PTA part time to a PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NotQuiteSure?

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a senior in high school and I know I want to be an athletic trainer and major in kinesiology. I know athletic trainers don't get paid very well or they are about the average. Later in life if I get married and have kids I would want to support my family more and try to get another job. Could I go back to college to get a master's or doctorate's degree for physical therapy while becoming a part time PTA? I don't know if it's possible or if it's a waste of time. I would really appreciate some answers that can help me.
 
I'm a senior in high school and I know I want to be an athletic trainer and major in kinesiology. I know athletic trainers don't get paid very well or they are about the average. Later in life if I get married and have kids I would want to support my family more and try to get another job. Could I go back to college to get a master's or doctorate's degree for physical therapy while becoming a part time PTA? I don't know if it's possible or if it's a waste of time. I would really appreciate some answers that can help me.

I am not sure what you are asking, are you asking to become a PTA at the same time as obtaining a DPT? If so, that is illogical due to the rigors of DPT programs (mon-fri 8am-5pm) plus study time.

If you are asking if you should be a PTA first. The PTA credits may not transfer to undergraduate schools or be accepted at DPT programs; however there are PTA to PT bridge programs. Since your young maybe try to apply to a program that lets you do 3 or 4 years of undergrad and then bridge into the DPT program. Here is one example: http://www.mcphs.edu/academics/programs/premedical-and-health-studies-dpt-mcphs.

I don't know if I answered your question, but maybe I gave you some insight.
 
Also if you do decide on athletic training, you won't be able to major in kinesiology. In order to become a licensed ATC you need to graduate from an accredited athletic training program. You will learn much of what a kinesiology major will as an athletic trainer, if not more. As a Kin major myself I really enjoyed my classes, however it taught me a little about a lot of things. I wish I went the athletic training route because you are more specialized once you graduate. Even though the job market for ATs isn't the greatest, it's even worse for kinesiology/exercise science majors.