PTs in acute care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this setting? I understand it's embedded in the roots of the profession but times have changed. Do you think this setting is suitable for PTs? Are PTs overeducated for this setting? Does this setting unfavorably reinforce public perception regarding what PTs do?

Members don't see this ad.

Does this setting unfavorably reinforce public perception regarding what PTs do?

I would say yes, most definately. I'm in an acute setting now and feel there is very skill involved (large debate on meds/lab values). A lot of public and other professions only get exposed to PT through this setting and likely have a skewed impression of what our profession can offer.

I'm seeing cases given to PTAs after evaluation and not seen by a PT again. At first I was looking for a trend on less involved pts but nope the PTAs got a wide spectrum of cases and was able to handle their needs with ease. So I think that utilization of PTAs in this setting should be higher and PTs are for consultation on challenging cases.

side note, I was joking with another student today about how it seems like acute PT is where PTs go when they don't want to think too hard (he agreed)(overwhelming stereotype but roots of truth).

side side note, I thought I would hate IP PT but its fun to see people progress so rapidly.