Sep 5, 2020
Status
Pre-Psychology
Hi! I am a senior looking to apply to clinical psychology PsyD programs! Specifically, Chicago School of Professional Psych (DC), George Washington U (DC) and Loyola U (MD).
Can any current PsyD students or anyone with more info on these programs please provide me with some more insight? I’ve done my own research but i’m looking to hear from real people. Also please feel free to add any more advice if you have any more advice to offer regarding the PsyD application process in general!!
(Please save any comments about PhDs, I’ve done plenty research on both options my mind is made up :))

Thanks

About the Ads

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
Hard no on Chicago School. GW is known for leaning heavily towards psychodynamic work, which I'd see as an issue bc CBT is the most common training and I'm not sure how much they teach to it. Maybe things have changed over the years, but that is the reputation. Also, cost at both are prohibitively expensive.

Oct 24, 2018
All three programs are very expensive, Chicago School being the most cost prohibitive. It's $46K a year on just tuition over 4 years. GW and Loyola are fairly close in cost since GW is a 3 years + 1 year internship program, while Loyola is the traditional 4 years + 1 year internship.

Loyola has really good match rates, very high licensure rates, and small cohorts. They have a nice training clinic. I've worked with a few of their graduates and they seem like solid clinicians.

GW match rates are getting better and fairly good already, high licensure rate, and their cohort is small as well. Has a good training clinic as well. Leans heavily psychodynamically. There is a class and prac. on CBT, but most of your coursework will be dynamic focused. Clinical work starts summer of 1st year. You go to school year round. One less year means one less externship/practicum, and for some people their numbers are slightly lower when applying for internship. You get the GW name with your degree - really only matters to lay folks.

Chicago School, newer program, larger cohorts usually, and they took on students from Argosy for the teach out. Feels like a for profit institution, and the most expensive. Their lisensure rates are abysmal (~65%). You'll graduate with over $200K in debt. Some internship programs won't even consider your application.

Happy to answer any questions you might have, send me a DM for specifics. Interviewed and was accepted into some of these programs.

Reactions: LadyHalcyon

DynamicDidactic

Ass of Prof
10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2010
Status
Psychologist
If you ignore costs (most people her think you should definitely NOT do that), Chicago School is def the worst option. The Chicago School is one of the more notorious programs. Stick with PsyDs from actual universities.

But, again, unless you are independently wealthy most people recommend avoiding the burdening debt of these programs.

Reactions: thebalmofhurtminds

Sanman

O.G.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2000
Dreaming of Margaritaville
www.-----.com
Status
Psychologist
If I were to rank those three programs from best to worst:

1. Loyola
2. GW
3. Chicago school

If I were to rank cost from least to most, I am guessing that the ranking would stay the same, hmm......

Oct 2, 2020
Status
Psychologist
All three programs are very expensive, Chicago School being the most cost prohibitive. It's $46K a year on just tuition over 4 years. GW and Loyola are fairly close in cost since GW is a 3 years + 1 year internship program, while Loyola is the traditional 4 years + 1 year internship.

Loyola has really good match rates, very high licensure rates, and small cohorts. They have a nice training clinic. I've worked with a few of their graduates and they seem like solid clinicians.

GW match rates are getting better and fairly good already, high licensure rate, and their cohort is small as well. Has a good training clinic as well. Leans heavily psychodynamically. There is a class and prac. on CBT, but most of your coursework will be dynamic focused. Clinical work starts summer of 1st year. You go to school year round. One less year means one less externship/practicum, and for some people their numbers are slightly lower when applying for internship. You get the GW name with your degree - really only matters to lay folks.

Chicago School, newer program, larger cohorts usually, and they took on students from Argosy for the teach out. Feels like a for profit institution, and the most expensive. Their lisensure rates are abysmal (~65%). You'll graduate with over $200K in debt. Some internship programs won't even consider your application.

Happy to answer any questions you might have, send me a DM for specifics. Interviewed and was accepted into some of these programs.
Hello!
Can I connect with you as I intend to apply for PsyD in clinical psy for Fall 2021? Thanks from India, Asia

foreverbull

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
I knew someone from GW who was very well-trained in psychodynamic theory (but nothing else), and barely had enough direct/intervention hours by the time internship rolled around to apply anywhere--could be a real problem and take an extra year of school because they apply to internship in only year 3 at GW.

For comparison, I applied to internship in year 4, and only because I came in to my doc program with a master's degree (those coming in with bachelor's degrees applied in year 5). This person from GW did not come in with a master's and had something like 250-350 direct hours, which is EXTREMELY low when applying for internship and will automatically make a person ineligible for the majority of sites. So higher risk of not matching and then being required to take an extra year. Something to consider.

Temperance

5+ Year Member
May 27, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
This person from GW did not come in with a master's and had something like 250-350 direct hours, which is EXTREMELY low when applying for internship and will automatically make a person ineligible for the majority of sites.
And they let this person apply?!

Reactions: thebalmofhurtminds
About the Ads