PT Aide or In-patient observation hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFS_Ca

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently stuck between what I should do for the summer to strengthen my application.
I recently got offered a position as an aide for a very well known and respect clinic in San Diego, the problem is that I also got approved to volunteer at an in-patient hospital. The hospital is in my hometown which is 8 hours away from San Diego, so I have to choose between.
I let the clinic know and they want me to give them an answer soon so i'm stuck trying to decide which will actually look better when I apply.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I’d personally choose the inpatient hours over being a pt aide. Inpatient is very different from outpatient and it’s definitely important to see before going into physical therapy. Being an aide is helpful, but not as essential.

Being an outpatient aide/tech is a wonderful experience, you get paid hands-on experience and you learn more. Is the position PRN or FT? If it’s PRN, I’d take it, but also schedule in-patient hours as well.

Note: admission committees care more about the diversity of settings you view (esp, in-patient).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently stuck between what I should do for the summer to strengthen my application.
I recently got offered a position as an aide for a very well known and respect clinic in San Diego, the problem is that I also got approved to volunteer at an in-patient hospital. The hospital is in my hometown which is 8 hours away from San Diego, so I have to choose between.
I let the clinic know and they want me to give them an answer soon so i'm stuck trying to decide which will actually look better when I apply.

I personally would do the inpatient because it’s hard to find positions and anyone can find hours in outpatient. But it Honestly depends on what schools you want to apply too. Every program wants different things. I recently was a California applicant this cycle and will be attending school in San Diego. So if you have any questions feel free to message me.

Can you accept the position and just do a few hours for inpatient? Inpatient is invaluable, it is very unique and different than out, and hours are difficult to get. But you don't need to get 80 zillion inpatient hours, either. When I was trying to diversify my observation hours I did just 8 hours of peds, for example - not a lot of course, but at least I was able to experience it and have an idea of what it looked like. Inpatient I did 40. My top choice school required a minimum of 40 hours inpatient and 40 out.
Bottom line - look at what your top choice schools require and prefer.
(I have NO idea if the peds helped me on my app, it did not come up in my interview, but I did also get accepted :))

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with others and would accept the in-patient position. In-patient hours can be very difficult to get.