Public vs Private School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adokotala

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone weigh in on whether it is worth the debt to go to private med school versus public? I have been accepted at my state school, where I will leave essentially debt-free, or I can go to a private school where I'll leave owing probably 250K+. I can't decide if there is any justification as the schools are very similar (match list results, curriculum set up, EC opportunities, USNWR rankings, etc) with the most major difference being cost and location.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the standard-fare answer is that there is not enough to justify going to a private school, but of course that depends on the school, your goals, and your own personal preferences.

Depends, I'm an NC resident and wouldn't necessarily pick somewhere like Harvard over UNC, but if I was in, say Nebraska or something, I'd probably rather go to Harvard... (no offense to anyone who lives in Nebraska or enjoys the state...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone weigh in on whether it is worth the debt to go to private med school versus public? I have been accepted at my state school, where I will leave essentially debt-free, or I can go to a private school where I'll leave owing probably 250K+. I can't decide if there is any justification as the schools are very similar (match list results, curriculum set up, EC opportunities, USNWR rankings, etc) with the most major difference being cost and location.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

In your situation I would go with my state school.

wanna be a little more specific on the schools? Maybe we can knit pick things out and try to come to a more logically conclusion than it costs 150k less its better

Take the money and run.

wanna be a little more specific on the schools? Maybe we can knit pick things out and try to come to a more logically conclusion than it costs 150k less its better

I've been accepted at a few places, but the ones I am most considering now are SUNY Stony Brook, Albert Einstein, and George Washington. I think I'm leaning towards something in pediatrics, possibly pediatric infectious disease or neonatology. The most important thing to me is the ability to do some sort of international work after the long haul of med school/residency/fellowship...

I've been accepted at a few places, but the ones I am most considering now are SUNY Stony Brook, Albert Einstein, and George Washington. I think I'm leaning towards something in pediatrics, possibly pediatric infectious disease or neonatology. The most important thing to me is the ability to do some sort of international work after the long haul of med school/residency/fellowship...

International Work = pennies
So, 250K in debt would be bad in your case.