PTCAS GPA? Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pt1819

Reaction score
My PTCAS application was just verified and unfortunately my science GPA comes to a 2.99. I retook A&P I (got a D+ the first time around and a B the second) but all of my other science courses are a B or better. I know that some programs do not count the initial attempt in their GPA calculations, but how concerned should I be that PTCAS calculated my science at a 2.99? Program websites usually list a 3.0 minimum GPA so am I totally screwed for this cycle even if my cumulative GPA is higher at a 3.4 and my pre-req GPA according to my calculations is a 3.2? Currently freaking out a bit any information is appreciated. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools do not put any weight on the Science GPA. You need to do your research and focus on identifying schools where you meet the minimum cGPA and pGPA and they do not show any minimum for sGPA.
Now you have to find a way to live your life in two different streams:
1. Try to get into a school this cycle by being selective in the application process and prepared for the interview process. It is still possible that you will get accepted or waitlisted this cycle and eventually start a DPT program in the summer or fall of 2019
2. Prepare for the possibility that you will not get accepted in any program this cycle and prepare yourself to be a better candidate in 2019. You really should retake some of your 'B' classes and get solid 'A's, especially in A&P. I don't think any other class is a better indicator of your ability to succeed in the first year of DPT school. Take classes this fall if possible. (If you get waitlisted, you may be able to update your GPA once you complete a couple courses in the fall.)
Stay fully invested in the game. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Many schools do not put any weight on the Science GPA. You need to do your research and focus on identifying schools where you meet the minimum cGPA and pGPA and they do not show any minimum for sGPA.
Now you have to find a way to live your life in two different streams:
1. Try to get into a school this cycle by being selective in the application process and prepared for the interview process. It is still possible that you will get accepted or waitlisted this cycle and eventually start a DPT program in the summer or fall of 2019
2. Prepare for the possibility that you will not get accepted in any program this cycle and prepare yourself to be a better candidate in 2019. You really should retake some of your 'B' classes and get solid 'A's, especially in A&P. I don't think any other class is a better indicator of your ability to succeed in the first year of DPT school. Take classes this fall if possible. (If you get waitlisted, you may be able to update your GPA once you complete a couple courses in the fall.)
Stay fully invested in the game. Good luck to you!
Thank you I appreciate the tips!

Members don't see this ad :)
My PTCAS application was just verified and unfortunately my science GPA comes to a 2.99. I retook A&P I (got a D+ the first time around and a B the second) but all of my other science courses are a B or better. I know that some programs do not count the initial attempt in their GPA calculations, but how concerned should I be that PTCAS calculated my science at a 2.99? Program websites usually list a 3.0 minimum GPA so am I totally screwed for this cycle even if my cumulative GPA is higher at a 3.4 and my pre-req GPA according to my calculations is a 3.2? Currently freaking out a bit any information is appreciated. :(

I think you should be okay! Due to a little too much partying the beginning of my undergraduate career, I received Cs in a couple science classes before I ultimately changed majors and graduated with another degree. I ended up retaking a couple post-bacc and getting As, but PTCAS calculated my science GPA at 2.91 :( But! I have received three interview offers so far. I just focused on schools that take the highest and were likely to make their own calculation. My actual prerequisite GPA is more like 3.4ish depending on program and my overall is 3.1. I just tried to make sure I had other items that made me stand out, like my career in finance, my GRE, etc. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
I think you should be okay! Due to a little too much partying the beginning of my undergraduate career, I received Cs in a couple science classes before I ultimately changed majors and graduated with another degree. I ended up retaking a couple post-bacc and getting As, but PTCAS calculated my science GPA at 2.91 :( But! I have received three interview offers so far. I just focused on schools that take the highest and were likely to make their own calculation. My actual prerequisite GPA is more like 3.4ish depending on program and my overall is 3.1. I just tried to make sure I had other items that made me stand out, like my career in finance, my GRE, etc. Good luck!!

Where are your interviews? I have a similar background!

Thank you!!

As a GA at my PT school I handle admissions information and most schools like ours use our own calculations of GPAs and do not utilize PTCAS

Reactions: 1 user
I have a friend in a similar situation. She called each school she was applying to and they said that they recalculate their own GPA’s! So I think you’re fine. Best of luck :)

Hey can you message me on here? I have the exact same stats as you and have some ideas