Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

PTCAS Low Undergrad Cumulative GPA?

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by mikeindfw, Aug 16, 2015.

1. mikeindfw

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    My Undergrad GPA is 2.95 due to PTCAS factoring in all of my repeated irrelevant courses, and that is below the minimum cumulative GPA for most schools. My GPA, without factoring in my repeat, is 3.5 and Prereq GPA is 3.8. I was just wondering how much do schools weigh on the PTCAS GPA compared to their own calculations. I am not even sure if I should apply in to some school with minimum GPA of 3.0, since they might just toss out my application without even looking. Thanks

#1 mikeindfw, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  2. swolecat

2+ Year Member

Happened to me- my first year of undergrad was straight Fs and I obviously got academic probation and stopped attending for like 3 years. Went back and did a lot better but had stats similar to your cumulative and pre-req GPA, so I applied to a school with a minimum of a 3.2 and that one rejected me right out (which is what prompted me to check into how ptcas determines GPA- I thought I was above the mark).

I'm sure everyone is going to say it depends on the school and I'm sure it does. My situation isn't exactly the same as yours because my ptcas GPA ended up being 3.01 (close call!) but for what it's worth, I was still accepted at 3 of the 4 schools I applied to.

I think all schools have a 3.0 minimum GPA, but I also think there are some that do their own grade calculations and don't average out repeated coursework. There are also others that only care about the last 60 credits.

mikeindfw likes this.
  3. ptisfun2

2+ Year Member

DPT / OTD
    Contact the schools you are interested in and ask them. There is no other way to answer this question. A school will be able to tell you if it is worth applying, and if they say they will not review your application, then do not apply! About 16% of our applicants last year applied without meeting our minimum requirements. It is frustrating to see applicants waste their time and money and then complain about price of tuition.

mikeindfw likes this.
  4. starrsgirl

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    Do not apply to any school where you don't meet minimum GPA. Yes, they will automatically reject your application often by a computer. That said, some schools don't use the ptcas calculated GPA and do their own in a different way. So at those schools you might be ok.

mikeindfw likes this.
  5. mikeindfw

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thank you all for the feedbacks. I am still regretting the grades I have made long ago, but I guess there is not anything I can do to change that now. I will try to work with what I have and try my best to get in to the schools that I can apply in to. Thanks again :)

6. starrsgirl

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    I came up short my first year applying too at a 2.9something as well. Needless to say, I did not get in that first cycle and regret the time and money I spent even applying. I spent the whole next year retaking pre reqs as well as any other random class I could take to boost my GPA and it made all the difference in the second round. I got into all my top schools.

7. preptkc77

Pre-Physical Therapy
    Just a quick question- after retaking those classes and taking other classes to boost your GPA, did the retakes then replace the grades of your original grades? I'm new to this and unsure of how GPA calculation works. I also retook some classes after I completed my undergrad so I want to figure out what my GPA is going to look like after doing so. Thanks!

8. starrsgirl

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    My retakes did not replace any grades for me (at any of the schools I applied to). Because I had so many credits already, it was a very slow process to raise my cumulative GPA...but it will slowly crawl up. There are some schools out there that will replace the original grade with the retake when they do their calculations, but your PTCAS GPA will always include everything.