PsyD Program Reviews (Loyola, GW, and Chicago School (DC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackpsych1210

Reaction score
Hi! I am a senior looking to apply to clinical psychology PsyD programs! Specifically, Chicago School of Professional Psych (DC), George Washington U (DC) and Loyola U (MD).
Can any current PsyD students or anyone with more info on these programs please provide me with some more insight? I’ve done my own research but i’m looking to hear from real people. Also please feel free to add any more advice if you have any more advice to offer regarding the PsyD application process in general!!
(Please save any comments about PhDs, I’ve done plenty research on both options my mind is made up :))

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Please save any comments about PhDs, I’ve done plenty research on both options my mind is made up :))
That is a shame. The DC area has some fantastic programs that prepare students well for clinical careers and won't set you back $200,000.

Reactions: 5 users
(Please save any comments about PhDs
1599337569190.png

Reactions: 7 users
The Chicago School should be a hard NO.

Reactions: 4 users
Hard no on Chicago School. GW is known for leaning heavily towards psychodynamic work, which I'd see as an issue bc CBT is the most common training and I'm not sure how much they teach to it. Maybe things have changed over the years, but that is the reputation. Also, cost at both are prohibitively expensive.

Reactions: 3 users
All three programs are very expensive, Chicago School being the most cost prohibitive. It's $46K a year on just tuition over 4 years. GW and Loyola are fairly close in cost since GW is a 3 years + 1 year internship program, while Loyola is the traditional 4 years + 1 year internship.

Loyola has really good match rates, very high licensure rates, and small cohorts. They have a nice training clinic. I've worked with a few of their graduates and they seem like solid clinicians.

GW match rates are getting better and fairly good already, high licensure rate, and their cohort is small as well. Has a good training clinic as well. Leans heavily psychodynamically. There is a class and prac. on CBT, but most of your coursework will be dynamic focused. Clinical work starts summer of 1st year. You go to school year round. One less year means one less externship/practicum, and for some people their numbers are slightly lower when applying for internship. You get the GW name with your degree - really only matters to lay folks.

Chicago School, newer program, larger cohorts usually, and they took on students from Argosy for the teach out. Feels like a for profit institution, and the most expensive. Their lisensure rates are abysmal (~65%). You'll graduate with over $200K in debt. Some internship programs won't even consider your application.

Happy to answer any questions you might have, send me a DM for specifics. Interviewed and was accepted into some of these programs.

Reactions: 1 users
If you ignore costs (most people her think you should definitely NOT do that), Chicago School is def the worst option. The Chicago School is one of the more notorious programs. Stick with PsyDs from actual universities.

But, again, unless you are independently wealthy most people recommend avoiding the burdening debt of these programs.

Reactions: 2 users
If I were to rank those three programs from best to worst:

1. Loyola
2. GW
3. Chicago school

If I were to rank cost from least to most, I am guessing that the ranking would stay the same, hmm......

Members don't see this ad :)
All three programs are very expensive, Chicago School being the most cost prohibitive. It's $46K a year on just tuition over 4 years. GW and Loyola are fairly close in cost since GW is a 3 years + 1 year internship program, while Loyola is the traditional 4 years + 1 year internship.

Loyola has really good match rates, very high licensure rates, and small cohorts. They have a nice training clinic. I've worked with a few of their graduates and they seem like solid clinicians.

GW match rates are getting better and fairly good already, high licensure rate, and their cohort is small as well. Has a good training clinic as well. Leans heavily psychodynamically. There is a class and prac. on CBT, but most of your coursework will be dynamic focused. Clinical work starts summer of 1st year. You go to school year round. One less year means one less externship/practicum, and for some people their numbers are slightly lower when applying for internship. You get the GW name with your degree - really only matters to lay folks.

Chicago School, newer program, larger cohorts usually, and they took on students from Argosy for the teach out. Feels like a for profit institution, and the most expensive. Their lisensure rates are abysmal (~65%). You'll graduate with over $200K in debt. Some internship programs won't even consider your application.

Happy to answer any questions you might have, send me a DM for specifics. Interviewed and was accepted into some of these programs.
Hello!
Can I connect with you as I intend to apply for PsyD in clinical psy for Fall 2021? Thanks from India, Asia

I knew someone from GW who was very well-trained in psychodynamic theory (but nothing else), and barely had enough direct/intervention hours by the time internship rolled around to apply anywhere--could be a real problem and take an extra year of school because they apply to internship in only year 3 at GW.

For comparison, I applied to internship in year 4, and only because I came in to my doc program with a master's degree (those coming in with bachelor's degrees applied in year 5). This person from GW did not come in with a master's and had something like 250-350 direct hours, which is EXTREMELY low when applying for internship and will automatically make a person ineligible for the majority of sites. So higher risk of not matching and then being required to take an extra year. Something to consider.

• Wow
This person from GW did not come in with a master's and had something like 250-350 direct hours, which is EXTREMELY low when applying for internship and will automatically make a person ineligible for the majority of sites.
And they let this person apply?!

Reactions: 1 user
I routinely hire pre and post-doc interns for our large mental health program. The Chicago School has always been and probably always will be a hard NO for many reasons.

Reactions: 2 users
Loyola definitely has the best reputation out of all of those schools. That being said, it's probably the most competitive to get into. I echo what everyone says about GWU and Chicago School. Chicago school is also pretty recently accredited in DC.

Was the Chicago School ever good? or just a giant business.
A business first. At least one location has had a lawsuit due to falsely claiming accreditation status. One of the many problems with making education for-profit. I think it technically classifies itself as non-profit, but it reeks of for-profit.

A business first. At least one location has had a lawsuit due to falsely claiming accreditation status. One of the many problems with making education for-profit. I think it technically classifies itself as non-profit, but it reeks of for-profit.

Depends on how you classify yourself. Just because an organization is a non-profit, doesn't mean that its executive officers aren't making obscene amounts of money.

It’s really trying to fill Argosy’s niche, ugh.

I think the Chicago School recruited a great many of the Argosy students when Argosy closed. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I knew someone from GW who was very well-trained in psychodynamic theory (but nothing else), and barely had enough direct/intervention hours by the time internship rolled around to apply anywhere--could be a real problem and take an extra year of school because they apply to internship in only year 3 at GW.

For comparison, I applied to internship in year 4, and only because I came in to my doc program with a master's degree (those coming in with bachelor's degrees applied in year 5). This person from GW did not come in with a master's and had something like 250-350 direct hours, which is EXTREMELY low when applying for internship and will automatically make a person ineligible for the majority of sites. So higher risk of not matching and then being required to take an extra year. Something to consider.
May I ask where you went to school and if you have suggestions for PsyD programs given your experience?

May I ask where you went to school and if you have suggestions for PsyD programs given your experience?
I went to a PhD program, so I don’t know much about PsyD programs. Feel free to reach out to me privately for specifics!

Do you have evidence for internships not even considering the applications of Chicago School students?

Do you have evidence for internships not even considering the applications of Chicago School students?
This is an unreasonable, hostile request. Nobody is going to admit to doing such a thing. This sort of information propagates via the grapevine as I believe you either know or certainly should know.

This is an unreasonable, hostile request. Nobody is going to admit to doing such a thing. This sort of information propagates via the grapevine as I believe you either know or certainly should know.
What makes this request hostile? If it is true that people do this, then what makes it hostile about them literally not even considering applicants from the school?

I am asking for the purpose of gathering evidence that proves this to be the case. Not trying to combative...

Look at the match rate. Look at the programs that do not accept any PsyDs and only PhDs. Look at places that have never accepted Chicago School applicants. Beyond that, there will not be concrete evidence anymore than there is concrete evidence that Harvard is biased against minorities and biased for a legacies and those of a certain SES by using personality scores. No one is going to put it on paper, it is just understood. That is not to say every internship will do this. However, when there are lots of applications and few spots folks will look for easy ways to weed out apps. It is unpaid work after all.

Reactions: 5 users
What makes this request hostile? If it is true that people do this, then what makes it hostile about them literally not even considering applicants from the school?
The fact that you literally don't know what makes it hostile or are feigning ignorance is pathetic. As Sanman just told you, no one is going to put it on paper - it is just understood. I think you knew this to begin with. If you did not - a certain degree of cultural knowledge and sophistication is needed to be a Psychologist, and perhaps a different career would be better for you. If you DID know and simply decided a rhetorical trick would be a good idea, try to remember going forward who the people are here that you are talking to and asking for help from.

Last edited:
The fact that you literally don't know what makes it hostile or are feigning ignorance is pathetic. As Sanman just told you, no one is going to put it on paper - it is just understood. I think you knew this to begin with. If you did not - a certain degree of cultural knowledge and sophistication is needed to be a Psychologist, and perhaps a different career would be better for you. If you DID know and simply decided a rhetorical trick would be a good idea, try to remember going forward who the people are here that you are talking to and asking for help from.

You seem like a very kind and understanding person, I appreciate that you confirmed it in writing though in a previous post and this one in stating that “it is just understood.” I hope you have a great day!

You seem like a very kind and understanding person, I appreciate that you confirmed it in writing though in a previous post and this one in stating that “it is just understood.” I hope you have a great day!
Sarcasm is unbecoming in this forum.

Hey,
I recently completed my master's degree at UCL (University College London) and I'm considering pursuing a PsyD (Doctor of Psychology) program in the US. While I'm passionate about psychology and eager to further my education, I'm also keenly aware of the importance of considering job opportunities post-graduation.
I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice from those who have pursued similar paths or have knowledge about the job market for PsyD graduates in the US. What are the employment prospects like for PsyD holders, particularly compared to other psychology-related degrees? Are there specific regions or industries where PsyD graduates are in higher demand? Additionally, any tips on how to leverage my international education background when seeking employment in the US would be invaluable.