PsyD Programs in Counseling Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jon4PsyD

Go Red Sox
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seem to only be three:
University of Northern Colorado
University of St. Thomas (MN)
Our Lady of the Lake University (TX)

Any information anyone? Such as quality of program/admission data? I don't know much about the other two, but Northern Colorado's looks VERY impressive by their website. Also what would be the difference between this and a PsyD in Clinical (Just testing/assesment, or more?)

Thanks,
Jon

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I know it was FOREVER ago but...still no opinions or info on these three?

Thanks
Jon

I don't know much about the subject, but I'm guessing the difference between a Psy.D. in counseling and a Psy.D. in clinical would be the same as their Ph.D. counterparts.........the theoretical training of environment/family/etc vs. a more pathological explanation. That's a poor explaination by me, but just look at the threads about counseling vs. clinical, and you'll have a better idea.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
There seem to only be three:
University of Northern Colorado
University of St. Thomas (MN)
Our Lady of the Lake University (TX)

Any information anyone? Such as quality of program/admission data? I don't know much about the other two, but Northern Colorado's looks VERY impressive by their website. Also what would be the difference between this and a PsyD in Clinical (Just testing/assesment, or more?)

Thanks,
Jon

I used to live in San Antonio and I interviewed at OLLU.

Actually OLLU, despite it's low admission scores, struck me as a very high quality program. I was rather impressed. There was the possibility of some financial aid and the professors had interesting backgrounds. If you want a program where you can get a bi-lingual experience, this is a great program. Much of the practicum centers around a Low-SES hispanic population (possibly the poorest in the country.)

OLLU's campus is small but beautiful. San Antonio is a great town but you don't want to live too close to campus (5 miles north there are some much better neighborhoods.) I actually did not get into the program because of my lack of clinical experience. 1300 GRE and 4.0 GPA, but did get an interview, I also believe that I would have had a better chance if I had attended interview day like the other students and expressed a greater interest in the program. OLLU is located in the lowest SES part of San Antonio (West Side), where the median family income is well below the poverty line.

It is not a cheap program (about $25k per year) but offers a rich environment in which to learn. I would recommend looking into it.

Mark

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for responding guys!!
I've decided to wait until Fall of '09 now but am happy I did because I've changed my focus and will only be applying to Counseling Psychology programs. I'm definitely going to take a strong look at these three schools.

Does anyone know of any more Clinically-focused Counseling Psychology Ph.D. programs. Northeastern is the one that comes to mind (which is nice since I'm in Boston doing the Master's). Any others?

Jon:)

I'd be interested in finding out about clinically focused counseling psychology PhD programs as well...

University of Oregon and University of California, Santa Barbara both seem to produce students with strong clinical practice orientations (eg: not focussed just on college/university/vocational but more on developmental/life-span/aetiology of health and pathology.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for responding guys!!
I've decided to wait until Fall of '09 now but am happy I did because I've changed my focus and will only be applying to Counseling Psychology programs. I'm definitely going to take a strong look at these three schools.

Does anyone know of any more Clinically-focused Counseling Psychology Ph.D. programs. Northeastern is the one that comes to mind (which is nice since I'm in Boston doing the Master's). Any others?

Jon:)

I've been looking at counseling psych programs by utilizing the insiders guide, and the graduate study in psych books. A majority of the counseling psych programs float around 3,4,or 5 on the clinical-research continuum, with a handful of schools grouped around 1 or 2(e.g. University of St Thomas) and 6 or 7(e.g. University of Wisconsin).

Depending on the program the program, the schools classified as equal emphasis may be more clinical or more research. However, from what I've read thus far, many of the equal emphasis programs really strive for equal emphasis. If you would like to throw around some names feel free to pm me.

There's also a new PsyD in Counseling Psychology at Carlow University in Pittsburg PA. http://gradstudies.carlow.edu/ I think it's brand new. So, it doesn't yet have APA accredidation.

They need to have their first class "cohort" as they call it, graduate first, before they can apply for accredidation, or something like that. Now what the students in the meantime do, or how they are affected by being in a not-yet accredited program, I don't know.

Well, if you're looking for counseling psych PhD programs there is State University of New York at Albany. That's where I got my master's. They do a lot of research but 2nd and 3rd year doc students also work in the mental health clinic...

State University of New York at Buffalo has counseling psych too.

In both cases, as is usual at most schools, the counseling psych is in the School of Education, not with the psychology department where clinical psych is housed...

Actually I think most Counseling Psychology Doctoral Programs are housed in Schools of Education as opposed to Psychology Departments. Carlow sounds interesting, I didn't realize they were planning on applying for APA, that changes things I guess. I'm only looking at applying to 1-4's (and two 5's). Thanks for the advice though I'm glad this thread did get some interest afterall. :)

I am getting the message from psychologists (one is the head of a VA psychology dept and one has a PhD in Clinical Psychology and does research and teaching) that the PsyD in Counseling isn't a worthwhile degree. I am considering one that is APA accredited and would aim to be in an apa-accredited internship too (which seems possible). I currently have a master's level degree and am a practicing clinician who is mostly interested in gaining assessment skills, maybe teaching, and little interest in quantitative research but am open to developing in that area.

Does anyone with a Counseling PsyD or that has someone with such a degree around them have a sense of if a PsyD in Counseling is limited in their options? It is my understanding that VAs prefer clinical psychologists buy counseling PhDs are fine also. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.