PTCAS Essay read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiana8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied in the last cycle and have already written the essay for PTCAS. If anyone wouldn't mind reading my essay to suggest how I could make some changes to improve my essay that would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• What is professionalism.docx
    164.4 KB · Views: 189
I think this is a great start, and well written; however, it might be beneficial to incorporate more of APTA's concepts in your essay:
Professionalism

I will say I liked how you added so many personal experiences, and my only suggestion would be to relate those experiences to the APTA concepts instead of uplifting attitude and attire. The paragraph on communication was great though!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied in the last cycle and have already written the essay for PTCAS. If anyone wouldn't mind reading my essay to suggest how I could make some changes to improve my essay that would be great!
I would also suggest you focus more on actually answering the question regarding professionalism as a PT student. It's great that you've observed professionalism while shadowing etc., but make sure you discuss how YOU will exhibit professionalism as a student. I feel like you only really mentioned that in the last paragraph, and this should be the focus of your essay. Like mentioned above, incorporate APTA's core values into your essay. I chose 3 to really hone in on, and had anecdotals for each value, along with how I plan to exhibit that value as a PT student. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition, I would suggest you pull from other aspects of your life outside of shadowing (extracurriculars, jobs, volunteer work, academics, etc.). The essay is an opportunity for you to shine, so mention some of the things you've done that coincide with the APTA's values of professionalism to really show that you're prepared to exhibit professionalism as a PT student. Remember, answer the question above all...professionalism as a PT student, not a therapist. If you have space, then you could definitely add in how you plan to exhibit professionalism as a therapist, but you don't want to shy too far away from the prompt :)

I think this is a great start, and well written; however, it might be beneficial to incorporate more of APTA's concepts in your essay:
Professionalism

I will say I liked how you added so many personal experiences, and my only suggestion would be to relate those experiences to the APTA concepts instead of uplifting attitude and attire. The paragraph on communication was great though!

Thank you so much for the feedback!

In addition, I would suggest you pull from other aspects of your life outside of shadowing (extracurriculars, jobs, volunteer work, academics, etc.). The essay is an opportunity for you to shine, so mention some of the things you've done that coincide with the APTA's values of professionalism to really show that you're prepared to exhibit professionalism as a PT student. Remember, answer the question above all...professionalism as a PT student, not a therapist. If you have space, then you could definitely add in how you plan to exhibit professionalism as a therapist, but you don't want to shy too far away from the prompt :)

Thank you so much! You are very helpful! I think while writing this essay it may have been easier to think of ideas for professionalism as a therapist rather than a student. The APTA values should help me out quite a bit.

Would you suggest leaving the shadowing experiences completely out?

Would you suggest leaving the shadowing experiences completely out?
Mmmmm it depends on if you can twist them to fit whatever values you choose to discuss (if you are going that route)

Mmmmm it depends on if you can twist them to fit whatever values you choose to discuss (if you are going that route)
would you mind reading my updated essay?

okay i messaged you! thanks