PsyD programs that honor Master's Degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittykitkatkat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm on the search for PsyD programs that will honor my master's degree I am currently working towards. If I am accepted to my current school, I can enter the doctoral program in the second year.

This is especially appealing to me because I am not looking to go to a different school just to have to take their masters degree requirements on the road to obtaining my doctorates degree.

Maybe this is a foolish pipe dream, but the logic for my request is sound (or so I think).
I live in the Pacific Northwest, so it would be best to keep it in the neighborhood.
Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

There is no set answer for this question. Almost any school that accepts masters credits will do so on a case-by-case basis. Depends on where the class is from and what it entailed, it needs to meet their equivalences. I imagine diploma mills will have much looser standards, but with reputable programs, you won't really know until you are accepted and the training committee looks at your past classes and syllabi.

Hi everyone,

So I'm on the search for PsyD programs that will honor my master's degree I am currently working towards. If I am accepted to my current school, I can enter the doctoral program in the second year.

This is especially appealing to me because I am not looking to go to a different school just to have to take their masters degree requirements on the road to obtaining my doctorates degree.

Maybe this is a foolish pipe dream, but the logic for my request is sound (or so I think).
I live in the Pacific Northwest, so it would be best to keep it in the neighborhood.
Thanks all
It's understandable that you would not want to repeat any work you have already completed, but choosing a clinical program should really be about getting the best training possible, not getting done as soon as possible. Limiting yourself in this manner could be detrimental in many ways, from inferior externship opportunities to lower internship match rates to reduced opportunities for networking. You also don't want to restrict yourself to just PsyD programs or just programs in a particular geographic region like the Pacific Northwest.

As WisNeuro pointed out, lots of reputable programs will accept some credits from previous master's degrees, but there is no set standard or rubric. It will depend on the specific courses and requirements of both your master's program and the doctoral program you would be entering. Again, as WisNeuro insinuated, the less rigorous programs are going to accept more of your credits and are more likely to do so with less scrutiny of your coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the posters above... It's on a case-by-case basis. Also... in my program (and from what I understand this is fairly typical), if they accepted any transfer credits, that did not necessarily mean that a student was any closer to graduation... just that a certain pre-requisite was waived. I believe students usually substituted an elective course in its place.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with the posters above... It's on a case-by-case basis. Also... in my program (and from what I understand this is fairly typical), if they accepted any transfer credits, that did not necessarily mean that a student was any closer to graduation... just that a certain pre-requisite was waived. I believe students usually substituted an elective course in its place.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Was going to say the same thing, as my program was similar. Theses were accepted on a case-by-case basis, as were some course credits. But this generally didn't save folks any time. It waived pre-reqs for more advanced courses, but students were still required to take the same number of credit hours (which may, to an extent, be an APA mandate RE: in-residence credit hours). They also didn't need to then complete another thesis, and could instead focus on other research projects.

Was going to say the same thing, as my program was similar. Theses were accepted on a case-by-case basis, as were some course credits. But this generally didn't save folks any time. It waived pre-reqs for more advanced courses, but students were still required to take the same number of credit hours (which may, to an extent, be an APA mandate RE: in-residence credit hours). They also didn't need to then complete another thesis, and could instead focus on other research projects.
Same here, and I have never heard of any program that operated any differently. I don't know that there was a requirement that they traded class for class (e.g., get credit for 3 classes, REQUIRED to take 3 other classes) but that was what everyone did. I think the biggest benefit is not having to do a 2nd thesis- that frees up a ton of time to focus on other things. Maybe to take an extra class for each of a couple of semesters, if you're really motivated to get classes out of the way, though most people would, I think, use that time to focus on other research.

I actually transferred, after finishing masters, moved with my professor. Mine actually saved me time once I got to the new program, although I was in a Doctoral program to begin with, and not a Terminal masters. So, after my transition over, it still only took me 3 years at my new program to finish. But, there were also students who came in who had to redo some classes, it really boils down to the committee approvals. At our program they looked carefully at syllabi and what was involved in the classwork/didactics in making the decision.