public health as a major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CashRag33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been very hesistant choosing a major. Then recently it dawned on me that public health is a combination of both science and liberal arts, and plus it gears will gear me towards a career path. What I am not so sure about is the nature of this major, is this likely one of those vocational majors that are looked down upon like nursing?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been very hesistant choosing a major. Then recently it dawned on me that public health is a combination of both science and liberal arts, and plus it gears will gear me towards a career path. What I am not so sure about is the nature of this major, is this likely one of those vocational majors that are looked down upon like nursing?

I don't think it's viewed in the same way as nursing or allied health majors. Public health is a legit major as long as the science prereqs aren't the dumbed down versions of intro bio/chem etc.

At my school, a LOT of pre-meds do public health as their major.... so you're most likely okay. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not. There are some people doing Integrated Health Studies (almost the equivalent of Exercise Science) as premeds, and they seem to be doing find. I'm ExSci.

Why is nursing looked down upon?

It's not. There are some people doing Integrated Health Studies (almost the equivalent of Exercise Science) as premeds, and they seem to be doing find. I'm ExSci.

Why is nursing looked down upon?

Med Schools don't like vocational majors.

all you need is a bachelors and do well in your science courses..that's all they look at. Every major is different.

all you need is a bachelors and do well in your science courses..that's all they look at. Every major is different.

Yea, I really don't think public health is looked down upon, and neither is nursing for that matter, as they are health-related. On the other hand, I recently saw a thread post on a major called underwater basket-weaving..not so sure about that one..

Why are nursing degrees looked down upon? I was thinking about doing a 12 month BSN program if I don't get into med school the first time around so that I can fall back on nursing in worst-case-scenario. Is that a terrible idea?

Why are nursing degrees looked down upon? I was thinking about doing a 12 month BSN program if I don't get into med school the first time around so that I can fall back on nursing in worst-case-scenario. Is that a terrible idea?

It is a terrible idea only if you can't answer a few question asked in a hostile manner, "Why did you choose nursing and then change your mind? Are you sure you want medicine? If so, why did you spend your time on a degree in nursing rather than improving your application to medical school? How do we know you aren't going to change your mind again and apply to a dentistry program?"

Some of the vocational majors such as public health, nursing and nutrition are less intellectually rigorous and the students are often perceived as less bright than pre-meds who are majoring in natural sciences. Therefore, the courses might be seen as "easy As" in comparision with more rigorous areas of study.

It is a terrible idea only if you can't answer a few question asked in a hostile manner, "Why did you choose nursing and then change your mind? Are you sure you want medicine? If so, why did you spend your time on a degree in nursing rather than improving your application to medical school? How do we know you aren't going to change your mind again and apply to a dentistry program?"

Some of the vocational majors such as public health, nursing and nutrition are less intellectually rigorous and the students are often perceived as less bright than pre-meds who are majoring in natural sciences. Therefore, the courses might be seen as "easy As" in comparision with more rigorous areas of study.

Is this really the case in the US? I remain sceptical of that as I've heard time and time again that major means nothing in the states. The MCAT and science prereqs are there to test aptitude in sciences. I would have loved to do a public health degree. I think it would have been much more intellectually stimulating for me, personally, as it's not so incredibly boring as biochem! haha besides every major has it's ups and downs anyway.

So, I applied to med school while finishing my Master of Occupational Therapy (obviously a professional/vocational degree). I explained quite clearly in my PS why I was switching, and got interviews at 5/6 schools I applied to. During those 5 interviews, although I got gently asked about the switching (to which I had a very good response, which was received quite well), I never once got a "hostile" interviewer who asked me questions like that. I was only rejected from 1 of the 5 schools. Perhaps I was just lucky, or had an MCAT to compensate for the switching, or I seemed properly in love with going into medicine, but... I just didn't have that experience at all. I didn't know I should be glad about that :confused:

So, I applied to med school while finishing my Master of Occupational Therapy (obviously a professional/vocational degree). I explained quite clearly in my PS why I was switching, and got interviews at 5/6 schools I applied to. During those 5 interviews, although I got gently asked about the switching (to which I had a very good response, which was received quite well), I never once got a "hostile" interviewer who asked me questions like that. I was only rejected from 1 of the 5 schools. Perhaps I was just lucky, or had an MCAT to compensate for the switching, or I seemed properly in love with going into medicine, but... I just didn't have that experience at all. I didn't know I should be glad about that :confused:

If you have a gpa and MCAT that gives you a 92.8% change of being admitted somewhere, you can have a degree in juggling from clown college and you'll still get in to some good places. Mere mortals... might not be so lucky.

I got my BS in public health. I was asked about my major at every interview and received a positive response at all 7 schools. If you can translate the preventative aspect of your public health into why you want to be a doctor, the interviewers will eat it up.

Yea, I really don't think public health is looked down upon, and neither is nursing for that matter, as they are health-related. On the other hand, I recently saw a thread post on a major called underwater basket-weaving..not so sure about that one..

That doesn't matter either because those people would still have to take the pre-med reqs and if they do well in them more power to them. A degree is a degree, every major is different. But, everyone has to take the same pre-med reqs and maybe some upper-lvl science courses if needed.