PsyD vs MFT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychkid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been battling back and forth on whether I should go for a PsyD or for an MFT. I would be happy with either program but I am going back and forth in terms of costs and benefits. Ideally I would like to open my own private practice.

I have heard from people with MFTs that you need to do 1,500 hours after you graduate, which will take 1-2 years after you get your degree and it is usually unpaid for most of that period. I know that you need to do the same for PsyD, but do those hours get fulfilled during your last year in your internship?

a PsyD costs over $100,000, while MFT is much cheaper. But at the same time, people with PsyD's get paid much more. From what I have heard from people with experience, you can administer tests and insurance companies are more lenient to those with PsyD's.

I think even when I finally make a decision i will apply to both types of programs in California, but I would REALLY appreciate some input. thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I have been battling back and forth on whether I should go for a PsyD or for an MFT. I would be happy with either program but I am going back and forth in terms of costs and benefits. Ideally I would like to open my own private practice.

I have heard from people with MFTs that you need to do 1,500 hours after you graduate, which will take 1-2 years after you get your degree and it is usually unpaid for most of that period. I know that you need to do the same for PsyD, but do those hours get fulfilled during your last year in your internship?

a PsyD costs over $100,000, while MFT is much cheaper. But at the same time, people with PsyD's get paid much more. From what I have heard from people with experience, you can administer tests and insurance companies are more lenient to those with PsyD's.

I think even when I finally make a decision i will apply to both types of programs in California, but I would REALLY appreciate some input. thank you

Doctoral training in clinical psychology (PsyD/PhD) is a totally different animal. Its generally a good fit for people who are interested in getting extensive training in psychological assessment (neuropsychological testing and cognitive assessment etc) , research, and psychotherapy. You will have to be geographically flexible with this degree for internship or post-doc year because of intense competition. A PsyD program will still require research and a dissertation. PsyD path is usually a 7 year process (4-5 years of school + 1 year of internship + 1-2 year of fellowship/post-doc before licensure). You will need to accrue 3,000 hours prior to licensure. Your internship year will count as 1500 or so hours so you will need to accrue additional hours when you graduate (in california i think its 3,000 hours). I have not heard that insurance companies are more lenient to those with PsyDs, but i have heard that PsyDs get paid the same amount as master level providers from insurance companies. Income in private practice is highly variable.

Reactions: 1 user
I have not heard that insurance companies are more lenient to those with PsyDs, but i have heard that PsyDs get paid the same amount as master level providers from insurance companies. Income in private practice is highly variable.

Untrue. Please don't spread misinformation.

Doctoral licensing is the same for all doctorates, and reimbursement rates are based off of your licensure, not degree within clinical psychology. The only exception is if an insurance company is hard up in an area, and they try and negotiate with clinicians who are not providers. To be clear, this isn't about their degree, but instead about paying more for securing a provider in a "dead zone" for coverage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Untrue.

Doctoral licensing is the same for all doctorates, and reimbursement rates are based off of your licensure, not degree within clinical psychology.

I am aware that the licensure is the same. I have heard from social workers in private practice that they bill at the same rate as psychologists. I have heard from licensed psychologists that the rate is only $10 more per hour than the social workers they work with.

Untrue. Please don't spread misinformation.

Doctoral licensing is the same for all doctorates, and reimbursement rates are based off of your licensure, not degree within clinical psychology. The only exception is if an insurance company is hard up in an area, and they try and negotiate with clinicians who are not providers. To be clear, this isn't about their degree, but instead about paying more for securing a provider in a "dead zone" for coverage.

To clarify, I only addressed the PsyD because the OP was interested in getting a PsyD.

I am aware that the licensure is the same. I have heard from social workers in private practice that they bill at the same rate as psychologists. I have heard from licensed psychologists that the rate is only $10 more per hour than the social workers they work with.

This is how misinformation gets propagated.

Most rates are classified as the proprietary information for insurance companies, so it isn't easy for students to be able to fact check this stuff, which is why anyone talking about insurance information should really be careful what they post.