PT Schools in Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MagDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight on Florida PT schools? Anything like pros/cons, admission tips or advice, things that are more important for an individual school, etc.

I'll be applying to UCF, UF, UNF, USF, FGCU, St. Augustine, and Nova Southeastern this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any insight on Florida PT schools? Anything like pros/cons, admission tips or advice, things that are more important for an individual school, etc.

I'll be applying to UCF, UF, UNF, USF, FGCU, St. Augustine, and Nova Southeastern this summer.

Hello,

I have applied to UCF, FGCU, St Augustine and NSU; got interviewed at UCF, FGCU and St Augustine (declined). I can provide to you what hoops I had to go through for these schools in terms of applying.
  • UCF
    • They do not accept any prerequisite class that are over 7 years
    • You cannot have no more than 2 prerequisites in fall pending and 1 prerequisite in spring pending.
    • They look at your highest pGPA
    • Primarily email the point of contact, she responses quickly and will answer any questions you might have
    • From my experience in the interview, they look at the student as a whole such as work experience, extracurricular activities, volunteer experience, research interest and hobbies.
    • Keep your cover letter and resume current
  • FGCU
    • They look at your GRE, pGPA, and cGPA to determine to invite you to an interview
    • This school uses problem based learning in its curriculum (some students do not like this method of learning)
    • Inpatient volunteer hour are required before you start the program
  • St Augustine
    • They do accept any prerequisites classes over 5 years but they do not count it toward your GPA and that you may have to demonstrate competency for the class that is over 5 years old (mine was the fact I am a current nurse)
    • Does not participate in PTCAS. You must resubmit GRE, transcript, essay, letters of recommendation and volunteer hours.
    • Primarily email the point of contact, they will assign you one after you have started your application
    • They look at your highest pGPA
    • They look at grade tend during your last 60 credits
  • NSU
    • They look at pGPA, cGPA and sGPA. All must be a 3.0 or higher. My sGPA was not and I was denied.
    • If you are close to the main campus, schedule an appointment for an adviser who can answer questions about your application

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to almost all of those schools myself this year. I noticed that often, schools will pick a more well-rounded person over someone who just has high stats. While good stats are important, it seems that being a diverse, unique applicant is more highly valued overall. You want to stand out from the pack. It's critical for both the essay and interviews to have a strong back story for why you chose PT.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the input. I'll be applying this summer, so I'm trying to get as much information as I can. I've been doing lots of research. Have you guys gotten accepted to any of the schools?

Thank you for the input. I'll be applying this summer, so I'm trying to get as much information as I can. I've been doing lots of research. Have you guys gotten accepted to any of the schools?
Hello,

I got waitlisted at FGCU and UCF. I got accepted at UCF.

Congrats. UCF is my top choice. Do you know anything else about their program? Like what they weigh heavier or anything?
From my opinion it seems like UCF DPT program concentrates on current research and community service. Correct me if I am wrong, I believe what they weigh heavier in during the admission process is your cGPA, pGPA and GRE initially then your essay and general experience in life.

From my opinion it seems like UCF DPT program concentrates on current research and community service. Correct me if I am wrong, I believe what they weigh heavier in during the admission process is your cGPA, pGPA and GRE initially then your essay and general experience in life.
That sounds about right. I know that they look at last 60 hours GPA as well. I'm going to an open house soon so hopefully I can get more info.

I got accepted to FGCU, and wait-listed at UNF, UF, and FIU. I'm still crossing my fingers for an acceptance to UNF but I'm happy with FGCU. The reason I think I got wait-listed at UNF and FIU was my interview. I nailed my FGCU interview, but both of those other interviews didn't go as well as I would've liked.

I got accepted to FGCU, and wait-listed at UNF, UF, and FIU. I'm still crossing my fingers for an acceptance to UNF but I'm happy with FGCU. The reason I think I got wait-listed at UNF and FIU was my interview. I nailed my FGCU interview, but both of those other interviews didn't go as well as I would've liked.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you think you didn't do as well for the other two? What kind of questions did they ask?

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't mind me asking, why do you think you didn't do as well for the other two? What kind of questions did they ask?
UNF didn't ask any of the questions I expected, like your typical "Tell me about yourself," "Why do you want to be a PT," "What are your strengths and weaknesses," etc. They didn't ask personal questions like that nor did they ask about observation experience. They asked situational questions. I don't remember specifically, but they asked things like, "Describe a situation where you had a problem working in a group, and how you resolved it." I was able to answer that one, but the other questions were random and hadn't prepared for questions like that, so I struggled to come up with good answers on the spot. It's too bad, because UNF is my first choice.

For FIU, I interviewed with a current first year student, a professor, and a professor and current second year student. They all asked basic personal interview questions, which i was comfortable with. The professor I met with alone seemed disinterested in the interview and only asked me 2-3 questions. I finished early with him and stood in the hall waiting for move to the next interview. It was weird. Also I didn't really understand why I met with a first year student. What bearing should his opinion have on my admission? He didn't seem like he knew what he was doing in the interview. I really liked the second professor I interviewed with. However, the interview as a whole just didn't feel right to me. I declined my position on their waitlist. I've seen a lot of other people had good interview experiences and really liked FIU, so this is obviously just my opinion.

I see what you mean. Were the interviews all individual? Or were they in groups?

I see what you mean. Were the interviews all individual? Or were they in groups?

I also was waitlisted at UNF. I interviewed with 3 other students. I remember we were asked to tell about a time we had a computer malfunction while working on a big assignment or paper. Fortunately (or unfortunately for my interview) that had never happened to me. I BSed my answer and I think they could tell it wasn't sincere :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I also was waitlisted at UNF. I interviewed with 3 other students. I remember we were asked to tell about a time we had a computer malfunction while working on a big assignment or paper. Fortunately (or unfortunately for my interview) that had never happened to me. I BSed my answer and I think they could tell it wasn't sincere :/
That's strange that they ask questions like that....

Lol 3/4 people in my interview group, myself included, said a computer malfunction caused an important essay to be lost. Such a bland answer but it was such a weird question. I just didn't understand how the 4 questions they asked would help them decide who was more qualified to be in their program! So frustrating.

I graduated from UNF last year. I loved it! We didn't interview the year I was accepted, but I helped with the interview process all three years I was there. The interview ranks pretty low on the criteria they use to determine each person's ranking. They score different categories on a scantron. The top 30 scores get into the program. I believe the most important was pre-req GPA, then each of the GRE scores (can't remember if verbal or quant was more important), then science GPA. The interview was pretty far down the list. They essentially want to see if you can communicate with people. As the PT students mingle with the interviewee's beforehand we look out for any red flag people and alert the teachers (people with zero social skills, or really arrogant or disruptive people). I have seen many people get perfect scores from all the interviewers. The wait list goes pretty deep usually. Many people apply to a few FL schools and the top candidates generally get into most of them which leaves spots open at other schools. The small class size is the best part. We truly were a family :)

University: Stetson University
Major: Integrative Health Science
Minor: Public Health Studies
Last 60 Credit Hours GPA: ~3.85
Prerequisite GPA: ~3.5
Cumulative GPA: ~3.6
GRE: 155V 159Q 4.0AW
Observation Hours: ~100 in various settings

Applying to UCF, USF, UF, UNF, FGCU, & University of St. Augustine

Any tips or advice for these schools or my stats?

Lol 3/4 people in my interview group, myself included, said a computer malfunction caused an important essay to be lost. Such a bland answer but it was such a weird question. I just didn't understand how the 4 questions they asked would help them decide who was more qualified to be in their program! So frustrating.

What would happen if you just explained that it's something that you never experienced? They would hold that against you? So basically, they just want to ask a random question to see how you react when making up a story in high-pressure situations?

Anyone have any news or updates about Florida schools?

I've applied to UCF, UNF, UM, FIU, Nova (ft laud & tampa), FGCU, USF, Adventist and Bradley University. Heard from them all saying application is 'complete' and being reviewed. Received an interview from UM & Adventist so far. Denied from Nova (ft laud) and UNF. Waiting to hear back from the others.

I've applied to UCF, UNF, UM, FIU, Nova (ft laud & tampa), FGCU, USF, Adventist and Bradley University. Heard from them all saying application is 'complete' and being reviewed. Received an interview from UM & Adventist so far. Denied from Nova (ft laud) and UNF. Waiting to hear back from the others.

What date was your interview with Adventist?

What are your stats like?

What are your stats like?
School: UCF
Major: Exercise Science
Pre-req GPA: 3.5
Cum GPA: 3.7
GRE: 140V 146Q 3AW (rigged)
OBS HRS: 2000+ (3 various settings)