PT grad transitioning to MD, likely 510 MCAT and 3.91 grad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haussing

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Like the title says I just graduated from PT school and decided that medicine was going to allow me more freedom, more responsibility, more ability to treat my patients, and a greater challenge that PT could. Been studying for the MCAT since graduation (going on 6 weeks) and it seems like I'm going to score 510-515 judging from practice test and questions, but I don't test until July 29th so it could change. I just wanted to get a realistic view of what schools I should be applying to, especially since my app will becoming in kind of late (scores not back until end of August, already pre writing some stuff and plan to do more after MCAT but still). Anyway here's more details:

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: DPT 3.91, Undergrad 3.85
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown Projecting a 510 to 515 with CARS > P/S > BB and Physics/chem
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) GA, unfortunately can only apply to Emory in state because I will be doing online pre reqs
  4. Ethnicity and/or race Black man
  5. Undergraduate institution or category DPT Georgia State, Undergrad UGA
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) 1440 Hours completed as a DPT student in clinic over my 3 years, will have another 1700 as a practicing DPT before matriculation
  7. Research experience and productivity 3 Publications, probably about 400 or so hours, GRA awarded one semester
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented Shadowed a couple Orhto surgeons only about 30 hours total. But my last rotation was in a level one trauma center in Atlanta working closely with all the MDs there so idk if that's anything.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering Developed an original service project which introduced minority HS students to PT (maybe 60 hours of work total) , organized and participated in service events throughout PT school (Community garden clean up, downtown clean ups, local HS volunteering to name a few, maybe 30 hours total), volunteered at a Parkinson's boxing gym (maybe 25 hours), Did some mentoring with the National Black Physical Therapist organization (maybe 10)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) none come to mind
  11. Relevant honors or awards Head Neuroanatomy TA for a year (organized fellow 2nd year DPT students to lead neuro labs, helped to organize and create content for labs with my professor), Developed and delivered a cont. ed. course to practicing PTs through our 3rd year neuroanatomy elective, GRA for our biomechanics lab for a year, a school award for research
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important- I'm doing online pre reqs (for biochem, ochem 1 and 2) so that does limit some options, I don't expect anyone to look into who accepts what for me though I would just love some more suggestions for schools and a realistic perspective of my app.

Here's the school list I've been working on for a while, not sure the realism of any of it to be honest. Open to any and all OOS-friendly suggestions as that's probably where I'll have to go!

Seems like a reach
NYU (freeeeeee lol)
Vanderbilt
UVA
Emory

Hopefully target area?
VCU
UCF
Stony Brook
Einstein
GWU
Rush
Loyola
Maryland
Temple
Wake forest
Cincinnati
Drexel

Hopefully safeties
South Carolina Greenville
Missouri KC
University of Arizona Phoenix

Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is not possible to advise you on schools to apply to until you have an actual MCAT score. Post your score here when available.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You need a score to really assess this … don’t assume anything especially you are thinking of pursuing a competitive specialty. Being humble is incredibly important on this journey you are hoping to start. Take this advice coming from another PT turned 4th year medical student now. Also, you don’t practice as a DPT. You practice as a PT. The DPT is a doctorate level degree, and be proud of that but your role is a PT. Unlike different types of nursing degrees, a PT with a DPT’s role is no different in terms of rights and responsibilities than an MPT.

Reactions: 1 user
So it sounds like you won’t be applying until next cycle. Is that right? I mean with a late MCAT, several prereqs unfinished and your ECs could use some buffing up you should be putting off applying for a year. Your nonclinical volunteering could use some hours focusing on the unserved/underserved in the community. And I think it would be good for your application to have some clinical experience outside of PT. And lastly find a primary care doc to shadow for a few hours. Adding these activities will most likely make your application stronger. And don’t take the MCAT until you are absolutely ready. Good luck.