PTCAS questions: Certificates, observation hours, awards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbeLincolnPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a few questions: Currently getting my BLS cert. for healthcare providers. Are here any other certifications that are recommended to take before applying? I recently got out of the military and I was CLS certified, should I place that on my application?

Spring of 2015 I participated in Oberservation hours for Athletic Training at my University part of my intro AT class. Should I list these hours? If so where?

Military awards, my list of military awards is short, should I place my good conduct medal (ARCAM) on my awards page even though it isn't that notable? Otherwise I don't have other medals that I would consider listing, but I want to emphasize my military experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's always wise to get some sort of CPR certification before applying, because you most likely will need it for the program anyway. So good thinking getting your BLS cert! Basically, anything you want the school to know, I would put down. I put down I was CPR certified in my application.

Don't put down the AT observation hours. PT programs only want PT observation hours.

I would definitely put down your military awards! It speaks on your character and gives the prospective schools a real feel for what you are like outside of observation hours, grades, etc. Plus, you want to emphasize your military experience. I would do it.

Best of luck!