PTCAS cGPA woes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrentaVeces

Reaction score
I wanted to place this in the Pre-PT thread because I'm sure there are some of you out there who are in similar positions and may be second guessing their hard work and dreams. I know I was beginning to feel as if PTCAS was, in a way, blocking me.

High school stats - top 10% of my class, 3.7 GPA.

I started out my college career back in 2009 uninterested in school and with zero ambitions; I had no idea where I wanted my life to go. I did pretty terrible for 2 years, flirting back and forth with academic probation until I was kicked out of my community college with a solid 1.8 GPA. I entered the work force for a few years, spent some time reflecting on my life and re-enrolled into the same community college I was kicked out of originally. I started back with around 30 credit hours that were usable/transferable, mostly Cs with a few Bs sprinkled in. I retook every class I could at that college and brought the GPA up to around a 2.85 (2.3 in PTCAS with the Fs) before I transferred to UTA for their Exercise Science - Clinical Health Track. From the time I started back in 2014 until my graduation at UTA in Dec. 2017 I didn't make a single grade below an A and graduated summa cum laude from UTA.

I said all that because the way PTCAS factors in cumulative GPAs with every class, even the failures, my cumulative GPA (and yours too maybe) was extremely low, despite my last 80+ hours to be a 4.0. I did average on the GRE on my first attempt so I never retook it, but I did place a lot of emphasis on my observation hours.

So if you're feeling down about how low your cumulative GPA is and you're thinking about giving up, I want you to stick with it and to not sell yourself short, there IS hope, and it IS possible to get in with an extremely rough patch in your academic history.

In 2017, I was denied from the 3 DFW (TWU, UNT, & UTSW) schools with no interview offers.

In 2018, my stats when applying were:
cGPA (PTCAS): 3.02 (UTA - 4.0)
Last 60-80 GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA (depending on school): 3.65-3.80
GRE: 151/151 & 4
LOR: 3 DPT (2 of the 3 are clinical instructors and the 3rd OCS) 1 UTA Professor
Ob. Hours: 3800 hours outpatient (Paid)
200 outpatient/home health/inpatient (volunteer)
Volunteer: 40 hours @ Pediatrics ID camp working with fine/gross motor skills through activities and games

I applied to most of Texas:
UMHB - Denied
UNT - Denied
UTSW - TBD
TWU - Alternate @ Dallas Campus
USA - Declined interview
Baylor Hybrid - Interview/Accepted seat

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Really appreciate the post. I’ll be applying to Baylor this upcoming cycle.

Stats will be,
3.3 cGPA
3.4-3.6 pre req
151 quant 146 verbal 4.5 writing
Over 2000 hours observation
1700 outpatient paid
300 in patient pediatrics, in patient geriatrics, and observation at my undergrads university balance and gait lab

I know you’re probably swamped with stuff now but I’d love to hear what you think my chances are and if you have any tips

Really appreciate the post. I’ll be applying to Baylor this upcoming cycle.

Stats will be,
3.3 cGPA
3.4-3.6 pre req
151 quant 146 verbal 4.5 writing
Over 2000 hours observation
1700 outpatient paid
300 in patient pediatrics, in patient geriatrics, and observation at my undergrads university balance and gait lab

I know you’re probably swamped with stuff now but I’d love to hear what you think my chances are and if you have any tips

Up your GRE scores for sure

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, I'll be applying to Baylor this summer after I retake a couple prereqs. Congrats on the acceptance and thank you for sharing your story!! What was the interview process like? Any insight into how many spots they've filled already? They're my #1 choice for a number of reasons, but anyway, wondering if anyone could check out my stats:

cGPA: they'll probably be looking at my last 60 credits instead which should be 3.5
pGPA: 3.7
GRE: 150/157/4.0
Probably around 1000 paid hours (outpatient) plus few dozen hours in other settings
A successful 9-year [unrelated] career under my belt (I'm a non-trad), if that matters

My main concern is that my awful undergrad GPA from almost a decade ago is still going to be a problem anywhere I apply. I mean, I barely made the minimum to graduate (2.3?). I did, however, successfully land a job right away and worked my way up in the IT industry. So - if anyone bothers to hear that story then maybe I have a chance, but who knows.

Last edited:
Hey there, I'll be applying to Baylor this summer after I retake a couple prereqs. Congrats on the acceptance and thank you for sharing your story!! What was the interview process like? Any insight into how many spots they've filled already? They're my #1 choice for a number of reasons, but anyway, wondering if anyone could check out my stats:

cGPA: they'll probably be looking at my last 60 credits instead which should be 3.5
pGPA: 3.7
GRE: 150/157/4.0
Probably around 1000 paid hours (outpatient) plus few dozen hours in other settings
A successful 9-year [unrelated] career under my belt (I'm a non-trad), if that matters

My main concern is that my awful undergrad GPA from almost a decade ago is still going to be a problem anywhere I apply. I mean, I barely made the minimum to graduate (2.3?). I did, however, successfully land a job right away and worked my way up in the IT industry. So - if anyone bothers to hear that story then maybe I have a chance, but who knows.
Good luck man we will be applying together so hopefully we can be class mates some day