PTCAS Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strivehigh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anybody be interested in giving my essay for the ptcas a quick read? This is my first time applying to schools so this process is very nerve-racking. This is not by any means my final copy, I have only done a brief spell/grammer check myself and fixed maybe a sentence or two. I just want to know anybody's thoughts on the direction I am taking. Too much personal info? Not enough of the prompt included? Too long? Focus more on stats? Etc. By the way, I use the word "I" quite a bit because it seems other people have chosen to do the same thing.

The prompt asks: What is professionalism in the context of being a student in a doctor of physical therapy program?

I appreciate the time that anybody is willing to give, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Personal statement ptcas.docx
    14.1 KB · Views: 184
I think it's a great start for a school specific question on "Why Physical Therapy"? However, it doesn't really follow the prompt too well. You waited until the very end to mention professionalism. For my essay, I wrote about how different professional experiences lead me to want a career in PT. APTA mentions the core values of professionalism for PT: Professionalism

I chose a few of these, and instead of just listing examples of instances where I was emotionally intelligent or communicated well, I comprised a story about how I grasped these concepts, which then led me to PT...if that makes sense? If you decide to make corrections I would be more than happy to proofread it for you!

I think it's a great start for a school specific question on "Why Physical Therapy"? However, it doesn't really follow the prompt too well. You waited until the very end to mention professionalism. For my essay, I wrote about how different professional experiences lead me to want a career in PT. APTA mentions the core values of professionalism for PT: Professionalism

I chose a few of these, and instead of just listing examples of instances where I was emotionally intelligent or communicated well, I comprised a story about how I grasped these concepts, which then led me to PT...if that makes sense? If you decide to make corrections I would be more than happy to proofread it for you!

Although certainly personal narrative is needed, my opinion and what I did, was tie a specific long term activity in my life and compared anecdotes from this to core values listed by APTA for a PT. I discussed how this piece of my life was preparing me for professionalism in PT school. I do think that you need to set the tone about the prompt in your first paragraph and move on from there. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
I agree with the other two users, I think it is important to address the prompt quickly as it seems you are really answering a questions more like "how did you become interested in PT?" not much about professionalism.
I also think your lexicon is a bit casual. I would try to make it some more academic, or 'professional', if you will ;D

Thank you all for your input. I spent most of the morning revising and editing as much as I could. I took your advice on setting the tone for professionalism in the beginning as well as making it sound more professional as a whole. It looks a lot better than it did before that's for sure!