PTCAS gpa calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jn7771992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently retaking classes I got C's in to boost my pre-GPA and cGPA as well as my GRE. Does anyone know how PTCAS updates the GPA since I'm pretty worried that both GPAs won't be competitive enough to apply next year? Should I take classes to boost my cGPA or just focus on prepreqs? My goal is to pull cGPA at least 3.0.

My stats:
cGPA from PTCAS without retakes: 2.68
GRE: 287 math and verbal, 4.5 writing
Observation hours: over 200 (outpatient, inpatient, sports medicine, retirement homes/geriatrics) and currently working as PT tech at outpatient orthopedic/sports medicine
Extracurriculars: PT club member, camp counselor for transfer students in college, college recruiter for high school students in my hometown, photography club, volunteered in food banks and retirement homes

Members don't see this ad.

I think the GRE score is of bigger concern than your GPA since there are some schools that only look at the last 60 units or only at pre-req gpa. I would try to get your GRE to around 310 or higher to offset your gpa since getting a higher GRE will be easier than raising your GPA if you already have a large number of units.

As for cGPA or pre-reqs, focus on your pre-reqs since most PT school care what grades you get in those and doing really well in them will also boost your cGPA so its a win win.

Also majority of schools do not use the PTCAS calculation of GPA when considering you for admittance they recalculate it themselves. With that in mind do not apply to schools that do use the PTCAS calculation only. I was in a similar boat got a 312 on the GRE and had a cGPA of 2.93 and pre-req GPA 3.33 with 3000 PT hours and 2000 other medical patient care hours. I applied twice and got in to two schools the second time. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the GRE score is of bigger concern than your GPA since there are some schools that only look at the last 60 units or only at pre-req gpa. I would try to get your GRE to around 310 or higher to offset your gpa since getting a higher GRE will be easier than raising your GPA if you already have a large number of units.

As for cGPA or pre-reqs, focus on your pre-reqs since most PT school care what grades you get in those and doing really well in them will also boost your cGPA so its a win win.

Also majority of schools do not use the PTCAS calculation of GPA when considering you for admittance they recalculate it themselves. With that in mind do not apply to schools that do use the PTCAS calculation only. I was in a similar boat got a 312 on the GRE and had a cGPA of 2.93 and pre-req GPA 3.33 with 3000 PT hours and 2000 other medical patient care hours. I applied twice and got in to two schools the second time. Best of luck.
Agreed on both points. The OP's GRE ideally should be 315+ combined.

Congrats on getting accepted! What did you do between applications to improve your chances of getting in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed on both points. The OP's GRE ideally should be 315+ combined.

Congrats on getting accepted! What did you do between applications to improve your chances of getting in?
You think 315+ is enough to offset a lower end GPA? That is great news if so

You think 315+ is enough to offset a lower end GPA? That is great news if so
I'm merely stating that a 315 is the bare minimum the OP should get. Obviously the higher combined score the better.

Last edited:
I'm merely stating that a 315 is the bare minimum the OP should get. Obviously the higher combined score the better.

Yes, I agree nothing can truly completely offset a low GPA but if your your GRE and hours are way above what the school application averages are it helps.

In between apps I ended up retaking a course and finishing up all my pre-reqs so that none would be "in progress". When schools see there are no outstanding "what if" grades it will give you that extra edge. I also focused on working and I became lead aide during that time which allowed me to take on a more managerial role in the PT setting. Something I wish I did but didn't due to working so much was to volunteer as an aide on weekends in a Skilled nursing facility.

Congrats on your acceptance. I was wondering what did you do to improve your chances of getting in?

Congrats on your acceptance. I was wondering what did you do to improve your chances of getting in?

I became lead aide at my clinic which I held for over as year so I was able to talk about my experiences running C.E. and training for aides, handling patient/therapist complaints, scheduling etc. I also applied to the same schools so I was able to answer their question "have you previously applied to this school and how have you increased the competitiveness of your application?" I also made sure all my pre-reqs were done. Cleaned up my application. I think the best thing I did was to be selective in the schools I applied to and then make sure all parts of my PTCAS application placed emphasis on the large and diverse medical experience I had and how it would help make me a better PT. If you have something unique or some area of the application you excel far above others at then draw attention to it in a humble way on your application to help you stand out. :)

Reactions: 1 user