking at a hospital or university, though the hospital need not be an academic one. There are plenty of VA, county, and community hospitals with internship sites. You also need a neuropsych post-doc. THEN you're finally good to go:) (7 ish years later).

Hi folks,
I have a doctorate in speech path (my dissertation was in psycho-linguistics, and my advisor was a psychologist). I realize now that I did not make the right decision (do not want to be in academia), and I have always been very drawn to neuropsych. Had several courses in it, worked with that population, etc.

-- SLPPHD

I've worked with doctoral level speech folks in a number of clinical settings.
Are you sure there isn't a clinical niche you could develop within speech? I don't know if your doctoral training had a clinical component, but there is decent overlap with clinical neuropsych and clinical speech path in a lot of areas. Good speech path clinicians are invaluable members of treatment teams. I also know of several masters level speech clinicians in private practice and they seem to do well financially.

I wonder about a respecialization program. It would save you some money and a few years. Most are set up for individuals who have a non-clinical PhD in psychology (e.g. experimental, developmental, social), but you might be able to make an argument that your training is commensurate. The Suffolk program looks pretty good and has excellent neuropsych opportunities. I'd be surprised if you couldn't fit into their respecialization program with a neuropsych focus (Edith Kaplan started the neuropsych program at Suffolk). You can e-mail them directly and talk with the faculty members.

http://www.suffolk.edu/college/20950.html
http://www.suffolk.edu/college/7198.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical neuropsychologist are those who have typically done an emphasis in neuropsych while in grad school. However, to become a neuropsych, you would need to fist get a clinical psych doc and then apply for post docs in clinical neuropsychology. This extra work, (2-4 years) will qualify you to become a clinical neuropsychologsit. Good luck.

MSPP has a respecialization program- that is the only route to PsyD they offer without an additional diss (PysD program does require one). I'm graduating from MSPP and entering into a neuropsych post-doc at a major teaching hospital in the Boston area- feel free to PM me for more info. :luck: