Public v Private undergrad

tw3609

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm going to be a senior this fall in NJ, and I have a few questions.

First of all, I am not a citizen and do not have my green card (yet). This does not help me when I need all the scholarship I need, but can't even apply for FAFSA. That is why I am thinking about applying more to public schools/state universities than to private/ivy leagues, as they cost much less. I do not wish to be piled up in debt by the time I graduate medical school. But is this a smart choice? Does the kind of reputation your undergrad school holds matter a lot when it comes to med-school application?
If not, can anyone recommend me some good public universities with great premed programs? :D

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm going to be a senior this fall in NJ, and I have a few questions.

First of all, I am not a citizen and do not have my green card (yet). This does not help me when I need all the scholarship I need, but can't even apply for FAFSA. That is why I am thinking about applying more to public schools/state universities than to private/ivy leagues, as they cost much less. I do not wish to be piled up in debt by the time I graduate medical school. But is this a smart choice? Does the kind of reputation your undergrad school holds matter a lot when it comes to med-school application?
If not, can anyone recommend me some good public universities with great premed programs? :D

Thank you in advance!

The reputation issue matters slightly. For example, an applicant from Harvard will win out against an equal applicant from State U. However, that isn't a common scenario. It matters much more what you do as opposed to where you go. If you do really well at a state school, you will win out against a weak candidate from an Ivy League. Reputation can help out a bit, but will definitely not make or break your application.

Personally, if I were in your situation, I would go with the public school unless I got a really good scholarship from a private school. Do not underestimate debt; it can be a major burden later in life. Still apply to private schools, though. They may be able to help you out when they find out about your situation, and you may qualify for some decent scholarships.

Go with the public school. Not only will you save money, you'll shine more as a student.

Boarding school kid by chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to Penn State or UDel for my undergrad. I don't want to go to a really small, really expensive private university. And AntiHouseMD is correct about your preformance outweighing where you go.

Look up schools who send the most amount of students to medical school each year and maybe there will be one that suits you well. These schools must have things like volunteering opportunities, internships, research, and other resources that are able to send their students to med school

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will apply to a few private schools, just in case they offer me generous scholarships. If not, I will settle for public. And yes, I will try to look for undergrads with more students sent to med schools. :)

Meanwhile, any suggestions as to good, if not great, premed undergrad schools?