PT Volunteer Opportunities in Philadelphia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ildandp1212

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a college grad interested in pursuing PT. Before I dive into more pre-req work I wanted to volunteer to make sure this is a direction I want to pursue. Unfortunately, although I've applied to various hospitals (CHOP, Penn Presbyterian etc.) I feel that they are already swamped with volunteers. Although I would prefer inpatient experience, I don't know where to start when looking for private oppurtunities. If anyone has any advice or knowledge, that would be great!

Thanks
 
It took me many months of searching before I finally landed a PT observation position at a hospital. Most hospitals in my area were saturated with volunteers, or wanted me to volunteer in their gift shop before observing PT. I am now commuting to a hospital about an hour away from home once a week for my observation. It's turning out to be a wonderful experience and definitely worth the effort and persistence. I would suggest trying to contact the Rehab departments directly, rather than trying to go through the hospital volunteer programs. That's how I finally got this position.

It's much easier to find shadowing/volunteer positions at outpatient clinics or orthopedic/sports clinics. You can do a search for outpatient or sports PT clinics in your area, and simply call them or show up in person and ask. They are usually very open to this. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would suggest trying to contact the Rehab departments directly, rather than trying to go through the hospital volunteer programs. That's how I finally got this position.

It's much easier to find shadowing/volunteer positions at outpatient clinics or orthopedic/sports clinics. You can do a search for outpatient or sports PT clinics in your area, and simply call them or show up in person and ask. They are usually very open to this. Good luck!

I agree. I actually got in touch with one of my hospital inpatient PTs through a PT in the oupatient clinic where I was shadowing. The others I got by contacting the rehab department directly and bypassing the volunteer programs completely. Good luck!
 
I worked at NovaCare on East Erie Avenue while I was an undergrad. They have a lot of experience with working with volunteers. Give them a call to see if they have any openings.