Question/advice for PTs/PTAs regarding working while pregnant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dannibambi

Physical Therapist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a PT and just started my 3rd trimester. I usually work outpatient general (ortho, neuro, oncology) full-time but since COVID I have been having to work acute care in our hospital full-time, so I have been doing more heavy lifting of patients than I had originally planned at this point in my pregnancy. Recently it has been getting much more difficult to assist with bed mobility/transfers with my moderate and maximal assist patients and I'm wondering how much longer I should be doing this. I'm also thinking about seeing if I can do more treatments so I can work with patients who I know are min assist, but doubt my rehab director will accommodate that, he would probably just want me to start my leave early rather than "cherry-pick" a physically easier caseload.

TLDR: I don't want to put my baby at risk for a stressed pregnancy, so I'm looking for feedback from other PTs/PTAs: how long did you work through your pregnancy before you went on leave, what setting were you working in, and when did you know it was time to take a step back? This is my first pregnancy so I appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you really have to do all this lifting? Can you ask someone to help you with transfers or even do them for you, like CNAs? I have not been pregnant, but if it starts to feel difficult for you, it's probably the time to stop doing whatever feels difficult for your, your baby's, and patients' safety.