PTs for Male Only Patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geological

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know if there are opportunities for male only PTs (PTs who work with only males), though I doubt it. This is due to cultural & background reasons, etc.

Thank you. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a pre PT student, but I've never heard of anything like this. There are plenty of opportunities for flip side of this though.

In my several hundred hours of observing, I have noticed that men generally don't care what sex their PT is as long as they are fixing the problem. Most women don't care either, but there are a pretty good amount who do specifically request female only PTs to do their treatments. I have never seen a man come into the outpatient clinic and request and male only pt, ever.

Last edited:
There may be a handful of PT's who specialize solely in men health issues.

As an aside, I can faintly recall at least one instance during an internship where a male patient specifically requested a male PT. I don't recall if it was a cultural/religious reason or if it was due to the patient's perceived embarrassment from being treated by a woman.

Members don't see this ad :)
There may be a handful of PT's who specialize solely in men health issues.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of men's health would a pt specialize in that doesn't fall into the realm of urology or occupational therapy?

I've dealt with patients when I was working as a PTA that requested specifically male or female PTs because of the area of injury they have (ie- proximal hamstring, hip flexor).

When I was on my last rotation in rural Washington state...I had male patients who requested not to have me because I was doing trigger point release, light manual to the dude's shoulder(rtc repair). The guy said it wasn't right for a guy to massage a guy....hahaha...so I said ok and went and got a free hour of paperwork every 2 days

Just out of curiosity, what kind of men's health would a pt specialize in that doesn't fall into the realm of urology or occupational therapy?

While some diagnoses may fall in the umbrella of urology, I believe treating pelvic floor issues or post sx prostate patients with incontinence/ED falls within the scope of a physical therapist's abilities.

When I was on my last rotation in rural Washington state...I had male patients who requested not to have me because I was doing trigger point release, light manual to the dude's shoulder(rtc repair). The guy said it wasn't right for a guy to massage a guy....hahaha...so I said ok and went and got a free hour of paperwork every 2 days

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. I guess a homophobe QD can really help put a dent into those notes!

I'm sure you can request male-only pts d/t religious or cultural reasons. One of my classmates is an Orthodox Jew, and she can't have any physical contact with guys, except for medical reasons. She tries to avoid getting partnered with a guy in labs (in a nice way), but there are times when she has to work with guys, and she has to adjust to it.

. The guy said it wasn't right for a guy to massage a guy....hahaha...so I said ok and went and got a free hour of paperwork every 2 days

He's been watching too many Seinfeld episodes.

Though not strictly male, veterans affairs facilities serve a patient population that is greater than 90% male. Outside of sports teams, I don't know any other facility where the patient demographics come even close to that imbalance.