PsyD vs. PhD Counseling Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doktor yoyo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Message Deleted By User

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think Psy.D programs in counseling psych are very rare. They have pretty much stuck with the scientist-practitioner model.

Members don't see this ad :)
PhD programs in Counseling Psychology will give you a range of options and you are much more likely to find funding. In fact, funding for Counseling Psych programs is somewhat higher than for clinical psych, on average. There are, however, fewer programs..but it is a good route to professional practice and definitely less expensive than a PsyD.

Of the schools I've looked at, it looks like PhD programs offer more explicit research-related classes than PsyD. PsyDs also tend to the more expensive end.

I'm in the same boat you are, where both look good but either would fit well with future career goals. FWIW, I'm including both types in my application pool for now.

Some have said that counseling PhDs may be replaced by PsyD programs that incorporate both counseling and clinical psychology... this being due to the bigger "clinical psychology" market out there.

Some PsyD programs also try to model their program to resemble more scientist-practitioner paradigm.

Some have said that counseling PhDs may be replaced by PsyD programs that incorporate both counseling and clinical psychology... this being due to the bigger "clinical psychology" market out there.

Erm, no. There's no similarities between my Counseling Psych PhD program and the majority of the PsyD programs. How on earth does a program "incorporate both counseling and clinical psychology"?

Erm, no. There's no similarities between my Counseling Psych PhD program and the majority of the PsyD programs. How on earth does a program "incorporate both counseling and clinical psychology"?

This article may help clear up some issues:
http://www.psichi.org/pubs/articles/article_73.aspx

Interesting and important topic for those who are stuck on the type of program they'd like to pursue.

:luck:

Depends on your goals. Personally I wouldnt pursue the PhD in Counseling unless I just don't want to accrue debt as with a PsyD. This is because you work towards the degree for 5-7 years( PhD in Counseling) only to result in a Masters level license. And if I am going to put in that amount of work towards a degree then I want the highest level of licensure possible ie clinical psychologist. Also, with a PhD in Counseling, in some states, since you are licensed as a Professional Counselor, you aren't able to do any sort of testing or assessment.

Your decision may also be swayed by the different focus of both programs and the links provided above may give you more insight into that issue.

Depends on your goals. Personally I wouldnt pursue the PhD in Counseling unless I just don't want to accrue debt as with a PsyD. This is because you work towards the degree for 5-7 years( PhD in Counseling) only to result in a Masters level license. And if I am going to put in that amount of work towards a degree then I want the highest level of licensure possible ie clinical psychologist. Also, with a PhD in Counseling, in some states, since you are licensed as a Professional Counselor, you aren't able to do any sort of testing or assessment.

Your decision may also be swayed by the different focus of both programs and the links provided above may give you more insight into that issue.

The OP was speaking about a PhD in counseling psychology, not counseling. Counseling psychology PhD's are eligible for the same licensure that clinical psychology PhD's are...deeming them all psychologists.

The OP was speaking about a PhD in counseling psychology, not counseling. Counseling psychology PhD's are eligible for the same licensure that clinical psychology PhD's are...deeming them all psychologists.

Gotchya, I stand corrected. :)

Hello- I have some questions regarding the PsyD degree in clinical psychology versus the PhD in Counseling.

Which has more of an emphasis on research?

Does one degree allow for more options for jobs? What about salary?

I am interested in becoming a private practitioner and looking for a program that will provide me with the means to do so but without too much research (the less the better) involved. but i am unsure as to how these two degrees differ? I know that the Counseling program is supposed to have more of an emphasis on clinical practice, and Clinical more of an emphasis on research, but for these degrees specifically, which one is more research-oriented?

Also, is one offered more widely at universities than the other?

Which is the best one to go for do you think?
Thank you for your answers.

I am interested in becoming a private practitioner and looking for a program that will provide me with the means to do so but without too much research (the less the better) involved.

Get an MSW.

Or, as I would prefer, frankly, if you actively dislike research don't enter any helping professions.

Get an MSW.

Or, as I would prefer, frankly, if you actively dislike research don't enter any helping professions.

bobobo262626. if you are wondering why JockNerd said this, it is because research informs practice.

I would suggest that you start you search by looking at a list of APA-approved programs in clinical and counseling psychology. Go to programs' websites. You'll see how varied each program's focus can be. Some clinical psychology programs are more practice oriented, some are balanced, and some are research-oriented. They same can be said for counseling psychology programs.

There are more clinical psychology PhD programs than counseling psychology PhD programs.

The best??? That is for you to decide. Many people will apply to both clinical and counseling psychology programs because of "the fit" of the program to their research and/or practice interests.

Counseling Psychology has traditionally been a PhD profession and I think you will find that the PhD will remain better regarded for a long time.

Now that there are more Clinical PsyDs graduating each year things are balancing out in many clinical settings but it will probably take much longer to happen in the domains where Counseling is sometimes the preferred degree (eg university counseling centers). If you have the choice, the PhD has advantages.