PTA part time to a PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotQuiteSure?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior in high school and I know I want to be an athletic trainer and major in kinesiology. I know athletic trainers don't get paid very well or they are about the average. Later in life if I get married and have kids I would want to support my family more and try to get another job. Could I go back to college to get a master's or doctorate's degree for physical therapy while becoming a part time PTA? I don't know if it's possible or if it's a waste of time. I would really appreciate some answers that can help me.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a senior in high school and I know I want to be an athletic trainer and major in kinesiology. I know athletic trainers don't get paid very well or they are about the average. Later in life if I get married and have kids I would want to support my family more and try to get another job. Could I go back to college to get a master's or doctorate's degree for physical therapy while becoming a part time PTA? I don't know if it's possible or if it's a waste of time. I would really appreciate some answers that can help me.

I am not sure what you are asking, are you asking to become a PTA at the same time as obtaining a DPT? If so, that is illogical due to the rigors of DPT programs (mon-fri 8am-5pm) plus study time.

If you are asking if you should be a PTA first. The PTA credits may not transfer to undergraduate schools or be accepted at DPT programs; however there are PTA to PT bridge programs. Since your young maybe try to apply to a program that lets you do 3 or 4 years of undergrad and then bridge into the DPT program. Here is one example: http://www.mcphs.edu/academics/programs/premedical-and-health-studies-dpt-mcphs.

I don't know if I answered your question, but maybe I gave you some insight.

Also if you do decide on athletic training, you won't be able to major in kinesiology. In order to become a licensed ATC you need to graduate from an accredited athletic training program. You will learn much of what a kinesiology major will as an athletic trainer, if not more. As a Kin major myself I really enjoyed my classes, however it taught me a little about a lot of things. I wish I went the athletic training route because you are more specialized once you graduate. Even though the job market for ATs isn't the greatest, it's even worse for kinesiology/exercise science majors.