public health a science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

calbears84

professional baller
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If i send in a letter of rec from prof in the public health department...is that considered a science letter?
 
Originally posted by calbears84
If i send in a letter of rec from prof in the public health department...is that considered a science letter?

thats a gray area.....is it a biostats/epi professor (implying some mathematical/statistical inclination)? Or is it environmental health/BSHE/policy and management, etc? With the former I could possibly see, but the latter I'm not too sure, but I'd guess not. Plus, it might depend on the school, some schools are "MPH friendly" (like Tulane, according to a grad at CDC.) I'd say ask the schools you're applying to, but I wouldn't bank on it.
 
i'd agree with DW. i got 2 letters from public health profs -- one from a biostats prof and one from a physiology prof. the physiology is for sure a science letter. the biostats is too (if math is considered a science -- is it?). the same thing would be true for some epi course profs. i don't think international health, health policy, etc.. would be considered science. some environmental health classes might be depending on the nature of the course.