PsyD versus MSW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aa442289

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to decide what I want to do with my future and definitely need some advice!

I am 25-years-old. I graduated with my Masters in Psychology 2 years ago and realized only after receiving it that in order to work in therapy, I really needed a Masters in Counseling or Social Work. Therefore, I am trying to make the decision whether to go back to school for my MSW or for my PsyD. I am interested in working with substance abuse one day, and would specifically like to go into private practice at some point down the road. I realize that I could do this with an MSW; however, I am under the impression that my career options will be greater with my PsyD, as well as my salary potential (Indeed.com states average salary for LCSW is $57,000; PsyD is $76,000). In addition, there seem to be a lot of hoops to jump through in order to get licensed (LCSW) after receiving the MSW (unless this is just my impression?)

Any opinions are greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Therefore, I am trying to make the decision whether to go back to school for my MSW or for my PsyD. I am interested in working with substance abuse one day, and would specifically like to go into private practice at some point down the road.

This thread starts off a bit slow but ends up in a thorough discussion of some of the different factors you should take into consideration when debating between these program types. Although, I'm not sure it will specifically touch on the best choice for a substance abuse specialty. Hopefully someone else can help you out with that.

Could you clarify what you mean by "work in therapy." Also, why can't you do it? What state are you in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my Masters in Psychology in Pennsylvania, but now live in North Carolina. I am not sure where I will live in the future but you cannot get your LCSW in either of these states without a MSW. I currently work at an inpatient psychiatric unit and love what I do, but cannot promote to working as an intake clinician or social worker unless I am licensed. Both of these career changes would be desirable to me. In the future, I have many career aspirations, such as working as an intake/assessment clinician at a hospital or psychiatric facility, working as a case manager with substance users, and one day I would love to go into private practice. However, the people I work with now who work in intake or social workers have their Masters in Counseling or Social Work. I, also, have my Masters, just not in a concentration that allows me to get licensed.

Could you clarify what you mean by "work in therapy." Also, why can't you do it? What state are you in?

If the OP has a masters in general psychology, this would not qualify him/her to work as a therapist in any state that I know of. It's not a degree that includes clinical experience.

This question has haunted many aspiring clinicians for years (including myself) and sadly nobody can tell you what will be best for you. My advice is this: seek out those who are doing what you want to be doing and find out the route they took and then ask them what they think about both degrees.

Reactions: 1 user
This question has haunted many aspiring clinicians for years (including myself) and sadly nobody can tell you what will be best for you. My advice is this: seek out those who are doing what you want to be doing and find out the route they took and then ask them what they think about both degrees.

This. Although SDN is helpful, ultimately it is up to you what you want to do.

..I am trying to make the decision whether to go back to school for my MSW or for my PsyD. I am interested in working with substance abuse one day, and would specifically like to go into private practice at some point down the road.

Masters level training tends to be more a more nuts and bolts approach to clinical training, while doctoral training spends a lot more time on the why/how of things.…particularly in regard to the research underpinnings of the clinical and assessment work. Since you did not mention either of these things, I'd dissuade you from pursuing doctoral training because direct clinical work is only a portion of the training experience.

Since this thread is still kicking, I also remembered THIS THREAD. I thought it was a good read concerning the MSW vs Other degree discussion.

I posted a thread about this a little while back and 40 or 50 replies later, my takeaway was "Anything but a PsyD." You seem to be interested in substance abuse counseling, and my impression is that a lot of this work has been shifting to LCSWs for a while anyway. If therapy and substance abuse counseling are your areas of interest, an MSW may very well be the way to go. Congratulations on possibly entering the real world 5 to 7 years before I will.

I posted a thread about this a little while back and 40 or 50 replies later, my takeaway was "Anything but a PsyD."

Let me clarify (at least based on what I recommend, as a Psy.D.):

If Psy.D.:
-Only doctoral training (Ph.D. / Psy.D. / Ed.D.) if you are willing to learn/gain solid research training (that you can continue or not after training, but you need to at least receive solid training and mentoring during grad school). The "research is icky" crowd is not appropriate in a doctoral level program.
-Only APA-acred programs
-Only university-based Psy.D. programs that offer funding, so you can minimize debt
-Only programs with a good APA-acred. match rate

As for MSW…I'd recommend that the program be acred. by whomever the main acred. body is for social work. I think it's the CSWE…but I'll defer to someone more in the know about this area.

Reactions: 1 user