PTCAS gpa calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JongMyungKim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I e-submited last week and try to get some idea of my GPA before PTCAS calculating my GPA.

I read how they calculate GPA, but just could not understand what they are saying. So, I called PTCAS, and the person over the phone said they adapted only A, B, C, and so on without plus and minus. If his answer is right, B+, B, and B- all would be the same. However, then, he changed that they differently adapt the plus minus letter grade like A-, B+, B- .

Now, I just could not trust the answer I got. Could anyone give definite answer how the PTCAS consider letter grade? Do they have different point for plus minus grade as well or do they ignore plus minus letter grade?

Members don't see this ad.

You can find GPA information on the FAQ portion of the PTCAS website (https://portal.ptcas.org/applicants2013/faq/ptcas_gpas.shtml). Here's how they deal with the +/- portion of a letter grade (ignore the poor formatting - I pasted it directly).

Grade on Transcript PTCAS Letter Grade PTCAS Grade Value
4.00–3.80 A+/A 4.0
3.79–3.60 A- 3.7
3.59–3.40 AB 3.5
3.39–3.10 B+ 3.3
3.09–2.80 B 3.0
2.79–2.60 B- 2.7
2.59–2.40 BC 2.5
2.39–2.10 C+ 2.3
2.09–1.80 C 2.0
1.79–1.60 C- 1.7
1.59–1.40 CD 1.5
1.39–1.10 D+ 1.3
1.09–0.80 D 1.0
0.79–0.60 D- 0.7
0.59–0.40 DE 0.5
Less than or equal to 0.39 F 0.0

Thanks for posting Mowgli47, do you happen to know if PTCAS uses a credit weighted avg for the gpa, or is it somehow equal credit weighted (or perhaps something different altogether)? I feel that I have to ask this question because I do not understand how the actual cumulative gpa that everyone is calculating could differ at all from what PTCAS does. The fact that PTCAS does something different at all makes me wonder... Thanks.

The difference you might be seeing is if your college uses straight gpa w/o the +/- differences. Where A-, A, A+ are all 4.0 B- , B, B+ are all 3.0 etc. I attended a university that used the +/- configs. and community college that did not. So when PTCAS figured all the -s and +s my overall GPA was different than if I figured it based on the college transcripts. PTCAS WILL USE THE +/- per the scale that is posted by MOWGLI for all your course work no matter where you received your grade. it keeps things consistent w/ all applicants. also...... It will also be adjusted for semester credit if you are on quarter hour terms. it should be explianed in the link. Hope this helps.